SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-16, 01:12 PM   #2326
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You'll be without power same as I will be. The question is how long. Looks like the latest timing for the storm puts it straight east of Daytona at sunrise tomorrow. Worst wind should happen between midnight tonight and noon tomorrow--a good 12 hours of 100 mph winds, even in downtown Orlando. North and east facing windows will be most at risk.

If you don't have the experience of continuous 100 mph winds for many hours, you're in for quite a shock. During the three hurricanes of 2004 I would go out my door in the wind shadow of the house (you can't stand up in 100 mph wind. You get blown flat on the ground. Crawling is almost impossible too.) and the wind noise was so loud that you coudn't hear anything.

That is until one of the tornadoes started ripping apart trees a couple hundred feet away. Over totally deafening noise you could hear the sharp cracks as treetops were being twisted until they broke off from the top of the tree and were taken who knows where. It's an eerie sound you'll never forget.

If you haven't done 100 miles per hour winds, you're in for an experience you could never imagine. Stay safe.
Ya, September 04 was crazy. Was on patrol for all three hurricanes (Frances, Ivan then Jeanne) all within 23 days of each other.

by....ME / QM3 Jack Frost, USS IOWA BB61 - Precom 1983 - 1987 / CTR2 Jack Frost - NSGA Northwest Chesapeake, VA. 1987 - 1994!
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 04:23 PM   #2327
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Ya, September 04 was crazy. Was on patrol for all three hurricanes (Frances, Ivan then Jeanne) all within 23 days of each other.
Yup. I was privileged to take a direct on the nose hit from Charley, Frances and Jeanne. Was out of power for a total of 43 days. I cook with propane, so I was the hero of the neighborhood. Kept them from starving and ate like a king.

Had trees down all over for a mile in every direction. Trying to get out of my neighborhood was like being a rat in a maze and there was no cheese! Lotsa smushed cars.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 04:37 PM   #2328
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1121
Uploads: 10

Good luck guys with that weather front.

================================================== ======

Maru Mod - Re-Energized

Fully updated & compatable with SH4 v1.5 with no cross rostered ships..

I Hope!!!
Old 10-06-16, 04:47 PM   #2329
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Got it s7rikeback. Thanks.

RR & Navigator, both you be careful... I live in the land of the tornado, and I just cannot imagine, being in the middle of a hurricane, having it spawn tornadoes, like SH4 spawns SubHunter groups...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 04:55 PM   #2330
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Got it s7rikeback. Thanks.

RR & Navigator, both you be careful... I live in the land of the tornado, and I just cannot imagine, being in the middle of a hurricane, having it spawn tornadoes, like SH4 spawns SubHunter groups...
We don't understand tornadoes. This far south tornadoes take shingles off houses, tops off trees and the like. Where you're from they polish a line half a mile wide to bedrock.

I'd much rather deal with hurricanes. They come with a week of warning and you can defend yourself against most of them. There is no defense against a midwest or plains state tornado. Nothing can stand in their presence. And they come with much less warning: sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes an hour. But you NEVER get a week to prepare.

So, closed the business. Came home at about 3:00 pm and spent some time thinking, then put up some plywood just for grins. If you don't need it no harm is done. https://goo.gl/photos/rzDnH6ojXP67Dc3PA

I sure wish Subsim had a way to embed video like every other bulletin board in creation!

You can see that Daytona Beach and me, 20 miles west of it, are covered up with the first dense rainband right now. Rain is surprisingly light and wind is 15 mph or less. You look at the radar and say "holy crap!" but the reality is much calmer. It won't stay that way another six hours that's for sure. By daybreak I won't have any electricity and it will be weeks before I get it back. I'll find ways to post, but getting work done on the mod just can't happen. This is about to get interesting!

Latest forecast slowed this puppy down. Now greatest strength for Navigator and I will be tomorrow 6am to 6pm. That's about a six hour delay from previous forecasts.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-06-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 05:04 PM   #2331
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Good luck guys with that weather front.

================================================== ======

Maru Mod - Re-Energized

Fully updated & compatable with SH4 v1.5 with no cross rostered ships..

I Hope!!!
Will grab this tonight after I get home from work, my friend. Does the Name.cfg include the warships names also or is this similar to your last release?

Great work as always.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 10-06-16 at 06:54 PM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 09:08 PM   #2332
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just a head's up for everyone who is doing some testing on the v0.26 Beta. Would you please pay attention to the sounds your hear when you go to periscope depth or surface or crash dive, I'm hearing a ringing bell when I crash dive instead of the "Aoogha, Aoogha." Please report back on your findings hear.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-16, 11:24 PM   #2333
propbeanie

I never paid the sounds a bit of attention lately cdrsubron7... oldmanitis...

In the meantime, pay attention to the WIP / Propbeaneez Stuffz area of the Google Drive. I got the NACA4 to run in the game, though I have no clue as to real names of the ship, we'll have to deal with that later. But I have it rolled into an add-on mod that I'm testing right now, but should have up, barring issues, here within the hour "Beta26AddOn.yz"... tootsies crossed for the mod, but especially the Floridians and those others soon to be in the path of Matthew. Don't take your eye off of Nicki (Nicole) trying to chase after Matthew...

Old 10-07-16, 03:54 AM   #2334
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Up periscope! Come to radar depth for radio transmission. Brace for extreme surface conditions! Sparky, do we have the ability to use the radio? Amazing!

Well, here's what we're looking at on radar at 04:28 Friday morning.

Right now the wind is probably 20 mph, but we have had some higher winds at times during the night. Radar says we have a fundamental change in the hurricane tonight, as the eye looks MUCH larger. Looks like we're in what is called an eye wall rebuilding cycle, which diminishes the wind strength of the hurricane while it is taking place. This is a very good time for that to happen.

Power has glitched a couple of times during the night, in spite of relatively low winds so far. Our power grid is very fragile, in spite of the fact that these storms come to Florida often. The power companies aren't paid for reliability and when they get blown down the state just lets them charge the customers to rebuild. It was about $300 per customer to rebuild after the hurricanes of 2004. Why build a robust system when you can rebuild it at a profit when it breaks? Power outages are a way of life in Florida, even without a hurricane. I was out for most of a day last month because of a 30 mph wind. It's pretty inexcusable.

But we have power in DeLand. There is power in Daytona at my business, as Teamviewer reports the computer is online. Barometric pressure right now (thanks to my cell phone and CPUx!) is 998 mbar, a pressure altitude of about 410 feet. Anything below 1000 is hurricane city. At 02:00 the central pressure of Matthew was 937 mbar. We have a ways to go.

Matthew looks to keep the eye offshore, which is supposedly good news, as it keeps some of the higher winds offshore. However if the eye comes ashore it will diminish the intensity of the storm, so it's a good news-bad news situation no matter what happens. Of course there is a time delay from when the eye comes ashore and when the storm diminishes. That means bad news for the point of impact and anything within 50 miles of that.

But it is still surprisingly quiet except when we get a rain band and that doesn't last all that long. When we get the hurricane force winds I'll get some video and especially the sound. The sound is most memorable because with all that horizontal rain, there isn't that much to see in the central parts of a hurricane. The air is opaque.

Down scope! Take her to 200. Secure wireless. We'll pop up after sunrise and see if we have power to transmit. Just a reminder. When I do lose power I won't be getting it back, probably for several weeks. Possibly Daytona will get it back sooner than DeLand and I'll be able to post from work. Possibly Daytona will be damaged too much, because of its shoreline position, to be repaired before DeLand. But higher population means higher priority for power restoration. Maybe cell towers will resume operation before the main power grid. We'll see.

I'll try again after sunrise!
Old 10-07-16, 10:58 AM   #2335
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE ROUTINE R 111230Z OCT 16 ZYB FM MESSAGE ORIGINATOR PLUS OFFICE CODES IF APPLICABLE// TO ACTION ADDRESSEES AND OFFICE CODES UNLIMITED NUMBER// INFO COMMANDS THAT HAVE A NEED TO KNOW BUT REQUIRE NO ACTION// UNCLAS //N02319// MSGID/GENADMIN/ORIGINATOR’S PLA// SUBJ/MESSAGE FORMATS AND PROCEDURES// REF/A/DOC/NCTC LEESBURG FL/OCT16/-// AMPN/REF A IS DAMAGE ASSESSMENT FROM HURRICANE MATTHEW RMKS/1. TWO PALM FRONDS DOWN IN BACK YARD. SMALL PIECE OF MOSS ON TOP OF LIBERTY BOAT. NO POWER LOSS OR INJURIES..// BT

by....ME / QM3 Jack Frost, USS IOWA BB61 - Precom 1983 - 1987 / CTR2 Jack Frost - NSGA Northwest Chesapeake, VA. 1987 - 1994!
Old 10-07-16, 11:52 AM   #2336
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Hang in there, guys. Our prayers are with you.

Old 10-07-16, 11:56 AM   #2337
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

According to this map, communications with RR may be far and few between for awhile.

http://fplmaps.com/
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 12:04 PM   #2338
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Lot of power out around Deland and Daytona where the eyewall is passing by.

Old 10-07-16, 12:56 PM   #2339
propbeanie

It's been a whirlwind of the last 30-35 days, especially with RR, what with the MS update, trashed Windows, Linux install, trashed windows... etc.

All CTDs and others interested, I put a "Beta26AddOn.7z" file in the WIP / Propeaneez Stuffz folder in the not-so-secret-anymore Google Drive, if you all wanna see if it cleans up some more of your install. It ~should~ go in via JSGME just fine, but... It tries to finish what Jeff-Groves and s7rikeback were doing that did not get into the beta. However, I am by no stretch of the imagination, an "experienced" modder, so be governed accordingly. It should "fix" the Bismarck issue with the ship, but leave the Sea and Islands alone... I got the NACA4 in there as an American "Old Merchant", but the particular instances of any ships of that class that you encounter will have some ~strange~ names, just so they stand out "Toobee", "Ornot", and "TwoBee", or something to that effect. It will use the NACA3 textures, and you may have some strange side-effects...

It should look like this - maybe - if your computer does like mine

There will still be trash left behind, but chip away at the stone... More updates coming to the Campaign and Single Mission layers as time permits later tonight, but as cdrsubron7 says: "National League Baseball is ON THE AIR!"... Go Cubbies... Calm down Matthew!!! Stay away Nicole!!!

Old 10-07-16, 03:51 PM   #2340
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Keep your head down RR
And good luck

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote