SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-17, 05:03 AM   #3826
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
What I saw was at least to me, very interesting. I took a screenshot of the target and resumed the action. Later I took the screenshot of the map as to report what I saw.
Looks to me as two ships that spawned in the same location.
Old 02-12-17, 09:46 AM   #3827
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
That is apparently a problem common to every Japanese port I've looked into, the latest in v.053 on a mission to drop troops on Okinawa. I don't know the spawning mechanism, but it is definitely doing multiple spawns in the same berths.

There is also an issue with tc and getting too close to land. Anything within 30 miles of land featuring a port will cause my machine to stutter, and not allow tc greater than 256x. I know some don't like to use tc, but it is not normal in my SH4 experience to have such a drastic effect when trying to creep up to a location near shore, such as an agent dropoff. I have actually had a CTD while trying to maintain a 256x tc too close (a mile or so) from shore. This appears to be a problem introduced with the later versions of FOTARS Ultimate. The only tc effect I ever encountered in years of TMO with or without RSRDS was a drop to 4x in shallow waters. Something is amiss. I suppose it could be a problem with the level of detail generated in ports and towns, something much more evident in FOTARS, but I have a pretty good graphics card that never had the problem before. In the open sea, I can run at 8192x with no problems.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 10:18 AM   #3828
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1804
Default Help with CMS

I have a graphics corruption in my latest career in FOTRSU. And I am trying to use CMS to fix it. I have changed the name of the game install to FOTRSU1. I am trying to use Websters fix first. How do I make CMS recognize the installation with that name?

Edit: Never mind I don't think that you can make it recognize it. I will just delete and reinstall and leave the name of the root alone.

Last edited by J0313; 02-12-17 at 11:45 AM.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 11:47 AM   #3829
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Addition to CMS.

This is a great tool RR. Is it possible to add an OM installation option to it?
Old 02-12-17, 01:12 PM   #3830
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi J
IIRC they are only labels.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:45 PM   #3831
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
This is a great tool RR. Is it possible to add an OM installation option to it?
Yes, the Berbster is correct. Those are only labels and you can even change the name of the directory when you're through. I'm so American/Pacific War-centric I didn't even think about OM!

But when you create a mod specific directory, it's always the same no matter what mods you shove into that installation. If you're going to use MultiSH4, I'd avoid making the game save directory named "OM(space)." It will look just like "OM" but won't be. Sometimes that could be frustrating. Always use three letters when defining a savegame directory in MultiSH4, just for clarity.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 04:12 PM   #3832
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Propbeanie,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your message. Between my job and the commune to and from, I don't have much time left in the day.

When I first spotted the ship through the scope, it was ID as a 'Whale Factory Ship". I closed to 7,000 yards and fired four torpedoes. I did a 180 degree turn and started to leave the area because it was daylight and very shallow water. Not much room for a submarine to maneuver in. I like to follow the torpedoes as they go towards the target with the outside camera. As I got closer to the target, something didn't look right. So I paused the action and went to take a closer look at the target. What I saw was at least to me, very interesting. I took a screenshot of the target and resumed the action. Later I took the screenshot of the map as to report what I saw.

When the torpedoes hit, The Whale Factory Ship sunk and the bow was above water. The bow started moving away from the Large Old Tanker to where it is on the map. I fired four aft torpedoes at the Large Old Tanker which sunk it where it was without moving. Moments later, radar pick up a ship coming to where the ship sunk, which turned out to be a destroyer.

Hope this explains the icons on the map.

Larry
Thanks for the update Larry. Do you happen to remember the timeframe you were sailing and found this? As Hitman says, it's a definite double-span, possibly from the same file, but might be one from each of two files. The torps may still have run deep, hence the tanker getting hit first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
'zactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
That is apparently a problem common to every Japanese port I've looked into, the latest in v.053 on a mission to drop troops on Okinawa. I don't know the spawning mechanism, but it is definitely doing multiple spawns in the same berths.
Do you have the timeframe for that torpedobait? We try to dig through the files and either move one or the other, or delete the 2nd one altogether.

Quote:
There is also an issue with tc and getting too close to land. Anything within 30 miles of land featuring a port will cause my machine to stutter, and not allow tc greater than 256x. I know some don't like to use tc, but it is not normal in my SH4 experience to have such a drastic effect when trying to creep up to a location near shore, such as an agent dropoff. I have actually had a CTD while trying to maintain a 256x tc too close (a mile or so) from shore. This appears to be a problem introduced with the later versions of FOTARS Ultimate. The only tc effect I ever encountered in years of TMO with or without RSRDS was a drop to 4x in shallow waters. Something is amiss. I suppose it could be a problem with the level of detail generated in ports and towns, something much more evident in FOTARS, but I have a pretty good graphics card that never had the problem before. In the open sea, I can run at 8192x with no problems.
This is most likely the Jap_HarborTraffic.mis file, which runs the entire game and has 1289 RGG in it, most in the Japanese Islands area. I am in the process of splitting the file up into 6 files, like the other base Campaign files are, so that we can eliminate even a hint of a double-spawn happening, since everything would be set to one spawn and one spawn only. It will still take a bit to do though. FotRSU has the same restrictions for TC near land as most other mods, so if TMO drops you to 4x in shallow water, so does FotRSU. There are still some graphics elements in the game that are dragging certain combinations down, such as I can get when I play a certain mission, and look at one particular ship (the Catapult Ship), but looking at the ship's files, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong. So why does it do that in this one mission?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... Always use three letters when defining a savegame directory in MultiSH4, just for clarity.
It's been a while since I tried, but I think you can use numbers also, can't you?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 04:51 PM   #3833
J0313
Grey Wolf

[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;2465477]Yes, the Berbster is correct. Those are only labels and you can even change the name of the directory when you're through. I'm so American/Pacific War-centric I didn't even think about OM!

But when you create a mod specific directory, it's always the same no matter what mods you shove into that installation. If you're going to use MultiSH4, I'd avoid making the game save directory named "OM(space)." It will look just like "OM" but won't be. Sometimes that could be frustrating. Always use three letters when defining a savegame directory in MultiSH4, just for clarity.[/QUOTE

My problem earlier stems from the fact that CMS can only recognize the version names that you have in the patch ie: FOTRSU or RFB etc, etc. The fix part or websters fix won't work on the game if you named the root install something else like I did.

I do know how to use multi sh4 because I've been using it for years now.
Old 02-12-17, 11:26 PM   #3834
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

PIG BOAT MISSIONS

I'm happy to announce that the Pig Boat missions are now complete. There are eleven missions in total. I suppose that they should be classified more as single patrols than single missions. I have made them JSGME ready so they will go right into the single missions folder. I'm using a double folder for this so make sure you take and copy and paste the inside folder into your Mod Folder in your game directory.

The Mission titles are listed below;

1. Appari
2. Rabaul
3. Attu
4. Davao Gulf
5. Coast Of Indochina
6. Singapore
7. Shortland Islands
8. Bashi Channel
9. Bismarck sea
10. The Slot
11. Gulf Of Siam

Of course, I could have waited and had them be released in one of our future Beta releases, bu t I'd like to get some feedback from people who give these missions a try. I would appreciate it if the people who try these missions would supply a critique of what they think of the missions. I always appreciate some feedback on my work.

Pig Boat Missions

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 03:13 AM   #3835
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 369
Icon1

[QUOTE=propbeanie;2465509]Thanks for the update Larry. Do you happen to remember the timeframe you were sailing and found this? As Hitman says, it's a definite double-span, possibly from the same file, but might be one from each of two files. The torps may still have run deep, hence the tanker getting hit first...

Time frame was May 13, 1943 @ 13:35 hrs, (local time, Midway). Lat 167 40' E Long 8 50'N.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 07:31 AM   #3836
propbeanie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks for the update Larry. Do you happen to remember the timeframe you were sailing and found this? As Hitman says, it's a definite double-span, possibly from the same file, but might be one from each of two files. The torps may still have run deep, hence the tanker getting hit first...
Time frame was May 13, 1943 @ 13:35 hrs, (local time, Midway). Lat 167 40' E Long 8 50'N.
Cool. very precise! Thanks. I've been looking, but haven't found anything, and this will put me right on it in the 42b files, I hope...

Old 02-13-17, 07:48 AM   #3837
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post

My problem earlier stems from the fact that CMS can only recognize the version names that you have in the patch ie: FOTRSU or RFB etc, etc. The fix part or websters fix won't work on the game if you named the root install something else like I did.

I do know how to use multi sh4 because I've been using it for years now.
You are correct! Looks like a modification to SH4CMS is in order! Luckily, or not, its modular construction makes modification really easy. So Operation Monsun will be supported and suggested savegame/settings directory name is OM1. Installation directory will be SH4OM1,

The SH4CMS thread is in the Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific forum and not here because SH4CMS isn't a mod and I don't want people trying to install it like a mod with JSGME. Look for the update there.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 07:53 AM   #3838
propbeanie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cool. very precise! Thanks. I've been looking, but haven't found anything, and this will put me right on it in the 42b files, I hope...
OK, I've gone through a bunch of the files again, twice now through the 42b files just now, and there is nothing being spawned there to park in that particular location, other than a single "Landed H6K" airplane from Jap_HarborTraffic. I'm trying to figure out where they could possibly have come from, and the whaling vessels are in the Jap_CoastalTraffic only, I think, so that layer has to be partially at fault... maybe. Something went whonky though... - just thought to ask: do you have any other mods installed?

Edit: Looking even further into it, about the only "reasonable" cause (though highly unlikely) would be a T07B Large Old Tanker in a group from either the Jap_Merchants or the Jap_Convoys file, crossed paths with another group with the Whale Factory Ship, which diverted those two ships (somehow) out of their respective groups. The way they can "merge into one" like your screen cap has is that the one vessel backed into the other. There apparently isn't any collision detection when that happens. The inexplicable is where is the rest of the two groups? Especially the Whaling group, of which the Whale Factory is the "leader". But there are two whaling "convoys" that go by the Marshalls (not through though), and two groups that have the potential to have a Large Old Tanker in them that go by the area... The traffic in the Marshall Islands area has not been changed since back in like v0.26 or so...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-13-17 at 08:49 AM. Reason: More checks
Old 02-13-17, 09:14 AM   #3839
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Do you have the timeframe for that torpedobait? We try to dig through the files and either move one or the other, or delete the 2nd one altogether.

This is most likely the Jap_HarborTraffic.mis file, which runs the entire game and has 1289 RGG in it, most in the Japanese Islands area. I am in the process of splitting the file up into 6 files, like the other base Campaign files are, so that we can eliminate even a hint of a double-spawn happening, since everything would be set to one spawn and one spawn only. It will still take a bit to do though. FotRSU has the same restrictions for TC near land as most other mods, so if TMO drops you to 4x in shallow water, so does FotRSU. There are still some graphics elements in the game that are dragging certain combinations down, such as I can get when I play a certain mission, and look at one particular ship (the Catapult Ship), but looking at the ship's files, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong. So why does it do that in this one mission?...

It's been a while since I tried, but I think you can use numbers also, can't you?[/QUOTE]

Propbeanie (love that name!), I see this happening at least from 9/42 through my latest ongoing mission on 11/24/42. I usually delete my interim saved games after completing a patrol, so the September date is not as specific as it could have been. Hope this helps!

Old 02-13-17, 09:27 AM   #3840
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

It's been a while since I tried, but I think you can use numbers also, can't you?
Propbeanie (love that name!), I see this happening at least from 9/42 through my latest ongoing mission on 11/24/42. I usually delete my interim saved games after completing a patrol, so the September date is not as specific as it could have been. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, the normal tc drops for shallow water, enemy planes, ships encountered, etc. all work just fine. The slow downs encountered when approaching within 25 miles of a Japanese coastline are what I'm seeing, even when there are no ports in the vicinity. I ran out to see after dropping an agent, trying to use max tc. The best it would do was 128x, and that was jerky, until I got farther from land. There were no ports near the drop point, so it wasn't the expected "jerkiness" you get when the game is building a harbor, etc. It was the inability to run at more than 128x. Once getting about 20 miles from shore, the tc max increased to 1024x, and after 25 miles it was like releasing a brake. TC max was back to 8192 (if I wanted to use it, which I don't usually anywhere near a combat zone).

You get the same effect when leaving a US port, including Midway, where the max tc available is around 1024x until passing about 25 miles from there. I understand that is more than reasonable, giving the complex structures built for ports, and the boat needs to clear away from there so the game no longer has to build all those graphics. However, near the Japanese shores, including Okinawa in my recent experience, the tc max drops dramatically once inside 25 miles from any coastline, whether there is a port or not. Perhaps its the land detail? I could cut back on the level of detail in the graphics settings, I suppose, but I've never had to do that until these public releases of FOTARS.