SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-15, 05:18 PM   #1
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Default Using two PCs for "real navigation"

Has anyone used two machines for "real navigation" in SH IV? I came up with this idea during PCU Gulper (SS-228) test runs off San Francisco; one PC to run actual sim and action, while another with SH IV and its map installed is used only for navigation.

At the moment I'm planning to do "real navigation" in a simple way:

PC1 map (with PC1 I mean the PC used for actual simulation) is used only when "shooting stars" is possible (i.e. basicly at times with visibility good enough to get a fix). All other "navigational tasks" will be conducted using the PC2 map - even when there is navigational aids (usually land marks) availibe and especially when dead reckoning is used.

Tips and hints are welcome from experienced "real navigators". One thing I'm wondering is helmsman's abilities to stay on course... Not including attack runs and so on, played at TC 1, I haven't run any extended period of time without at least one waypoint. But I have noticed usually helmsman is having hard times to keep sub on exact course - but I'm not familiar with deviation issue in SH IV. Gyro had to be adjusted periodically in real life of course, but I would not mind find myself clicking compass rose every five minutes to tell helmsman to mind his rudder... Experiences?

However, I would not mind to get more or less rid off the present "GPS" navigation either...

greetings,
-RC-
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-15, 09:38 PM   #2
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Wouldn't it be both more realistic and cheaper to just do your plots on paper?
Old 10-05-15, 09:50 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not sure I understand your method here.

Are you running 2 parallel sh games; one with sub icon, and one without? If that is the case, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a map printout instead of the second pc?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your operation.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15, 09:06 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Also, your PC2 map won't be updated for ownship movements. The real navigation plot was automatically updated for ownship movement through the TDC. I fear that in search of "realism" we just put paper bags over our heads in a thoughtless substitution of difficulty for actual realism.

Also, SH4 is not a planetarium program. As such positions of astronomical objects, especially the moon, are purely ficticious and don't check out with a real planetarium program, such as Carte du Ciel, The Sky or others made for astronomers. SH4 is a submarine simulator. Period.

You might run three computers, one with SH4 running your game, one with SH4 for mapping only, one with Carte du Ciel or qualified substitute. The problem is that to render the sky accurately, the astronomy program needs your position! See the problem?

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-06-15 at 09:12 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15, 12:29 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

I really don't get the need for the second pc running the game. What should you do in it that you cannot do in the first by switching to other screens?

The prime issue with this idea is synchronisation of the 2 games. One being the time. You'd have to make sure the clock is started/stopped/accelerated in exactly the same way on both. And the helmsman will wander off the commanded course eventually. There is no garuantee that this is matched in both games. Very likely the waypoints and other randomized events (of scripted NPC-units) is not identical on both machines. Or do you mean on the 2nd "(real) navigation" game the sub is kept in harbor all during the patrol, and you only use the tools on the map?
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 02:27 PM   #6
abclark98
Nub

Downloads: 23

I believe that is the case, as you would have to manually plot your course and position
abclark98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 04:56 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

abclark98!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 10:13 PM   #8
Simmy
Planesman

Downloads: 187

Sounds involved.
I use two computers in my setup. One to run the game, the other has
Solution Solver running. That way when I make a contact I can figure
out my plan of attack without having to Tab/Alt out of the game.
Works very well.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 10:49 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
Sounds involved.
I use two computers in my setup. One to run the game, the other has
Solution Solver running. That way when I make a contact I can figure
out my plan of attack without having to Tab/Alt out of the game.
Works very well.
I take it, you've experienced the 'CO2' bug?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote