SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-18, 12:54 AM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Observations:

• many ships still run illuminated after they become hostile
  • all glass (ex. plane canopies, binocular lenses) has an odd green hue
  • crew do not leave their stations once their ship is "sunk"; they wind up riding the ship down under the waves as it sinks
  • the fireball effect seems to rise way too fast and dissipate way too fast; it's a beautiful effect and rather "realistic", except for its speed.
  • no noticeable diesel sounds, either inside or outside, the boat
  • lookouts not spotting planes or ships until they are making attacks, even in clear weather; several times I've actually had bombs dropped on me and still never had the lookouts call out that they've spotted anything
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 06:24 PM   #2
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

@schlechter pfennig

-Can you tell me which nation and which ships?
-I know about the glas... that was intentionally.
-About the crew on skinking ships... that can be fixed with some of them easily
-The new explosion animations and smoke is limited technically.
-Exterior and interior diesel sounds are there... only some with full interior missing.. was reported too.
-Plane detection is still too early for my taste in WAC... planes should be more dangerous
Old 03-18-18, 08:08 PM   #3
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo78 View Post
@schlechter pfennig

-Can you tell me which nation and which ships?
I'll have to start keeping notes, as it is quite a few ships and nationalities.

Quote:
@schlechter pfennig

-Exterior and interior diesel sounds are there... only some with full interior missing.. was reported too.
I'm not using the "Full Interior" mod, yet I still do not have very audible diesel sounds.

Quote:
@schlechter pfennig

-Plane detection is still too early for my taste in WAC... planes should be more dangerous
I quite agree that planes should be more dangerous. However, I've had several instances where, with no warning, I suddenly get a "We're under attack!" followed by bombs, depth charges and/or machine gun fire, yet neither before, during or after do the lookouts actually spot the attacker. This is easily verified by pressing the ">" key, which toggles through first your own U-boat and then any other spotted ships, boats and/or planes: immediately following the aforementioned attack(s), asking the WO for closest visual contact gets the response of "No visual contact", and toggling the ">" key only displays your U-boat.
Old 03-22-18, 09:09 PM   #4
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Default CTD during patrol and subsequent reload attempts

Having a bit of trouble during this one patrol I'm running, and it's VERY vexing.

Patrol starts in April 13, 1942. Twice now, in the same location (just west of Ireland) and the same day (April 21, 1942) the game just CTDs. I'm running a max TC of 128X, and am careful to watch for flutters/stutters that mean something is spawning nearby, and have seen no sign of that.

After it CTD-ed the first time, I made sure to save-game twice a day (at F2 station, on the surface, at least 50 Km from my last ship encounter, at TC 1x). Reloading saved games results in a CTD; it reaches the "initializing" screen, pauses there for several seconds before CTD (the error fault is listed as Simdata.dll). I have 14 saves for this patrol . . . only save 4 loads, all the others resulted in CTD. Game save 4 had ships sunk, and depth charge attacks on me, so it doesn't seem to be that. However, save 5 did have an aircraft shot down, so I wonder if that is what's causing the CTD.

It's frustrating to get a CTD twice, in the same location/date, and it's also frustrating with it seeming that shooting down an aircraft results in a CTD of a saved game.

Would this be investigated, please? If you want help checking files, etc., just contact me and I'll help!
Old 03-24-18, 05:28 AM   #5
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367
Uploads: 0
Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
Having a bit of trouble during this one patrol I'm running, and it's VERY vexing.

Patrol starts in April 13, 1942. Twice now, in the same location (just west of Ireland) and the same day (April 21, 1942) the game just CTDs. I'm running a max TC of 128X, and am careful to watch for flutters/stutters that mean something is spawning nearby, and have seen no sign of that.

After it CTD-ed the first time, I made sure to save-game twice a day (at F2 station, on the surface, at least 50 Km from my last ship encounter, at TC 1x). Reloading saved games results in a CTD; it reaches the "initializing" screen, pauses there for several seconds before CTD (the error fault is listed as Simdata.dll). I have 14 saves for this patrol . . . only save 4 loads, all the others resulted in CTD. Game save 4 had ships sunk, and depth charge attacks on me, so it doesn't seem to be that. However, save 5 did have an aircraft shot down, so I wonder if that is what's causing the CTD.

It's frustrating to get a CTD twice, in the same location/date, and it's also frustrating with it seeming that shooting down an aircraft results in a CTD of a saved game.

Would this be investigated, please? If you want help checking files, etc., just contact me and I'll help!
Hi guys
Same happend to me. I was in my 5th patrol and ctd. I reinsalled the game
and again ctd.

Please help!!

cheers
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 01:47 PM   #6
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Default Possible CTD causes

After examining the multiple CTDs I've been lately experiencing, they seem to fall into one of two categories:

1. CTD during reloading of a saved game: The game CTDs during loading of a saved game, after getting the "initializing" screen message. This is often caused by a missing "materials" in a .dat file, and a primary cause of this is when a chunk is exported and then imported into a new file, even though the "materials" may be assigned to it, if that is also not exported/imported, the object will spawn/function in game the first time, but it will CTD if the game is saved and reloaded.
  2. CTD in mid-game without warning: The game abruptly CTDs, with no warning or obvious cause, at the same location and date. The only reason for this that I can see is some sort of spawning error, either in .SCR or .RND.
In the latter case, I have had two instances where the game crashed at the same location and point in time. The last time was Apr 21, 1942, just of the west coast of Ireland. Three times in a row the game CTD at that date/time/location, and I could see nothing that would cause that to occur.

In the former, I have no idea where to even begin looking for errors. I think it may have something to do with one of the aircraft, since I've noticed that after having shot several down, saved the game then tried to reload, I've CTD-ed.
Old 03-25-18, 01:28 AM   #7
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

@Schlechter Pfennig

-For CTDs west of Ireland there could be responsible the wrecks which are spawn there in multiple numbers but at no certain date.
So it is very unlikely that there is a unit responsile because there is no unit spawning at that time.

-How did you come to the conclusion of the missing materials? Where did you found these files?

I could use your information for the next patch!
Old 04-17-18, 10:07 AM   #8
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

I am having a new patch in the works. You can try it, if you want.
Old 04-17-18, 10:21 AM   #9
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Where to try it?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 04:33 AM   #10
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=812
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 05:13 AM   #11
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanov.ruslan View Post
Ok

If i understand, with MEP there is no more ships floating...
That’s why its first time i see that, because was always using MEP in GWX and NYGM
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote