SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-17, 01:50 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I have two browser.

The one I use daily and one I use on occasion.

Skybird wrote:

Explorer: dont cry for it. No other browser got attacked as much as this one. Fail.

Can't say if he's right or not about this statement, I do know however that every FB-friends and other online friends who have been hacked, tried to be hacked or other bad things have or had Chrome-

This made me remember an article I once read in a Computer magasin (while I was waiting at the barbershop)

"Though more a software or similar gets though more the hacker get interested in it, it has to reach about 50.000 or more before the hacker start looking at it with interest"

In the beginning Chrome wasn't that popular or was quite new-Hackers didn't bother to make virus program for this browser-Now everyone is taking about Chrome, everyone is saying a person with his brain in order use Chrome a.s.o.

year maybe-but it also makes the hacker a lot more interested in

That is my conclusion after having talked with my FB-friends and other friends when I ask them-Which browser do you use and they all have said-Chrome.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 04:04 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There's a new Chrome based browser out called Vivaldi. It's a GEM! It's been my primary browser for the last couple of months. Before that I used a Firefox derivative called Waterfox. It's probably the ultimate power user's browser, but Vivaldi is so darned snappy and fresh that it's really compelling. Just what they've done for history display will curl your toenails.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 06:19 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
There's a new Chrome based browser out called Vivaldi. It's a GEM! It's been my primary browser for the last couple of months. Before that I used a Firefox derivative called Waterfox. It's probably the ultimate power user's browser, but Vivaldi is so darned snappy and fresh that it's really compelling. Just what they've done for history display will curl your toenails.
Vivaldi is kind of successor to Opera. Many coders and programmers who worked on Opera, left Opera and now work on Vivaldi.

I read this ^. I do not know the browser, however. I also read that the former opera people in the Vivaldi team left Opera in anger and/or dissappointement. I take from that that Opera has not recovered from its unneeded, intentional fall.
Old 09-08-17, 06:25 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I have two browser.

The one I use daily and one I use on occasion.

Skybird wrote:

Explorer: dont cry for it. No other browser got attacked as much as this one. Fail.

Can't say if he's right or not about this statement, I do know however that every FB-friends and other online friends who have been hacked, tried to be hacked or other bad things have or had Chrome-

This made me remember an article I once read in a Computer magasin (while I was waiting at the barbershop)

"Though more a software or similar gets though more the hacker get interested in it, it has to reach about 50.000 or more before the hacker start looking at it with interest"

In the beginning Chrome wasn't that popular or was quite new-Hackers didn't bother to make virus program for this browser-Now everyone is taking about Chrome, everyone is saying a person with his brain in order use Chrome a.s.o.

year maybe-but it also makes the hacker a lot more interested in

That is my conclusion after having talked with my FB-friends and other friends when I ask them-Which browser do you use and they all have said-Chrome.

Markus
The more popular a browser or operaiton system is, the more thnakful a target it becomes. Thats why you see a correlation bertween popularity of a software, and the number of attacks on it. You code one malware - and reach many users with it. That was why the older Opera until severla years ago was quite safe, it had no big user base. That also is why Linux does not get attacked as much as Windows, it has a minimal user base in the private user segment. Intially Android was safe, with popularity came the attacks, Now even the webstore by Google is no longer the sterile security zone it once has been.

If you want to reduce the chances of attacks aiming at software you usek, use software that is not popular and not widespread. You get no guarantee, but you push chances in your favour. Thats why I use no stuff by Adobe, Microsoft, no Java, no flashplayer etc.
Old 09-08-17, 06:38 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

I rsearched a bit about Opera. It seems that they reversed over their mistake to no longer have bookmark lists in Opera. They came up with this fantastic (careful, cyncism) idea when they changed their browser engine to Chromium. Three months later half of their user base had disappeared. Since some versions they have brought it back recently, however. I read the browser now is one of the fastest if not the fastest out there, and has some comfort and security features you do not have in other browsers or that they must install via addons, it also comes with by default included popup blocker. Hoiwever, i have no info about privacy, and the thing bases on Chromium (Google). Scepticism is on order.

Maybe its time to give it another look. Its been five years or so since I left it behind. Sounds as if their deep fall has taught them some lessons, and the started to listen to people once again.

Its availabe for Windows, Mac, Android and Linux as well.