Closed Thread

Old 05-03-18, 12:20 PM   #4651
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
At least some of us here know the difference between jealous and envy.
seems you don't though based on Rockstar's post.
Old 05-03-18, 12:22 PM   #4652
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

...just relieved we're not the jackass who has gotten himself into such a god-awful mess...
let's see, President of the USA, cruising to re-election, in line for Nobel peace prize...

oh I get it, you are taking about Hillary Clinton...
Old 05-03-18, 12:53 PM   #4653
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
That was already debunked on the Korea Nuke thread.
"Debunked"? Must have been a real tough research project seeing as how the pic came from a site called "breakyourownnews.com"!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online  
Old 05-03-18, 09:32 PM   #4654
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
"Debunked"? Must have been a real tough research project seeing as how the pic came from a site called "breakyourownnews.com"!
What? I'm shocked!
Old 05-03-18, 10:16 PM   #4655
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well, then I guess the photo really belongs in the funny picture thread, or am I in that now, or, maybe the smelly picture thread but that doesn't exist....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 05-04-18, 05:57 AM   #4656
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

So, what happened this week:

Trump's new lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, went on to both Sean Hannity and Fox & Friends and confirmed that Trump had known about the Stormy Daniels payment and had, throught another law firm, paid back the $130k to Cohen. (Something Trump had denied previously)

He also said that Trump fired Comey because he wouldn't, among other things, state publicly that Trump is not under investigation in the Russia investigation. (Clearing what Trump said in the Lester Holt interview about him firing Comey because of the "Russia thing")

Further, NBC reported that prior to the raid on Cohen's home, office etc., his phones were wiretapped which *might've* triggered the raid to preserve evidence. (IIRC, Trump called Cohen after the raid, so their conversation is probably recorded too) Cohen's phones were logged, not wiretapped.

And it's only Friday.

Last edited by Dowly; 05-04-18 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 06:35 AM   #4657
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
What? I'm shocked!
I actually typed that post in Bogeys voice. Fakt.

August is online  
Old 05-04-18, 08:38 AM   #4658
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Interesting article in The Hill today.

Quote:

© Getty Images

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein’s reaction to reports of possible impeachment for failing to respond to congressional subpoenas was to proclaim that the Justice Department “will not be extorted.”
I suppose he meant to say, “Only we here at the Justice Department do the extorting, with special counsels, daylight raids of people’s attorneys, bankrupting people with legal fees, threats to prosecute family members, and questionable wiretapping of Americans.”
Last time I checked, the Constitution gave the elected representatives of the people the right to decide whether to impeach public officials for failure to comply with completely lawful subpoenas and appropriate oversight. They even provide Congress with immunity included in the Constitution to prevent threats from people like Rosenstein.
As the proposed questions for President Trump from special counsel Robert Mueller imply, just the act of the president raising issues or even having negative thoughts about the appropriateness of actions by Rosenstein, fired FBI director James Comey or Mueller can be investigated as possible obstruction of justice.
This government within the government has now crossed a line that is unacceptable. By gaining the recusal of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Rosenstein stepped into the shoes of the attorney general, even though he was not appointed to that role by the president.
Now he believes he is above the law despite the myriad of conflicts he has ignored to authorize these unlimited investigations of the administration he supposedly serves. Remember, Rod Rosenstein provided the memo supporting the firing of Comey and then turned around and installed Mueller, a friend of Comey’s, as special counsel, right after trying to get Mueller the position of head of the FBI.
Sessions should call Rosenstein in and demand that he comply fully with the subpoenas or fire him and replace him with someone who will fairly oversee the Russia investigation and who will comply with the lawful orders of Congress. Yes, all hell will break loose, but Rosenstein has now assumed unconstitutional powers, believing that he is accountable to no one but his own conception of the rule of law, and these comments reveal the truth that has been carefully hidden below the Harvard-educated patina of respectability.
It was also Rosenstein that allowed the raid on Cohen’s office, a measure that was sure to draw huge publicity and, thus, be a tactic that itself goes against the idea of at least trying to keep investigations of people secret so as not to ruin the lives of innocent people before they have had their day in court. In the process, it took an investigation that was supposed to be about national security and state secrets and turned it into the same kind of circus we had in 1998 with the investigation and impeachment of President Clinton.
The president’s new lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, did exactly the right thing in getting out the real facts about the Stormy Daniels payment. He is right that such a personal expense is not a campaign expense, did not use donor funds and, even if he were wrong, we have an administrative process for determining that fact under the Federal Election Commission. Remember, the payments were made in the last days of the campaign and so would never have been reported before the election. No difference could ever have been made.
The legal status of this payment does not rise to a high crime or misdemeanor, is not money laundering, wire fraud or any of these other inflated charges. It was a reimbursement to a lawyer for an expense incurred. We have to stop trying to criminalize non-disclosure payments for perfectly legal acts. This is not the “Pentagon Papers.” There is no compelling national interest in Stormy Daniels relating the minute-by-minute events of a consensual event from 10 years ago.
However, the potential case related to the Democrats in which millions of dollars paid to a law firm were funneled to an opposition research firm, Fusion GPS, is far more clear cut. It used donor, not personal funds, it was falsely reported during the campaign and the ultimate recipient was not disclosed. Yet, no sirens are blaring. And by the way, exactly who is paying for Michael Avenatti, attorney for Stormy Daniels, and the continued work of Fusion GPS? Might that be donor money not being reported?
It’s the double standard led by the team at the top that is undermining the rule of law. Either these are both administrative matters to be handled by the Federal Election Commission or they are both criminal investigations with raids on law firms, but we can’t have the lawyers of one party raided and the lawyers of the other party laughing out loud.
The Republicans and the Justice Department inspector general have raised legitimate questions about the operation of the FBI and the Justice Department. The FBI’s deputy director, Andrew McCabe, was removed for alleged lying that was painstakingly documented by the inspector general’s report. The texts of FBI officials Lisa Page and Peter Strzok exposed animus against the president by the bureau’s lead agents.
Christopher Steele was paid for by the Democrats and did become a vendor of the FBI when he spread completely unsubstantiated allegations of the worst kind against the president to the press and, allegedly, lied about it. These transgressors are all giving interviews and writing books, basking in support from the “resistance.”
The point is straightforward. There are plenty of serious questions about the foundation of all these investigations, and it is entirely legitimate for congressional committees to demand documents and answers. This is especially important here because while, technically, the president should be able to demand answers, he is blocked from doing so by the threats of the special counsel to subpoena and prosecute him for even raising doubt about the Mueller operation.
Now, quite stunningly, Rosenstein, who has been behind Justice Department stonewalling of Congress for months, dares threaten even Congress for merely carrying out its fully protected duty. Talk about thin-skinned. We need to now restore the true, unbiased and fairly administered rule of law here that answers the question of whether Donald Trump colluded with the Russian government without attempting to trap the president into obstruction of justice for a nonexistent crime or turning this into a circus.
We need to get to the bottom of what Comey did in all of these investigations, and whether they were compromised. We must have both tasks carried out fully and fairly. It’s clear now that Rod Rosenstein, with his comments, is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary...-above-the-law

August is online  
Old 05-04-18, 08:53 AM   #4659
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Trump's new lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, went on to both Sean Hannity and Fox & Friends and confirmed that Trump had known about the Stormy Daniels payment and had, throught another law firm, paid back the $130k to Cohen. (Something Trump had denied previously)
Of course there are two angles to this already. The left wing media/never Trumpers are saying that it is a huge mistake on Giuliani’s part. For a guy with Giuliani’s experience I would be very skeptical that this is the case.

More likely, Giuliani knows that it is true and is getting it out there first. He knew it would come out eventually. He didn't tell the WH first because ,you know....leaks. As to whether Trump lied on Air Force One when he said he didn’t know anything about the payment to Daniels timing would be everything. When did Trump find out about the payment? According to his attorney, Trump knew nothing of the payout at the time it was paid, and even while repaying it was not aware exactly what Cohen had fixed.

Is someone lying? Someone is always lying.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 05-04-18, 09:07 AM   #4660
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

“You were here long before any of us were here,” he told the elderly code talkers. “Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.”

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 05-04-18, 09:31 AM   #4661
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Exactly and lying to the press (especially) is not a crime, heck it's almost a presidential job description. Some of the more (in)famous examples:

"If you like your health care plan you can keep it."
"Unprovoked attack by north Vietnamese gun boats"
"(The Mexicans) invaded our territory and shed the blood of our fellow-citizens on our own soil."
"We did not, I repeat, did not trade weapons or anything else [to Iran] for hostages, nor will we." (in fairness Reagan copped to the lie later on)
“I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” (Clinton copped to it later as well)
"I have previously stated, and I repeat now, that the United States plans no military intervention in Cuba."
"Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would, directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears."
"I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again: Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars,"
"I am fighting to keep our people out of foreign wars. And I will keep on fighting,"
"Your president says this country is not going to war."

August is online  
Old 05-04-18, 09:32 AM   #4662
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
“You were here long before any of us were here,” he told the elderly code talkers. “Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.”
Can you point out the lie in that statement?

August is online  
Old 05-04-18, 10:17 AM   #4663
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Of course there are two angles to this already. The left wing media/never Trumpers are saying that it is a huge mistake on Giuliani’s part. For a guy with Giuliani’s experience I would be very skeptical that this is the case.

More likely, Giuliani knows that it is true and is getting it out there first. He knew it would come out eventually. He didn't tell the WH first because ,you know....leaks. As to whether Trump lied on Air Force One when he said he didn’t know anything about the payment to Daniels timing would be everything. When did Trump find out about the payment? According to his attorney, Trump knew nothing of the payout at the time it was paid, and even while repaying it was not aware exactly what Cohen had fixed.

I think Gluliani and Trump talked about how to reveal this data ahead of time in a private meeting with Trump knowing full well that he had lied about the payments, plus Cohen was already sure that data was in his files and told Trump so in a private phone call after his office and phone records were searched.

Trump certainly knows where his dick has been which doesn't bother us men voters for sure, but oh those snotty women they care, uh?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 05-04-18, 10:30 AM   #4664
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Trump certainly knows where his dick has been which doesn't bother us men voters for sure, but oh those snotty women they care, uh?
Do they? So far I don't see it.

August is online  
Old 05-04-18, 11:21 AM   #4665
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I'm stealing that one for my 'Quotes' collection. Expect it in my sig someday.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter