SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-16, 12:41 PM   #376
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I've been looking at the FOTRS v1.3 Data/Library/AnimGraphs folder (the additions that FOTRS put into the game). Here's a look at the folder, pay no attention to the red circles for now:

These .dat files are for the various crewmen that are animated. What I've found is there are some large differences between the stock game and FOTRS.

Based on the idea (correct me if I'm wrong), that the stock game doesn't have the "Sound" issue that FOTRS has. Yet, as Rockin Robbins stated:
Quote:
Report on "the sound." I'm using sounds from TMO 2.5, which are nearly identical to FOTRS ......... and I get the sound there too.
I'm beginning to see why (I'll get to that later).

The four red circled .dat files all have something in common, they all have added content that also has speech files added when compared to the stock game. Here's the WCO.dat file (he's the crewman playing the Watch Commander on the bridge), the Stock game is on the left, FOTRS v1.3 is on the right:

Quite a bit more content with animations....and more importantly, some speech files added as well.

Of the 8 FOTRS .dat files in this folder, the four circled have added speech that the others do not. It's these four .dat files that I propose you should replace with the stock game .dat files.....then try a new game (don't just replay a "saved" game point) to see if the "sound" returns. This is important!! NEVER replay a saved game point with files that have changed after the saved point was made.

As far as I'm concerned, the additions of extra animation, or speech use by these crewmen is not important when it comes to removing the "sound" issue you guys have been encountering. I couldn't care less if the guy turns around and say's "Yes Sir" when I issue an order.

========

As far as the same sound in TMO 2.0, here's the NA.dat file (he's the crewman standing at the helm wheel in the subs Command Room or Conning Tower). Notice the date when created:

Here's FOTRS v1.3:

No small coincidence that they were made on the same date, short of a few hours difference!! Ducimus seems to been working hand in hand with the FOTRS bunch....... little wonder the "sound" is the same for both mods!

Will my suggested changes back to the stock game .dat files make a difference? Don't know, but its worth a try.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-30-16 at 12:52 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 01:18 PM   #377
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Yes you may and yes I'll be the crash test dummy on that!
Rather tragically I cannot figure out how to upload to the Google Drive thingy

So I put it here on my Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdk3ugp2sg...Water.rar?dl=0

Should be JSGME ready

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 01:26 PM   #378
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Will my suggested changes back to the stock game .dat files make a difference? Don't know, but its worth a try.
Outstanding detective work Capn

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 06-30-16, 03:11 PM   #379
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Rather tragically I cannot figure out how to upload to the Google Drive thingy

So I put it here on my Dropbox

Should be JSGME ready
What I've done to get it working, for me anyway, is I "Opened in Drive", which means in my account. That copies the directories over to my Google Drive Account, and from there, I can add a sub-directory if needed, or use and existing sub-directory. You right-click on the empty area of the "drive" background screen, and should get a Google context menu with "Upload / Download / Out In the Kitchen" - sorry, Kentuckism... won't happen again - until the next time...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 03:20 PM   #380
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I've been looking at the FOTRS v1.3 Data/Library/AnimGraphs folder (the additions that FOTRS put into the game)...

These .dat files are for the various crewmen that are animated. What I've found is there are some large differences between the stock game and FOTRS...

Based on the idea (correct me if I'm wrong), that the stock game doesn't have the "Sound" issue that FOTRS has...

... they all have added content that also has speech files added when compared to the stock game... ... Quite a bit more content with animations... and more importantly, some speech files added as well.

Of the 8 FOTRS .dat files ... I propose you should replace with the stock game .dat files...

... No small coincidence that they were made on the same date...

... Will my suggested changes back to the stock game .dat files make a difference? Don't know, but its worth a try.
I'm on it like stink... but maybe that's my armpits...

That's the part I was looking for CapnScurvy, the "calls" or announcements of a radar contact. I only have one question for you sir, if I may: How in the world do you find things like this? This is like the third time, just on this project, that you've found something along these lines. Are you just opening the files, one at a time, and looking (like I have been), but you're a fast reader, or is it just being familiar with modding and what is where? Excellent, very helpful find CapnScurvy.

As for the animations themselves, half the time, the crew doesn't move anyway, so why have any? Trying to "sync" the lips is like trying to "sink" the Yamato while it's traveling at flank speed... only harder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 03:52 PM   #381
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Default No "sound"?

Propbeanie, I have yet to encounter "the Sound" or similar problems while running my "slightly modified" FOTRS Ultimate 0.3 Alpha for the last days. Running it using your corrections of course.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 03:57 PM   #382
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Right I think I have the clarity thing figured out

Here is the FOTRS scene DAT

Which gives the following result

The following is from my tweaked TMO install

Dat

Giving a result of

The difference is in EnvData/Underwater/Fog/Zmin and Zmax, which seem to affect the underwater vision distance

The upshot of which was that I got buzzed by a couple of IJN/IJA aircraft whilst at PD when they came close enough

Should up the pucker factor

PS - as I said - law of unintended consequences, we do not know how this may affect IJN destroyers

EDIT
I can upload this new Scene Dat to the Google Drive if anybody fancies giving it a go!
Count me in!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 04:12 PM   #383
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Funny you should say that - I was just sending a PM to RR about this

Then I figured - why make it a PM. Make it general - always good to share thoughts and knowledge right?

The PM I sent follows, there is a download link in there if you look hard enough

Hi RR
You may have already seen it in the forums, but I will send you a PM just in case

Tried to upload my modified FOTRS scene DAT to the google drive thingy
To my eternal shame could not figure out how to do it
And I work with frikkin' computers every day

Anyway - if you missed the post in the forums here is the link

Had another thought today whilst I was zipping around the Celebes looking for an air contact to test it (ain't that always the way? When in a proper career they come along like busses. You go looking for them and all of a sudden they are real shy)

ie. it probably works in conjunction with whatever Ducimus had the aircraft sensors set at.

If I am understanding right, the game will detect you if you are within x yards, at y profile, for z seconds.
Light up all three and they are coming for you
If AOTDMadMax's sensor bubble is smaller that Ducimus's (which I suspect it may be), then maybe just making the water clearer might not do the job?

It might not be Just the underwater clarity that made the TMO aircraft spot me at PD
As I am sure you are well aware - there is a massive level of what I like to call 'the interconnectedness of all things' in this game

just some random thoughts on the sensor question

Another thought - I will also post this on the thread - always good to share knowledge (or just hunches) right??

EDIT - I should add that when I say I was buzzed at PD by Japanese aircraft, it was when I was running this scene.dat in TMO 2.5. I have not actually tested it on FOTRS Ultimate

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 06-30-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 04:14 PM   #384
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

The folder "Falloftherisingsun...." has this structure:

Falloftherisingsun....\data\etc....

See if you have this structure.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 05:01 PM   #385
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Can I just check with anyone?

Whenever I try to enter the museum I get a rainbow coloured crash screen then my whole PC locks up.
I have to do a hard restart.

Do we all have this?
I which case we may have problems

Or is it just me having this
In which case I obviously have major problems

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 06-30-16, 05:07 PM   #386
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:

Whenever I try to enter the museum I get a rainbow coloured crash screen then my whole PC locks up.

Do we all have this?

I'll check my install when I get home tonight and report back.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 05:09 PM   #387
max-peck
Grey Wolf

nice one - cheers mate

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 06-30-16, 05:23 PM   #388
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Do we all have this?

This problem with FOTRS V2.0 and the Museum I had indicated before.
However, I am not sure whether there is actually an acute or even chronic problem exists ... it could be due to the enormous mass of ships ... somehow SH4 has a problem with that.
But actually I had only a CTD, a PC restart was not necessary.

Last edited by Bleiente; 06-30-16 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 05:24 PM   #389
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Managed to get s shot of it on my phone ( could not take a proper screenshot, it locked my whole PC UP)

Does anyone get this when going into the museum/
Or is it just me?

Either way - it looks like bad news

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 06-30-16, 05:27 PM   #390
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
That's the part I was looking for CapnScurvy, the "calls" or announcements of a radar contact. I only have one question for you sir, if I may: How in the world do you find things like this?
I've had to have a good working knowledge of mods in order to get my mods compatible with the others. This means working with stock files and seeing what's changed when they are modded by someone. Then figuring out how my changes can work within someone else's changes. I've never looked into the animated files before, yet when I found they contain "Orders" with specific links to speech and animation for the speech, it became apparent this is where to look (I knew the CFG/Commands.cfg file didn't link the speech files to a particular key stroke. Neither did the Sounds folder). And wala, there are the links to match an order like "Snorkel Depth" to a speech phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck
If I am understanding right, the game will detect you if you are within x yards, at y profile, for z seconds.
Light up all three and they are coming for you
Well, pretty much. There are other factors too that make detection of your sub, either in your favor or against your odds of being detected.

But, I'm fairly sure that the water being clearer (or cloudy) isn't one of them. That's just eye candy for us, not a factor in detection.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote