SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-15, 05:40 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Are Submarines About to Become Obsolete?

Quote:
What would happen if U.S. nuclear attack submarines—some of the most sophisticated and expensive American weapons of war—suddenly became obsolete? Imagine a scenario where these important systems became the hunted instead of the hunter, or just as technologically backward as the massive battleships of years past. Think that sounds completely insane? If advances in big data and new detection methods fuse with the anti-access/area denial (A2/AD) ambitions of nations like China and Russia, naval planners around the world might have to go back to the drawing board.
Full article here

Hard to imagine, but with the advances in drone technology.... picture a dozen drone torpedoes swarming a $3 billion dollar Fast Attack....
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 04:52 AM   #2
Downunderjock
Mate

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default I Wonder

I hope you will all, not hold it against me, in how I put this.

And O.K, it will prove maybe, how much I really know. This over 40 guy, I am.

So keelhaul me, or fire me out a torpedo tube or worse tie me to the mast as you, Dive, Dive, your Sub under water, hee!

With all the technology, we have globally (and no Govt would want to own up and admit it, plus the likes of NASA, ESA, etc.) that we can scan the earth in different light waves, IR, Gamma, X-rays, etc, from up above the earth. (and we can monitor and map under the ocean, via surface sea vessels. Like the current MH370 plane search.)

Whose to say with what we have in the skies above, we can now, look under the ocean surface. Very deeply and possibly rather clearly.

I am aware, that Subs of today can go, a lot deeper and engine wise etc can assist with detection. However, are we now able to scan from above, like that of say: Star Trek technology. If so, then, no one can hide.

And I hope, I am wrong. As that would make Subs, very much a fish out of water. Despite, being under it.

And drones and future ways, of warfare. let's not think Terminator and Skynet. Now that would be scary.
Downunderjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 07:18 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Step 1. Find the submarine. You have 70% of the earths surface to look for it. You can have 20 gazillion satellites, drones, and angry ex wives searching but as soon as we pull the plug...good luck. Once you complete step 1 then we can talk about step 2.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 05:33 AM   #4
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88

....if the worlds navies are really so good in detecting stuff that subs are about to become obsolete, then tell me, where is MH370....
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 05:42 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

As long as there are surface ships/navies there will be a need for submersibles.

Advances in technology will go hand in hand both on and under the surface, the only definite may well be the fewer personnel needed aboard these machines.

Mind you, future developments should be fascinating to see unfold, should we live long enough to witness them.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-15, 08:16 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Step 1. Find the submarine. You have 70% of the earths surface to look for it. You can have 20 gazillion satellites, drones, and angry ex wives searching but as soon as we pull the plug...good luck. Once you complete step 1 then we can talk about step 2.
Haha, good answer.
Old 04-27-15, 02:45 PM   #7
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

This is why we need more diesel boats and the new upcoming submarine drones that can fly if they have to.

I have seen a vision of what a submarine tender could be like with a half dozen diesel submarines that can be launched whenever the need is present, plus drones underwater and launched from the submarine tender.

A nobody nothing game player like me doesn't have a chance of getting through to the top.

What would it take if the naval architect started designing the tender and the submarines right now, after approval of course?

Less than five years or more than five years?

Anyone know the address of the Secretary of the Navy (lol) just kidding
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote