SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-19, 05:52 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Navigating Using Only Pilotage, DR, Compass, Speed, Chronometer, and In-Game Sextant

Branching off another thread, I intend to use this thread to record my trial voyages using only pilotage (sighting landmarks), ded reckoning, compass, speed, chronometer, and the in-game sextant. Here is my long-term plan...

I have really been giving a lot of thought to this question of navigating real-world and in real-time in the SH series without the aid of Otto the Navigator. I realize SH was primarily designed as a submarine warfare game circa WW2. It's primary focus was not on being a CelNav test bed or practice platform. Yet, it has a number of essential features which provokes me to test its CelNav capabilities.

The fact is that mariners sailed the seven seas without longitude for thousands of years. Longitude may make things more precise and accurate, but it is not absolutely necessary. This has been proven by centuries of successful mariner explorations. It is with this idea that I will attempt using SH5 to see if it can be used.

Phase 1 - Memal Harbor to Kiel Harbor.

• I intend to depart Memal Harbor
  • Head to the two tiny islands of Ertholmene (265NM West @ 55°19'22"N 15°10'56"E).
  • Skirt the northernmost tip of Bornholm Island just north of Sandwig (14NM West @ 55°18'6"N 14°46'13"E).
  • Take a bearing to the southernmost tip of Denmark just south of Gedser (107NM Southwest @ 54°33'21"N 11°58'12"E)
  • From Gedser, head through the Fehmarn Belt straight ( 54°34'N 11°16'E) and on into the Kiel inlet.

Phase 2 will be to navigate out of the Baltic Sea past Copenhagen to Helsingborg, through the English Channel and head to the Azores.

Phase 3 would be to navigate to The Hawaiian Islands from the Azores if the SH5 world will allow. Given SH5 focuses on the Atlantic this may not be possible.

Lastly, I confine myself to real time. TC=1 on average (using TC=?? depending on my available hours), so this project is going to take awhile. Actually, I have been sailing a tall ship, HMS Bounty in the oceans of Microsoft FSX, but the beauty and experience of sailing in the SH5 world is superior. I’ll report back with my successes/failures as they present themselves and my gimpy noodle doesn’t give me trouble.

Edit...

Also, please be advised that due to my health and other RW circumstances, any followers of this thread should expect the logging to come in spurts with long stretches possible between each entry. I will try to be as consistent as I can. My personal passion and enjoyment will see to that!

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 04-05-19 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-01-19, 03:24 PM   #2
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Holy voyage, Batman!
What is that, like two months? Hopefully the yanks let you through the Panama canal or you can add one more to that.

I respect your bold endeavour but I must ask, what are you planning on do while cruising?

Last edited by Mussalo; 04-05-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-01-19, 10:28 PM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussalo View Post
Holy voyage, Batman!
What is that, like two months? Hopefully the yanks let you through the Panama canal or you can add one more to that.

I respect your bold endeavour but I must ask, what are you planning on do while cruising?

EDIT.
Now wait a minute...
Probably more like two years ( given my health interruptions), but whose counting?

What will I do? Enjoy the trip. Why else would I go?
Old 04-02-19, 06:24 PM   #4
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0

Always a pioneer in this community, That's what makes this sim great

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 04:21 PM   #5
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

31/08/1939 2100 GMT @ 7kts

• Departed sub tent at Memal Harbor.
  • 55o21'15"N (55o42'N)
  • Once the harbor and defenses are cleared, we will assume a heading of 265o toward the tiny two islands of Ertholmene.
  • The biggest of the islands is less than 1/2NM at its maximum length.
  • This will be a very tiny target and a good test of how well the SH5 world (and/or my CelNav skills) really are in the simulation.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 04-03-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 11:58 PM   #6
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

01/09/1939 0000 265o @ 8Kts
  • Sextant = 56o32'N (DR = 55°41'N 20°22'E)