View Single Post
Old 04-10-08, 04:54 PM   #522
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepIron
Understandable... best not to lose too much "momentum" over this... FWIW, I'd have to say .obj would be a logical choice at this point... simple format and easily converted by just about every modeler out there...

However, I'd say you're doing a smokin' job of it and I'm sorry for your setback...
What pisses me off even more is that I just should have listened to myself. Almost one year ago, just after I started this project I talked to DivingDuck (now part of GWX team), and said I was going to do it the way I described above. We talked about it and it was a good idea. It was going to be tedious because of manual postprocessing was required in a 3D studio, but it would work.

But I had so many other features and general functionality to develop, I postponed model support for a few months. Then, I said, let's find a better 3D format that does 'all'. And well, here we are now. Damn 3D industry.
If I just followed my initial idea, that quick-n-dirty approach would have been in S3D for at least 6-7 months...

The upside is, I have obj-exporter/importer code lying around from a project a few years back when I made some tools for other games (it already has features to reverse face winding, specify up-vector, and supports various other options). It will need a bit of a facelift, but it won't take very long from now. I promise...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote