SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-09, 09:58 AM   #1
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Win XP Lockups?

Right,where to start? I've been modding my XP powered PC and everything has been going fine,until yesterday,I fitted my Corsair H50 liquid cooling kit,everything fitted fine So far so good.
Used the PC all that evening and it was running like a dream,switched it off,went to start it up the next morning and now all I get is lockups,nothing but Reboot it and it wll run for 5-10 mins,very slowly,until it just locks up entirely,forcing a reboot
Nothing has changed software wise,and every thing hardware wise has been checked and double checked and its all good,so whats gone wrong?
Even starting in safe mode doesn't last for long,you think you've got it stable again and then it just hangs
Its just driving me nuts as to what it can be,any suggestions or any ideas would really help cause at this moment its looking like I'm going to have to trash the HD and start again Thank you.
Old 10-08-09, 10:10 AM   #2
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

That really sounds like a heat issue.

I know you said you checked and re-checked but triple check that the heatsink pad is properly seated on the cpu. Make sure all the ram and other cards are properly seated.

Sometimes things run 'normal' heat up 'normally' and when they cool down they move a little, just enough to get a faulty connection somewhere.

Also check that the PSU is up to the task
Old 10-08-09, 01:36 PM   #3
nikbear
Sea Lord

Will check again,The PSU should be up to the job,its an expensive 1000watt job,I'll get back to you and let you know if I find anything and thanks for the suggestions,I'm baffled as to what it is
Old 10-08-09, 01:50 PM   #4
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

I know that when I clean the heatsink on my CPU if it doesent get put back 'just exactly so' the machine boots starts to strap xp then quits.

and I mean just exactly so... its amazing how hard it is to get it right.
Old 10-08-09, 05:07 PM   #5
nikbear
Sea Lord

Right,it would seem to be some sort of software clash between windows defender,windows firewall(which should have been disabled,but somehow re-enabled itself) and Comodo anti-virus protection,its made a right mess of itself
Old 10-08-09, 05:11 PM   #6
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Wait a minute you said you had not made software changes.

Now your in the world of what the hell have I done to which the usual solution is reformatting.

Good luck with that.
Old 10-08-09, 08:51 PM   #7
nikbear
Sea Lord

Thats the thing,some things have re-enabled themselves without me doing a thing,bloody windows
Old 10-09-09, 03:08 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Have you monitored the CPU temperature to make sure it's not overheating? Did you use good heat transfer paste?
Seems a strange coincident that this happens now, if it's hardware I would think it's either HDD or CPU, and since the new kit I'd say the latter!
Hope the liquid hasn't weeped out!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 10:02 AM   #9
nikbear
Sea Lord

Got it to start in selective startup mode,it runs ok,then 5 mins in it just locks as soon as you click on any thing,goes to eggtimer and stays there,if you try to shut anything down it say the usual'This program is not responding' box.
I've got a program from ASRock,the mobo makers,that measures temps and they all appear fine
Old 10-09-09, 01:15 PM   #10
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

What components are cooled by the LC? If you have a heatpipe/heatspreaders on the NB, it would still need airflow for cooling. Sure the kit covers everything that needs a bit of cooling?

I'd still let a fan run in the front and back to get some flow through the case to cool the HDs. Or are they cooled by the LC as well?

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 08:11 PM   #11
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Take a snap of the open case and post it, may not see anything but curious!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 09:07 PM   #12
nikbear
Sea Lord

Will do chaps,will post it up tomorrow