SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-15, 02:30 PM   #1
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Here's the info on C2 cargo in the version of NYGM (TMT, NYGM version) I'm playing:

[Unit]
ClassName=KLS
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=15.5
Length=140.5
Width=19.5
Mast=22.6
Draft=7.8
Displacement=14225
RenownAwarded=4770

There is a huge difference between Displacement and RenownAwarded. Which number should I report, Displacement or RenownAwarded?
Since NYGM counts only tonnage, not "renown", and displacement, while not exactly GRT, is a close measure, I would certainly use displacement.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 09:40 AM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I'll try displacement then. We'll see how that works.
Old 02-12-15, 11:31 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I'll try displacement then. We'll see how that works.
I use the BRT numbers right out of LGN1's Color_RecManual_V2, available at Plissken's (natch!). They match the numbers which NYGM posts to my .clg file closely enough that SH3Log (another LGN1 product) is happy with them. Sometimes, BdU says that they have "corrected" my estimates using "other sources", (Abwehr presumably) but they don't throw them out. BTW, I seldom get the ship ID right. Since I use Hitman's GUI, I don't need an accurate ID to get a firing solution, so I usually ID after the fact. (This was certainly done often RL, to judge by the first-person accounts.) With 100+ ship classes in MFM and periodic changes in ship skins, I can seldom guess the right class. One Medium Merchant looks pretty much like another. I'm sure this was true RL, as well. But, since one Medium Merchant also displaces pretty much like another, the numbers are good enough to satisfy BdU, as represented by SH3Log. After I have submitted my report, I do peek in the saved .clg file just to score myself, and the tonnages are within 20%, while the ship classes are all over the park. But I have just finished Volume 1 of Blair's book, and I do better than the historical Kaleuns!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 12:48 PM   #4
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

That's true with me as well. I don't often id my targets either. It's not necessary while manual targeting. (I sometimes don't hit my intended target either. The last sinking I did was revealed to me when I saved the game and exited. Suddenly it said 9000 tonnes sunk. I had missed my target and hit a troop transport ship of sorts. A long range night surface attack in NYGM and a visibility of max 4000 meters. I only saw some of the ships in the convoy's fringes. I did see some fire but I thought it was some of the smaller ships that were on fire because of the stormy seas.)

I love SH3