SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-08, 02:35 PM   #256
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube4
First of all thanks for a realy great addon. This makes it so much more realistic.

I my self is left-handed and thus sometimes using the mouse with my left hand. This causes problem with the "LEFTUP", "LEFTDOWN" function in your perl script. For some strange reason it does not recognize that I have swopped my mouse buttons, and this makes the button select to fail.

I tried to install both perl and pyton - but since I'm not a regular pyton programmer, I did not managed to get the hear.py to compile due to a missing win32com.gen_py.

I did try to look around to get it fixed but no luck so far.

Is this something that can be considered into the module sometime?

Again, thanks a lot for a realy great add-on.

Are you sure you have the latest version? The latest version simply requires you to install the speech engine and then simply run the executable. (That was the very reason I finally decided to install it. minsc made it so easy to install, I finally bit... and I'm VERY glad that I did!)

Bill
Old 02-17-08, 05:17 PM   #257
Tube4
Watch

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Are you sure you have the latest version? The latest version simply requires you to install the speech engine and then simply run the executable. (That was the very reason I finally decided to install it. minsc made it so easy to install, I finally bit... and I'm VERY glad that I did!)

Bill
Sorry if I explained this wrong. Nothing wrong with the install at all, it works as a beauty. It's only me trying to get the source code compiled to test out some changes for "lefthanded". Still no luck though.....
Old 02-17-08, 08:40 PM   #258
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube4
Quote:

Bill
Sorry if I explained this wrong. Nothing wrong with the install at all, it works as a beauty. It's only me trying to get the source code compiled to test out some changes for "lefthanded". Still no luck though.....
You didn't explain it wrong - I just read it wrong! Sorry.

Bill
Old 02-19-08, 06:35 PM   #259
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Tube4 - I would be happy to make a modification to the system that allows you to swap these. Making it detect the OS mouse settings would be difficult, albeit ideal, I don't have the time for that. But I could put in a little config tweak that would allow you to tell my code that it is left-handed. I might be able to do this as early as tonight, but it's hard to say.

In the meantime, if you want to keep trying to do it yourself for fun, here's a tip: You don't need to recompile the python stuff which results in hear.exe. That has nothing to do with this. All you would really have to do is swap all instances of LEFTDOWN and LEFTUP in voice.pl with RIGHTDOWN and RIGHTUP. Then you can just compile voice.pl into voice.exe using the free trial version of perl2exe (google that). Then put voice.exe into the DIST folder and you're set.

However, there are certain libraries that you would need installed into Perl to make it compile. To get these, just look in voice.pl for any line starting with "use" such as "use Math::Trig" and from a command line, swap the colon with a dash, like so, to type: "ppm install Math-Trig" and you should get the library automatically. Once they're all installed it should compile clean.

Or you can just wait for 2.51 which will have this feature
Old 02-20-08, 01:40 AM   #260
minsc_tdp
XO

Default 2.51

2.51 posted with left-handed support!
Old 02-22-08, 11:06 AM   #261
Tube4
Watch

Thanks for you prompt response.

I did test your beta release, and using Trigger-manu for left it still don't work (same as before)

Seems to me that the game do not recognize the left mouse button as main. Could be that this is within core SHIV.

Another thing that hit my head - is it possible as an add-on to the press to talk switch to have sh4speech recognize a command to stop listening or stop listening until a new command is issued?
Old 02-22-08, 08:05 PM   #262
minsc_tdp
XO

Default good idea

Yeah, I could probably add a "start listening" and "stop listening" command very easily.

You could also then change it to something more creative, like "captain on deck!" and "xo you have the con", for example.

I'll work on this when I get a chance, and I will also investigate the left/right mouse button issue!
Old 02-23-08, 09:07 AM   #263
Tube4
Watch

That sounds great.

And I heve to repeat that this speech tool adds a whole new dimmension to running SHIV. You've done a realy good job on it.

I just had to train my speech software a little bit (probably since I'm not a native english speaker) and since then it has worked like a dream.

Keep up you good work, and thanks a lot for you contribution.

Last edited by Tube4; 02-23-08 at 12:37 PM.
Tube4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 07:19 PM   #264
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Beauty

Minsc_tdp;
finally gave this a shot. In a word, excellent!! It really adds to the immersion.

A couple of questions;
1. I can't seem to get my 10 torpedo tubes recognized. It's fine up to 'tube 6' but 7 to 10 won't work and I have to click on them. I always start my game with "I have 10 tubes" and "reset tubes". Am I missing something?
2. Is there a way to avoid having the cursor jump around in reaction to the voice command? If not, no biggie, it's just a small distraction.

I've also got TrackIR and I'm just now wondering if I use that on 'mouse emulation' mode if I can move my 'view' using the TrackIR? Hmmmmm:hmm:

Overall, SH4 Speech on top of the TM and RSRD mods has been the best addition to this game. I changed the direction commands to be "come left/right 10, 15, 20 degrees" as opposed to "heading...." and it is so cool to say "come left 10 degrees" and have the response come back "new course XXX degrees". I say "dive" and lo and behold, the sub dives. I say "make your depth 200 feet" and the diving officer responds with " new depth 199 feet" (I know the 199 is a quirk in the game but a very minor one in my book).

SH4 Speech rocks
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 02:08 PM   #265
minsc_tdp
XO

I'll test the 10 tubes problem tonight. Didn't know there was any issue there. Nobody has ever reported it.

Make sure it actually hears you when you say "i have ten tubes" by trying that command before you enter the game a few times.

This reminds me of another suggestion someone made - a simple audible feedback anytime a command is recognized and successfully processed. A very short, quick "blip" would be all that is necessary. Hopefully the game doesn't dominate the soundcard, I think I will add this tonight and make the MP3/WAV file interchangable of course so you can use anything you want.

No clue about TrackIR, sorry
Old 02-25-08, 02:09 PM   #266
minsc_tdp
XO

Default 2.52

Forgot to post here - 2.52 updated with "Pause Recognition" and "Resume Recognition" commands. I'm thinking that this, combined with Press To Talk Mode is pretty good, but a nice third option would be a key-based recognition toggler. Just tap once and it ignores, tap again and it starts listening.
Old 02-25-08, 03:17 PM   #267
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
One more thing.

I'm probably pushing my luck (and your patience ) with more questions.

I'm running at 1650 x 1090 resolution. Because the .csv files etc come defaulted to the smaller resolution, what are the tweaks I must do and in which files. I edited the voice_command.csv but am unsure about the other .csv files as I don't want to screw it up.

Having said that, it seems to work pretty much flawlessly but I find the occasional command where I say a command and instead of executing that specific command my 'view' will pan and then point down (usually on the bridge).

I'm sure these issues are pure ignorance on my part and are not problems with the mod itself. It's really added a new dimension to the game for me, thanks very much for your work, well done.

BTW, the installation was a breeze. The only other download necessary was the actual MS SDK software. The SDK 'training' session, IMHO, is a must before using the mod. The other bonus is, if I forget to run the mod batch file to start it before starting SH4, no biggie, simply alt-tab out, start it then alt-tab back in.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:42 PM   #268
minsc_tdp
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoose
I'm probably pushing my luck (and your patience ) with more questions.
Not at all!

Quote:
I'm running at 1650 x 1090 resolution. Because the .csv files etc come defaulted to the smaller resolution, what are the tweaks I must do and in which files. I edited the voice_command.csv but am unsure about the other .csv files as I don't want to screw it up.
You don't have to edit any CSVs for resolution. Just edit the BAT file in the root folder and punch in your resolution. It should just work!

Quote:
Having said that, it seems to work pretty much flawlessly but I find the occasional command where I say a command and instead of executing that specific command my 'view' will pan and then point down (usually on the bridge).
This is because you are focused in the periscope/camera (ya know, where the mouse disappears) and when it tries to move the mouse, it doesn't know this. Get in the habit of knowing which commands require the mouse to move around (anything not mappable to a key, such as dials) and make sure your mouse is visible before executing the command. I wish I knew a way to detect the mouse state and manage that for you but, I don't.

Quote:
I'm sure these issues are pure ignorance on my part and are not problems with the mod itself. It's really added a new dimension to the game for me, thanks very much for your work, well done.
Bah, the manual might help on some of the above questions but, I don't read manuals either.

Quote:
BTW, the installation was a breeze. The only other download necessary was the actual MS SDK software. The SDK 'training' session, IMHO, is a must before using the mod. The other bonus is, if I forget to run the mod batch file to start it before starting SH4, no biggie, simply alt-tab out, start it then alt-tab back in.
Yeah, the documentation has a lot of good recommendations for tuning the mic and speech recognition, and is worth reading for sure.

You could try adding "start c:\games\sh4\sh4.exe" to your BAT file and it'll run it for you (change path to EXE of course, and wrap it in quotes if it has spaces)

Minsc
Old 02-25-08, 04:43 PM   #269
minsc_tdp
XO

What's a very quick way to start the game and get a boat with 10 tubes? I don't play much obviously
Old 02-25-08, 06:54 PM   #270
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
What's a very quick way to start the game and get a boat with 10 tubes? I don't play much obviously
The quickest way would be to run one of the quick missions that allows you to choose a sub with 10 tubes.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote