Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-17, 04:34 AM   #2176
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Easy on the eyes.

There used to be a pub in Newcastle ( Australia ) called the Hunter Hotel and they had a house band, called "Suspects", they played mainly Blondie covers.

Their lead singer was a hot blonde called Stacie and after a few schooners you'd swear she was Debbie Harry.

It was demolished in '79 "Civic improvement" they called it. B.S.

Seeing these clips takes me back to happier times

Gettin' old.

Old 11-27-17, 08:01 AM   #2177
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
For those who might be interested, The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame has had open fan balloting for the five 2018 inductees for a bit of a while now, so if you want to see who is eligible this time around and maybe cast a vote, here's the link:

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2018-nominees

Sadly, Pat Boone is still not on the ballot...
<O>
Some of the names really surprise me, that they are NOT in the Hall yet = MC5? The Moody Blues (diametrically opposed bands, btw... ), The Zombies? The Cars? Dire Straits? I can see some of the others being nominated, but some of these should have already have been in there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
Old 11-27-17, 12:41 PM   #2178
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 11-27-17, 03:36 PM   #2179
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Some of the names really surprise me, that they are NOT in the Hall yet = MC5? The Moody Blues (diametrically opposed bands, btw... ), The Zombies? The Cars? Dire Straits? I can see some of the others being nominated, but some of these should have already have been in there.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intended to honor those who were/are significant influences or contributors to the realm of R&R. Here is a full list of all the inductees, to date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees

I really don't have much of a quibble with the list, other than, perhaps Michael Jackson (who I view as more of a personality than an innovator or influence) or Tupac Shakur (who I have yet to understand why he is so lionized). One of the main problems is there is a large backlog of artists who may be worthy of induction, but to varying degrees. It is a hard choice and, remember, it is not a contest of popularity or sales, but a recognition of impact of the artistic contribution on R&R...

If you look at the list for the first ever inductees in 1986, note that Buddy Holly and The Everly Brothers are on the list, yet Bo Diddley wasn't inducted until the next year, 1987. Holly often cited Diddley as a prime influence on his music and, as far as The Everlys, just yesterday I watched a documentary on the local PBS station on the career and life of the Everlys and both brothers, in interviews as recent as the early 2000's, firmly cited the prime influence of Bo Diddley on their early music; and, there is this:

Quote:

Phil recalled their greatest influences as "traditional southern brothers' singing acts" like The Delmore Brothers - but Don, his elder by two years, found himself entranced by the raw power of rhythm and blues.

"The first time I heard the song Bo Diddley in 1955, it just nailed me," he told the BMI's Dave Simons last year.

"I remember thinking, 'I'll never be able to have that type of rhythm in any kind of country music.'"

But that's exactly what the Everly Brothers did.

Bye Bye Love, their debut single, was a straightforward rockabilly song until Don added a driving Bo Diddley beat below the melody.

They were rewarded with an instant number one on the US country charts - something the duo had never expected.

"We had no idea it was really going to make a difference, and we actually were glad to be recording anything," Phil told BBC Radio One in 2002.

"I was happy to make the $64 that we got for recording."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25608321

It may seem odd The Everlys got in before Bo, but, on the other hand, The Beatles vocals were heavily influenced by The Everlys; so, sometimes, the cart does appear to go before the horse, but it all seems to even out in the end, eventually...

I had seen Bo Diddley in concert many times over the years and he always put 110% into every performance; he never just 'phoned it in'; the last time was at a free city-government sponsored lunch hour outdoor concert in Downtown LA on a blazing hot summer day. The audience was mainly the local office workers, in their business attire; after about five minutes, Bo had them dancing about like a bunch of teenagers at a 50's sock hop. No one could resist the Bo Diddley beat...

An interesting note about Bo: I used to see him, when he was in town, roaming around Downtown LA, going from store to store (not the big department stores, just the more 'blue collar' stores), being trailed by a guy in a business suit, carrying a briefcase, and struggling to keep up with Bo, who walked really fast; also tagging along was a limo or town car, creeping along in the street. I found out later the harried man in the business suit and the car were provided by either a record company or concert promoter, but Bo didn't really like a lot of the star trappings and tolerated them by, essentially, ignoring them. I once saw Bo go into a little sandwich shop, not a high class restaurant. Some time later, out of curiosity, I stopped by the sandwich shop and asked about Bo; the guy who ran the place told me Bo was a regular customer and really liked the burgers they served (they really were great burgers, BTW). It fit Bo to be a patron of a hole in the wall sandwich shop: when on the road, he used book rooms in motels or hotels that had rooms with kitchenettes installed; early in his career, he had suffered the indignity of racial discrimination, being denied entry to restaurants, so he would cook his own meals, and meals for his band, in his room, a habit he kept up even when the Jim Crow laws were banned, just, as he put it, to remind him of where he started and to keep from getting big-headed...

<O>
Old 11-28-17, 05:51 AM   #2180
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 11-28-17, 10:25 AM   #2181
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intended to honor those who were/are significant influences or contributors to the realm of R&R... One of the main problems is there is a large backlog of artists who may be worthy of induction, but to varying degrees. It is a hard choice and, remember, it is not a contest of popularity or sales, but a recognition of impact of the artistic contribution on R&R...
(heavily edited by pb)
In this years list of nominees, a person could also easily include The Meters in the "influential" category, especially for mid-70's onward... I think one of the Hall's main problems is only having five "finalists" each year, and maybe they ought to have a longer time limit, like an "antique" definition, where you have to have been around 25 or 30 years previously before you're eligible for nomination, but even still, there are a lot of definitions and influences for "Rock and Roll", including the likes of Beethoven, and especially "Rock"maninoff... (sorry Eichhörnchen for butchering that name... )

and now for another power trio, brought to you by a band that copied just about everybody out there, and who like REO or Rush, I got to see before they were "popular", thanks to K-SHE 95 in St. Louis:

"cheesie" 80's vidz

lots of them dad-blame guitar noodlings at the end...

I was born and raised in the St. Louis, MO area, and didn't even realize it's been 50 years of Rock 'N' Roll on K-SHE 95 down there. Even though they have changed over the years - I long for the original 'Album Oriented' days from when I was standing crossing guard duty at school... yes, I are old - they are still to be congratulated on their 50th anniversary. -Now- ~there's` a nominee for the R&R Hall of Fame! Talk about "influence"...

Old 11-28-17, 01:17 PM   #2182
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Old 11-28-17, 05:12 PM   #2183
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
(heavily edited by pb)
In this years list of nominees, a person could also easily include The Meters in the "influential" category, especially for mid-70's onward... I think one of the Hall's main problems is only having five "finalists" each year, and maybe they ought to have a longer time limit, like an "antique" definition, where you have to have been around 25 or 30 years previously before you're eligible for nomination, but even still, there are a lot of definitions and influences for "Rock and Roll", including the likes of Beethoven, and especially "Rock"maninoff... (sorry Eichhörnchen for butchering that name... )

I was born and raised in the St. Louis, MO area, and didn't even realize it's been 50 years of Rock 'N' Roll on K-SHE 95 down there. Even though they have changed over the years - I long for the original 'Album Oriented' days from when I was standing crossing guard duty at school... yes, I are old - they are still to be congratulated on their 50th anniversary. -Now- ~there's` a nominee for the R&R Hall of Fame! Talk about "influence"...
For the performers inducted into the R&RHOF, there already is a requirement at least 25 years must have passed since the release of their first recordings before they are even eligible...

I was born and raised in San Francisco where, along with pioneering stations in NY and Boston, the free-form Rock FM stations were born. One of the inductees into the HOF is Tom Donahue (inducted 1996) who pretty much created free-form FM; he is also noted as being the promoter of The Beatles' last ever public concert appearance at Candlestick Park, SF, in 1966; he actually put everything he had into hock to get the concert to happen:

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/tom-donahue

I particularly remember KMPX in SF; it was really very loose, with the DJs mainly playing album cuts and singles from their own personal home collections at the beginning; some of the early advertisers were places like head shops in The Haight and other counter-culture businesses. DJs came and went, but there was one DJ, whose name, thanks to old age and burned out brain cells, for the life of me I can't remember, who I got to know because I would call in to make requests and we would chat a bit off the air about new music; I liked some of the longer cuts, like, say, In A Gadda Da Vida or The Chamber Brothers Time Has Come Today, and he once said to me he liked my requests because, not only did he like my taste in music, the longer cuts gave him a chance to either go to the head, have a bite or have a smoke...

The pioneering stations here in LA are pretty much gone; KMET, the LA Original, long ago was bought out and turned into a 'smooth jazz' station; all the others have met similar fates and the one station that has survived in any form of rock radio, KLOS, has pretty much devolved into a mostly generic heavy metal format; the one non-NPR rock station that had any real variety or breadth of programming was just put off the air when a "Christian Rock" outfit bought the station and changed the format (there has, for a long time in LA, a sort of war on rock stations by various Christian groups, with the groups either challenging the licenses of the rock stations or outright buying the stations). There is one NPR station, operated out of a local university, KCSN, that still has a pretty much loose rock format; if you look it up on the web and can access their live stream, its really worth the listen...

I feel the need to step out for a break...

<O>
Old 11-28-17, 10:48 PM   #2184
propbeanie

Excellent tunes, Maynard! - I suppose I imbibed in too many wares in my younger days to remember much of the Hall of Fame's 'requirements'...

As for 'album oriented' and needin' to take a break - here's a couple from the pop monsters of the late 60s, early 70s:

I think that first one used a bit of every bit of film available on CCR, including Woodstock and Sweet Hitchiker...
The 2nd one is actually parts of their original 3:52 "video" of the 'single" version of the song, and doing some of the Johnny Cash show appearance - that's always called a Marvin tune, of course, but he recorded it like third... and CCR (4th??) done it Rock 'N' Roll style...

Old 11-29-17, 03:30 AM   #2185
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Default For the Brothers.

Old 11-29-17, 10:06 AM   #2186
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default Elvis' "If I Can Dream"

Marie Curie

Old 11-29-17, 04:51 PM   #2187
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:

Excellent tunes, Maynard! ...
Maynard?!?

Wow, you really are old...

Quote:

As for 'album oriented' and needin' to take a break - here's a couple from the pop monsters of the late 60s, early 70s:

I think that first one used a bit of every bit of film available on CCR, including Woodstock and Sweet Hitchiker...
The 2nd one is actually parts of their original 3:52 "video" of the 'single" version of the song, and doing some of the Johnny Cash show appearance - that's always called a Marvin tune, of course, but he recorded it like third... and CCR (4th??) done it Rock 'N' Roll style...
The extended CCR version of Grapevine was one of the songs I used to request from KMPX, much to the relief of my friend, the DJ, and his needs. There was another station in SF at about the same time, KSAN, and about equally as legendary. Both stations were very free-form and depended a lot on the street level input of the listeners; sometimes listeners would get advanced copies of new albums and/or imports and bring them to the stations to have them played on air. The local ads were really wild, often having no real ad copy and just being winged by the DJs. As I said before, a lot of the advertisers were local counter-culture businesses and sometimes they were as outrageous as the music coming out at the time; one was for an eatery specializing in pastries and desserts; the business's name caused quite a bit of controversy since it was named after the owner, a former stripper, Magnolia Thunder______. (The blanked out part was the source of controversy; let's just say it refers to something Trump has stated a fondness for grabbing.) Here is a link to the Wikipedia page about the owner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_Thunderpussy

Here is a link to an article about KMPX and KSAN and the origins, history and influence of the stations on FM radio:

http://www.foundsf.org/index.php?tit...PX_and_KSAN-FM

While looking for The Chambers Brothers cut, I stumbled across this not too bad cover version of the song by the Ramones (really digging the blond in the motorcycle jacket @ 2:00):

...and a bit of rockin' madness from The Move:

<O>
Old 11-30-17, 09:35 AM   #2188
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default A little more culture...

Old 11-30-17, 10:44 AM   #2189
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0