SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-15, 05:53 PM   #1
Akula17024
Sailor man

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default Help

Can anyone help out or point to a thread, I'm sure this question has been asked before, in fact I have seen it in the past, but now that I need it I cant find it. I need to reinstall a clean version o SH3 but I want to save my career and install it with my version of SH3. The current SH3 is now messed up after loading the vulnerability mod which i didn't like and after removing it I am having several issues with SH3.

Thanks!
Akula17024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 06:54 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Akula

All your game saves and your game options are in your:

Documents folder

SH3 folder

data folder

cfg folder

You will notice that there are 2 folders and 7 files in the cfg folder.

if you make a copy of your cfg folder, logically, when you do your reinstallation, delete the empty cfg file installed, and copy and paste back the cfg folder you saved.

Unless someone knows differently this should work.

I have never uninstalled SH3, but when uninstalling SH4 and SH5 from the Control Panel you are asked whether you want to keep your saved games.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 07:05 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

Should you try to save that career know a few things.
You'll need every mod installed that that career used before you even try to resume it.
Should it crash again? Just delete the SH3 folder in My Documents and start over.

Welcome to the pain!
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 05:33 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

I agree with Jeff-Groves. If you want to reuse the SH3 savegame folder then it only needs the same set of mods, in the right order, in the new install. The content of those mod folders in MODS should be safe so you can copy it, but you better not forget one in the list when you re-enable them. The latest version of JSGME has a feature of getting the sequence list of mods to be saved to a file.

Do not copy the entire mods folder though, as there is a hidden folder that JSGME uses for administration and backup of the modded files. Re-inserting that into your new install is going to extend your problems.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 05:57 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

You can back up your enabled mods by saving them to a mep file using the Task button in JSGME.

JSGME just needs to know that the mods exist whether they are enabled or disabled as long as they are there.

Picking up on Pisces point. The configuration setting found in the mods folder can be deleted.

The mods folder can be moved with its contents.

If JSGME is reinstalled with a new mods folder the new mods folder can be deleted and replaced with the old one or just copy and paste the mods from the old folder into the new one.

The easy way to do this is highlight mod 1 and hold the shift key down and highlight the last mod.

All mods are highlighted and can be copied and pasted to the new mod folder.

If you open JSGME all the mods should be showing on the left side disabled.

You can do a simple test if you wish by just enabling 1 mod.

If you then check your mods folder you should see a new JSGME configuration setting installed.

Without testing when the mep file is re-enabled JSGME will put a new configuration setting in your old mods folder again.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 09:54 AM   #6
Akula17024
Sailor man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
You can back up your enabled mods by saving them to a mep file using the Task button in JSGME.

JSGME just needs to know that the mods exist whether they are enabled or disabled as long as they are there.

Picking up on Pisces point. The configuration setting found in the mods folder can be deleted.

The mods folder can be moved with its contents.

If JSGME is reinstalled with a new mods folder the new mods folder can be deleted and replaced with the old one or just copy and paste the mods from the old folder into the new one.

The easy way to do this is highlight mod 1 and hold the shift key down and highlight the last mod.

All mods are highlighted and can be copied and pasted to the new mod folder.

If you open JSGME all the mods should be showing on the left side disabled.

You can do a simple test if you wish by just enabling 1 mod.

If you then check your mods folder you should see a new JSGME configuration setting installed.

Without testing when the mep file is re-enabled JSGME will put a new configuration setting in your old mods folder again.

Peter

Thanks for the help guys!

Berbster ...that is exactly what did....so far so good.

It is people like you that make this community so awesome!

Thank sagain for your help and time everyone!

John
Akula17024 is offline   Reply With Quote