SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-09, 08:56 PM   #1
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Windows 7 gripes and problems

Ok - before anyone gets the wrong idea - I really like W7.

However, I do have some gripes with it - mainly in the games department.

So here is a thread for those who are playing with it to post their gripes - what doesn't work, what workarounds have you found, etc....

I am running the 32 bit version at the moment. Ok here is my list - so far:

Star Wars Rebellion - older game - wont run. Needs a Dx file that isnt present. You can download the individual file or get a dx9 version - put it in the folder and it still craps out. Also can reg it - but it still doesnt help. This game is a no go moving forward. Compatibility mode also doesnt work for it. Pity.....

Pacific Fighters - The install wont even run. Again, compatiblity mode does nothing.

Narscar Simracing - last decent race sim for nascar put out - installs fine but the cube3d app that configures the graphix crashes - so you can't even go to cheesy default graphics and then modify from in game. Another dead on arrival.

OK - 3 "older" games - from the 90's to more recent stuff.... so how about a brand spanking new game?

Dawn of War 2 perhaps?

Install is fine - run the bugger - and guess what - you get a DX error. Its missing a file. A DX9 file to be exact. Ok - install DX9 (works fine on vista with dx10 after all - so it should work) - guess what - DX9 redist wont install a single file if you run it.... sheesh! However - if you dl just the dll it needs - put that file in your DOW folder - the game will run - thankfully.

So far I haven't gone digging for more - but I will add to this list as I find other stuff. if anyone out there has similiar problems with games, and especially if you find a workaround - post it!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote