SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-13, 04:29 PM   #1
acemczero
Swabbie

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default I'm the traitor!?

So returning from my first patrol, I was just about to pull into Kiel when I was attacked by several German ships. Long story short, they pretty much ambushed me and I had no shot, being in port waters and all. When my career results screen popped up, the two ships I'd sunk on patrol (British and French) were tallied under Axis tonnage.

Um...

This was in 12/1939, using SH3 Commander 3.2 and GWX 3.0. Last time I played this game, I never had this bug happen to me. Any idea what happened?
acemczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 04:41 PM   #2
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Don't sink French but Free French!...Not the same!....Distinctions have to be made.

Look in the museum to recognize the 2 different flags and the ships available under the different flags!
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 05:18 PM   #3
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Oh my god, I didn't know that could happen!

You poor guy.
Old 10-08-13, 07:39 PM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
Don't sink French but Free French!...Not the same!....Distinctions have to be made.

Look in the museum to recognize the 2 different flags and the ships available under the different flags!
If acemzero's date is correct, I don't think that's the problem. In December, 1939, there are only French, and they are at war with Germany. Have sunk quite a few and BdU likes it when I do.

But what an awful turn of events! Sunk by the KM while returning home! Sounds like you have a corrupt installation somehow!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 08:38 PM   #5
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

I hate to be this guy but are you sure you identified the nationality correct? there are some flags that can be similar/confusing and easily misidentified in low light situations.

Edit after reviewing the flags none of them would cause the issue you are experiencing short of btritan being mistaken as germany's. another thought comes to mind... wrong date because sinking ships before 9/01/1939 and GWX will start you at 8/01/1939. though with commander you can start in December i don't know what the issue could be short of screen shots a few things.

Last edited by desertstriker; 10-08-13 at 09:09 PM.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:10 PM   #6
acemczero
Swabbie

Yea I external view all my kills (so pretty) and even though it was dark out, blue-white-red is definitely French. I also consult the flag chart while I wait and it says " France (AL) 09-39". Bdu even offered me a round when I got home...not the round I was expecting. I was cruising topside and thinking "those two tugboats sure are far out to sea" and viewing them off to port with my binoculars when I heard the "ZING!" of bullets off my hull and the view started shaking. A KM gunboat had flanked me on the right. I dove to periscope depth but by then the flooding had started and I wound up skidding along the seafloor (bout 20m deep) and wrecking the whole bottom of my boat. Blew ballast and died at a 45 degree angle with my bow stuck in the sand. It was actually gutwrenching. Also, these (the ships I sank) were merchants flying war flags (not the maritime variations). It might just be a bad install. Such a wonderful first patrol back from retirement and this happens. The British sinking, I kinda cheated a bit. It was dark and I'd already let a Norwegian merchant go (a big juicy cargo ship), so I external'd my next encounter and sure enough, it was a big red flag with the Union Jack in the corner. So I'm 101% certain I sank Allied vessels.

Last edited by acemczero; 10-09-13 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 01:12 AM   #7
acemczero
Swabbie

Ok, so my mod list in JSGME is:

GWX- 16k atmosphere
-Ehanced Damage Effects
-Open Hatch Mod
-Merged Campaign
-Main Movie 'Das Boot' (which doesn't seem to work)
-English Nav Map and Grid Refs (Map's still in German, something's wrong here)
-Axis Med Aircraft Skins
-Integrated Orders
-Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
-VIIC41 Player Sub
ManosEnvironmentPro v4.2
The MaGui mod (final)
TMT v2 with EFS (GWX3 version)

I'm just getting back into the game after 3 years and getting a new computer. So I'm not nearly as proficient as I was back then when my game was nearly issue free. Now though...

In SH3 Commander, I tried to take the IX in sub select but started with the IIa.
Sinking allied shipping resulted in axis tonnage.
The game CTD'd the first time I tried to sail through the canal from Kiel to Wilhemshaven, though it went smooth the 2nd time.
When I went the long way to get back to Kiel, I was methodically executed by two German tugboats and a small gun boat that popped up out of nowhere. This happening not 20 km from when I expected the "dock at port" popup.

Also, I know I can do it in SH4 and maybe I just don't remember taking damage in SH3 back then, but when my bow torpedo room started flooding, I had no option to prioritize repairs, and everything else was getting repaired while I sat on the seafloor. Ended up dying with my ass hangin' out of the water. Quite hilarious.

But yea, I probably installed the mods incorrectly where I would've done fine 3 years ago. Especially GWX, it just didn't look right to me...I guess I'm back to being a noob, and it cost me my career.
Old 10-09-13, 06:49 AM   #8
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

I don’t have a solution, but a couple of observations about your mod list:

First of all. unless you are planning to go from Kiel to the Med or the Pacific, there is no need for Merged Campaign. It just clutters your memory and increases loading time a lot.

Second, if you are not patrolling in the Med, you don’t want German aircraft to show up with Axis Med Aircraft Skins. This mod will use the Med skins no matter where you are.

Third, VIIC41 Player Sub is only useful if you have a VIIC41, which is unlikely in ’39. This mod replaces an earlier sub, so it might be causing you problems. WAEFRTD.

Finally, Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas IIRC can cause some problems when used before you actually have the equipment installed (like in ’39). Again, RTD.

The fact that some very uncomplicated mods (like changing the main movie) don’t work suggests you may have your entire mod installation incorrect. You might want to verify that JSGME.exe is in you main game folder, that the Mods folder is in your main game folder, and that each mod folder contains ONLY a folder called Data.

Oh, and by any chance are you running the Steam version of SH3? Because if you are, that’s the cause of your mod problems. The Steam version IS NOT the same as the publisher’s version that you get from any other vendor. It requires special handling to get mods to work.

Although I've never heard of the Steam version causing the KM to go after you!
Old 10-09-13, 06:54 AM   #9
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

I am seeing no immediate conflict from your mod list, other than what BigWalley pointed out.
couple questions did you manually select select the type II or did the game just give it to you? (i am suspecting the game gave it to you despite what you selected in SH3C but want it clarified) and my other one is do you have the GWX SH3C files?

Edit BigWalley is also correct with the steam part....

Last edited by desertstriker; 10-09-13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 08:27 AM   #10
Rammstein0991
Engineer

Downloads: 164
SHO

Tis my woe as well, Steam SHIII, only mod I got to work so far is SHIIIC
Rammstein0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 08:36 AM   #11
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

OK a little off topic but i will start to make video tutorials today for SH3 on steam since it looks like we need them.

Rammstein in the meantime locate your steam folder (should be in program files x64) then navigate to steamapps>common right click on the folder titled SilenthunterIII (or something like that) go to properties and select the security tab. click edit (you will need admin privileges for this step) then enable full control (cant tell you the specific user to give FC to at the moment)
Old 10-09-13, 08:50 AM   #12
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Rammstein, desertstriker will get you on track. (You too, acemzero, if Steam is at the root of your problems.) He Da Man when it comes to managing the Steam version. SH3 Commander is not really a mod, but a stand-alone program. It works with any version. The Steam version requires some extra steps to get mods to work, but it's doable.

@desertstriker: Thanks for the indirect compliment, but a BigWalleye is just a large fish. I can't claim to be BigWalley!
Old 10-09-13, 10:47 AM   #13
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

I am looking forward to advice re: Steam, which I use now, and used from 2009-2011.

I have never had it cause a mod conflict (to my knowledge), but then I only have GWX and some assorted mainstream mods. But I sure want to avoid pitfalls!

That said, I find it hard to imagine a mod conflict would cause the KM to go bat-crazy like that...
Old 10-09-13, 10:59 AM   #14
acemczero
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
I don’t have a solution, but a couple of observations about your mod list:

The fact that some very uncomplicated mods (like changing the main movie) don’t work suggests you may have your entire mod installation incorrect. You might want to verify that JSGME.exe is in you main game folder, that the Mods folder is in your main game folder, and that each mod folder contains ONLY a folder called Data.

Oh, and by any chance are you running the Steam version of SH3? Because if you are, that’s the cause of your mod problems. The Steam version IS NOT the same as the publisher’s version that you get from any other vendor. It requires special handling to get mods to work.

Although I've never heard of the Steam version causing the KM to go after you!

I wouldn't put it past Steam to try and kill me off. I had to wrestle with customer support just to verify my old account with the computer and email change. Fools tried to swindle me out of my Audiosurf and Beat Hazard purchases...but I digress.

I try to avoid Steam whenever possible, I have the physical copy of SH3.

And I know right? I remember Das Boot working back in my past life, so when it wouldn't load up, I had that feeling of dread. Haha I'll have to check where everything is located.

I don't remember, but did GWX do anything to the campaign similar to what RSRDC does with SH4? Truth be told, all I care about is pushing my GTX 780 graphics and effects-wise, and a realistic campaign.

@Desert Yea I chose the IX in SH3C but they stuck me in a dinky type II, even though I chose to begin in December 1939 explicitly to avoid the type II. Guess I should've known the writing was on the wall, they didn't expect me to come home. And if I did make it back home, they still wouldn't let me come home.
Old 10-09-13, 11:04 AM   #15
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

sounds like a corrupt install then hate to be the bringer of bad news but.... uninstall, delete any remain folders, reg clean, you know the drill right?
though now i think about it there are a few other things that could cause it like starting the campaign in the wrong flotilla (that happened to me once) or even not rolling SH3C back before activating mods etc.