View Single Post
Old 08-22-07, 07:09 PM   #134
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

About the .sdl file, yea, I will probably implement this in the future. It does not have the same file structure (it's easier actually), and therefor I can't support it right now in the current UI. But yea, sometime.

Next, about documentation and what every goddamn property means, this is in the works. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last version, but there's a reason (apart from limited time). I've analyzed the entire parser and rewritten a part where I move away from the xml-config file which was needed to override autodetection of types. It will thus no longer be used. In stead, I am now using a dynamic script compiler for supporting the data inside the controllers. This compiler reads plain C# source files, in which each controller can be defined. For now, I've already coded 90 controllers, and still some more to go.

Simply put, no more autodetection (and thus errors), but full strong typed support, including a comment on EACH property (taken from each .act file). This makes it very easy to understand what each property is for. Those with some C# knowledge (or myself) can add controllers or modify existing ones if necessary (and add/change documentation), and when you run S3D it will compile it, generate new documentation, and voila...

[edit]With this big change, I am confident S3D will not make mistakes in writing files back correctly. Beta stage may be very near.[/edit]

I've also thought of introducing another new feature where I insert a new chunk (with an id the game does not know), and use this to store user comments. I haven't tested if the game trips on this though. Just an idea atm.

I hope to add a help file too some time.

About deleting a node. Yea, this was intentional (for the time being anyway). Reason was, when your view is in 'List' mode, you'd see a whole bunch of nodes getting removed (because they are related). Also, there are still some objects, that are not really parented, like 3D models. 3D models can be shared across different nodes, so this would also be weird if the entire tree got removed, but not the 3D model. I had to make a descision here. I agree it's a bit weird if you don't expect it. Don't know what's best, maybe allow you to choose by a message...

Last edited by skwasjer; 08-22-07 at 07:21 PM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote