View Single Post
Old 04-20-08, 04:51 PM   #604
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
It's my hardcore (hexedit) habit ... to have in 3DS Max the same sequences of parameters as in an original file ... it allows to make some changes in 3D models by simple mathematical methods ...
I see... It's hard to break a habit, I can understand that. Well, one thing you can do is still use the .obj files of Pack3D, and then just use the extra .uvw files from S3D. At least then you have the same data in Max. But it is some more work to do the exports. But you will still need S3D for import, in which case you are still at the mercy of my optimization code, unfortunately.

@all, as S3D evolves, it doesn't only become more complex for me to maintain, but obviously I also keep strugling keeping it as easy as possible to use for you. Some say it's very easy, but most of them have witnessed the development from day one. For newcomers, it IS still a complex tool even if it was for the game structure itself. You can potentially break the game easier with S3D than with a hex editor, because more people can play around with it, who would otherwise be scared away by a hex editor.

That said, I do intend to work on actual documentation in the future but my biggest problem is I am a developer, not a writer. And from personal experience, no developer should write documentation of their own software. They simply are too close to the product to be able to write good documentation. I am also no real modder, so for me it's hard to make examples as I don't have any real material to work with.

Still, I do intend to write more down. I am pretty sure there are even a couple of features or tricks most of you aren't even aware of. However, I also hope some of the more 'experienced' users can use some of their time to help others out by writing up some tutorials/basics, walkthroughs (for example import/export in the different 3D studio's, I've only covered Max myself), webcasts, etc. perhaps based on one of their own (mini)mods.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote