SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-16, 03:54 PM   #16
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

And as if to emphasise my point about him being a natural leader - what do I read in the next chapter?

He is in between his first and second patrols, choosing a new COB, and he picks Swish.

He calls in Swish - who doesn't seem to feel that he is up to the job.

Swish - 'Captain, all the men are my friends. As COB I'd have to tell them off and discipline them? How could I do that?'

Fluckey - 'Swish, I don't want a b-------, I want a leader. We don't drive men on board the Barb. We lead them. From my experience with b-------, they achieve about equal results. But there's one big difference. When you lead men, they want to ship over and stay with you. Anything else?'

Swish - 'Sir, there's all that responsibility. What if I goof?'

Fluckey - 'On responsibility, you'll grow with it and enjoy it as you shape things and people. On goofing - so you goof. Don't hide it or cover up. Do your best to correct your mistakes and don't be afraid to ask for help from anyone from top to bottom. You'll find people are complimented when you ask for help. . . . . . In submarines we hang our rates on the gangway when we come aboard. It's what you can do that counts with me'

Oh man - I read this on the train on the way into work and found it truly inspirational, and also quite moving. I knew I was going to have to post it on SUBSIM this evening

That is the kind of boss you want
That is the kind of boss you need
That is the boss who you know has your back every time
That is the boss who you will do your utmost best for, and always go the extra mile

I honestly cannot put into words how impressed I am with this man - a true natural born leader

Any SUBSIM members who have not read Thunder Below, please please please do yourself a favour and buy it now

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon

Last edited by max-peck; 07-20-16 at 04:06 PM.
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote