SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-13, 06:13 AM   #2341
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
It is the best game for old timers
... but .... .... I'm only 36 ....
Ah .. who am I kidding ... might as well concede I'm getting old

I like X3:TC too .. steap learning curve, but the best space sandbox I've seen except for EVE Online. The way it's set up makes you able to play it as a market game, a transport sim, a combat shooter or a RTS. Very slow as well and no instant gratification.

I dont think it's us being oldtimers tho, I think it's 'them' being pampered too much by their parents, not learning how to take care of themselves and thinking it's normal that you shout at people when you want something done.

If we where lucky, we got the money for a computer from our parents. Internet did not excist. If you needed help, there was a library and later BBS' .. if you had money for phone ticks or knew how to hack the system. If you did not make evident that you tried the basics and informed yourself to the best of your abilities, people would laugh at you or simply ignore you.

Because of this we also liked a challenge in our games and expected hard work to be needed when you later went to Ultima Online and needed a sword .. resulting in hours of frustration before you finally made it out of a mine in one piece with enough of the required ore, only to find that your melting skills where non-existant .. forcing you to work those up to a decent level as well before, after a week of you going crazy, you finally get it and manage to get that sword .. but by that time you turned miner and had no need for it anymore :p

I'll stop polluting your topic tho
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:23 AM   #2342
plj
Captain

On a more serious note: since a lot of people seem to want to install the sober list of mods .. would it help if I uploaded my .mep and .zip of my MODS folder ? I have no other mods in there, and configured for full realism .. might be a good upgrade or alternative to the current all_in_one which is kinda outdated and contains quite a few extra mods not discussed in this topic ?
Old 09-24-13, 06:30 AM   #2343
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
On a more serious note: since a lot of people seem to want to install the sober list of mods .. would it help if I uploaded my .mep and .zip of my MODS folder ? I have no other mods in there, and configured for full realism .. might be a good upgrade or alternative to the current all_in_one which is kinda outdated and contains quite a few extra mods not discussed in this topic ?
Just start a new thread , plj full realism mod list or something like that . Its good to have a choice and my mod list is just a basic list that i like playing . Computers werent around until i was married , so i was lucky to have no computers . Just mates , and a big patch of scrub over the road to play in . I wouldnt mind going back to way of living actually . Come to think of it thats why i enjoy basic camping in the sticks . No TV or phone or internet .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:24 AM   #2344
plj
Captain

What I'll do is create a semi-self installing package with detailed instructions and call it something like 'dummy proof sober's all-in-one <date>', provided that Neal supports that and would host it in the bonus area .. I'm not going to take away one of the reasons people donate..
Old 09-24-13, 11:07 AM   #2345
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
What I'll do is create a semi-self installing package with detailed instructions and call it something like 'dummy proof sober's all-in-one <date>', provided that Neal supports that and would host it in the bonus area .. I'm not going to take away one of the reasons people donate..
IIRC similar package was uploaded by Sjizzle to the bonus section two or three weeks ago.. do you think already new one needed?

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 11:37 AM   #2346
plj
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
IIRC similar package was uploaded by Sjizzle to the bonus section two or three weeks ago.. do you think already new one needed?
I dunno .. I can't find it ? I've been bussy for the last week downloading, reading and connecting dots, and I did not encounter it ?

Sober's howto took me 5 hours to complete from game install to working snorkel. A lot of that was downloading/updating/reading up on options and then getting a list of mods and a mep file to line up, even after I started with his 2 month old all-in-one file.

If I could have saved the time it took me, please dont tell me

Edit: Sjizzle's list is the one with the Magui interface .. sober's list uses te NEWUI interface. I have looked at Sjizzle's list, thought about it, asked about it, and decided to go with NEWUI's .. the issue is that sober's base zip, his mep file, and the first post in this topic, dont match. Mods have been added to the zip that cannot be found in this topic, te mep file contains mods that aint anywhere, and mods that are listed in the download are not at all or with previous version in the zip file. This makes for a very tedious installation proces, and not the probably intended 'unzip, click a minute, done' package it was when it was released. I cant help you guys turn out mods so fast ...
Old 09-24-13, 11:56 AM   #2347
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
...Edit: Sjizzle's list is the one with the Magui interface .. sober's list uses te NEWUI interface. I have looked at Sjizzle's list, thought about it, asked about it, and decided to go with NEWUI's .. the issue is that sober's base zip, his mep file, and the first post in this topic, dont match. Mods have been added to the zip that cannot be found in this topic, te mep file contains mods that aint anywhere, and mods that are listed in the download are not at all or with previous version in the zip file. This makes for a very tedious installation proces, and not the probably intended 'unzip, click a minute, done' package it was when it was released. I cant help you guys turn out mods so fast ...
I don't understand what are you talking about.. Sjizzle's list.. sober's list..
What is this in your opinion? - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3893

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 11:59 AM   #2348
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
I did enable it with the optionfileeditor, with mod disabled.

Did I miss anything obvious or is this looking like it should ? Any recommendations ?
Optionfileeditor (and viewer) is only for changing options within New UIs for TDC.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 12:13 PM   #2349
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
there is one made by me as volodya said...
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 12:29 PM   #2350
plj
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I don't understand what are you talking about.. Sjizzle's list.. sober's list..
What is this in your opinion? - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3893
... a redirection to the 'become a donator' once I click 'download' ..

But yeah, after looking at the other download location, that's the one I started with .. the one containting mods that are neither in the download list nor in the mep .. the one not containing stuff that's in the download list, but not in the mep .. the one containing stuff that is in the mep, but not the download.. the one containing a few outdated mods ... and the one it took me 5 hours to check and adapt to reflect the list in post 1 ..

Dont get me wrong .. it helped me heaps .. but it also caused quite a few headaches thinking it was all from one source ... I expected the mep file that is made avalable by sober, the mod package, and this 1st post, to reflect the same situation. It doesnt. So instead of 'unzip - click for a minute - play sh5 modded', it's quite a long proces of checking lists against eachother, downloading, reading up on new versions, etc.

I had to start over once .. and I'm not counting the time lost there, as I write that off as learning curve .. but I'm system engeneer .. your average player will not manage .. as recent topics suggested.
Old 09-24-13, 12:59 PM   #2351
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

m8 that mod pack was tested by me before upload that was 2-3 weeks ago in that pack it is exactly sober mod list wich was 2-3 weeks ago and some other mods.

PS. pls don't hijack sober thread if u wanna talk about that pack it is a thread where we can talk about that thx

Last edited by Sjizzle; 09-24-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 01:29 PM   #2352
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
I expected the mep file that is made avalable by sober, the mod package, and this 1st post, to reflect the same situation. It doesnt.
Wrong presumption to make.

Mod package as in "Sober Silent Hunter 5 Mega Mod". Did you see the name of the authors for the download package? Not the same as what is in " [INF] sobers mega mod " as far as the author(s) goes? It does not mean that sober it taking care of both threads.

We're does it say that we will continuously update it? Mods get updated frequently, by month, week or day. Want to volunteer to update mod lists or mep file, etc.?

We all are volunteers, and have lives, too. Most of the veterans keep readdressing same issues over mods since some, not all, modders do not take the time to read the appropriate documentation.

If you give some time to try mods by yourself by reading the support documentation, and still need help. We will gladly help out.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 09-24-13 at 01:41 PM.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 02:04 PM   #2353
plj
Captain

I realize I'm err-ing because of assumptions. I am not trying to hijack any threat.

In the first post there is a reference to both a download to a .mep file, dated 19092013 AND the megamod pack. It's not verry irrational to assume they go together if you have no knowledge in SH modding prior to finding this site.

If I take that .mep, the content of the megamod pack, and the first post, it does not match up. I know it was current 2-3 weeks ago, as I signed up at that moment and watched it being released.

I am in no way trying to mouth off here .. I just concluded that if it takes me quite a lot of time and digging, even tho you guys provide excellent topics to help a n00b like me, it must be off-putting to others.

I witnessed a few topics where people show their frustration and direct it, in error, to the moderators .. but I can understand their frustration somewhat.

Since I absolutely love what you guys did to the game, I thought I'd give back by providing an again current zip of the list in the first post of this topic with a matching .mep file and dummy proofing it. And personally, since I cant mod if my life depended on it, I dont mind updating that every month or so.

Mikemike47: I'm not sure how you got my offer as a complaint about complexity .. I have had wonderull and to the point advice over the last 2 weeks and have the list up and running now .. without errors.

I think I've said what needed to be added to this .. I'll leave it at that too.
Old 09-25-13, 10:12 AM   #2354
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Hey sober can i activate your bad weather deck gun mod on patrol or must i be in port?
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:29 AM   #2355
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipersHunter View Post
Hey sober can i activate your bad weather deck gun mod on patrol or must i be in port?

u must enable it it bunker ... and is better if u enable all mods when u are in bunker