View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 06:59 AM   #610
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
If you need the original model you can pick the one in the .dat, it's the unmodified/working one.
I'm pretty sure that I exported that 2nd uv, anyway I retried in another way :

In S3D, I exported the working model again, and imported in 3dsmax. When I'm done with the import I have the unwrap modifier active and the 4th channel. So, to make sure I don't forget anything, I click "edit", select the objects I want to delete, and delete its UVs, then save as "uv4". Then switch to channel 3, "edit", select objects, delete UVs, save as uv3. Then same for uv2, so now I'm back to channel 1, select object, delete UVs. then I delete the unwrap modifier, "break vertices" on my "editable mesh" and finally delete the object, and export it.
When I import it in S3D I have this :

Now tell me if I'm being a pain, and I'll stick to the number crunching part
No pain, no gain.

Anyway, I see the problem a bit although I don't exactly know all the steps you did (wrong).

The process should be:
  1. Import obj into Max.
  2. Add unwrap modifier, set to channel 2, load uv2 file.
  3. Add unwrap modifier, set to channel 3, load uv3 file.
  4. Add unwrap modifier, set to channel 4, load uv4 file.
  5. Optionally, collapse the modifiers.
  6. Delete the geometry with an 'Edit Mesh' modifier.
  7. Add ONE unwrap modifer, reuse it to save each channel seperately (2, 3, 4)
  8. Export obj file.
  9. Delete the last (temp) unwrap modifier
Note that you can't reuse the unwrap modifier to load all the uv channels. You are simply replacing the previously loaded data and end up with only the last one! I say this because your last 2 maps were identical, and default!

I replayed this for you, and it works
This package contains the model I exported from Max using above steps.

http://sh4.skwas.net/media/mikhayl_new.rar

PS: I didn't break the vertices, I just added an 'Edit mesh' modifier and selected the faces, and hit delete...
PS2: the new release its UV map preview function will help you detect problems. I used it here locally and immediately saw there were incorrect maps exported from Max.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote