View Single Post
Old 08-29-08, 07:13 PM   #759
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Sorry, I've been a bit too busy again with RL stuff. Anyway, thanks again Anvart for pointing me to the emission byte. I have added it to next release. I was just pondering if selfillumination is a better term though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDuck
As for the flags, I remember them from my early SHIII modding days. Someone called them responsible for alpha channel behaviour, so did I. In the beginning I used them to make a material transparent. But an aplha was desperately needed to achieve transparency. Then Avart told about the byte trailing the materialīs ID, thank you.
Yea, the zbuffer is the key here. To make a true transparent face/plane both opacity and this zbuffer flag must be used in conjuction.

I've never been able to put correct terminology/purpose on those values, and while I've seen what changing them did, it was hard for me to put it in S3D, because if I can't explain it in simple words, then there was no purpose for me to put it in (would only confuse the user). When I made the 3D viewer for S3D I noticed similar renderings (unintentionally), and found out that those render states (zbuf/cull) caused it.

Quote:
It works with SHIV too, BUT as soon as omnidirectional lights are introduced to a scene, the material and the corresponding object disappear. Besides changing these values seems to have a tremendous impact on the frame rate, at least on my system.

Have you ever noticed, that the glasses in any sub have specular highlights / reflections only? But you canīt see them. Whenever they crush, the animation is triggered and played, but the broken glass textures donīt show up after the event.
Interesting. I do too little modding myself to see such things. Did it work in SH3 correctly then?

Quote:
Note to Skwas, the MipMapBias is a floating point value.
Thanks, I will correct it.

skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote