PDA

View Full Version : 400m depth gauge mod

Grifter808
07-25-05, 12:11 AM
Does anybody know what the crush depth is for VII-type boats when you install this mod?

I just don't want to dive too deep.

Duncan Idaho
07-25-05, 12:48 AM
The mod you refer to only changes the gauge, it doesn't change the depth you can go to. If you only install the gauges, the sub is still only using the default crush depth. Use SH3 Crush Depth Changing tool available at the link below to set the depth. (The tool tells you what the official crush depths are listed as for each sub, so you can set each model to official depths if you like).

Download the tool here:
http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/sh3.htm

Grifter808
07-25-05, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. :yep:

Duncan Idaho
07-25-05, 03:37 AM
No prob. It's one of my favorite little tools.

ENtek-IO
07-25-05, 08:36 AM
ITs a nice tool, to bad it is censoring my input, seems as if the author thinks hes the only one to experiment with dive dephts, in the end you need a hex editor agin, sad.

timetraveller
07-25-05, 01:49 PM
ITs a nice tool, to bad it is censoring my input, seems as if the author thinks hes the only one to experiment with dive dephts, in the end you need a hex editor agin, sad.

Sad?

If you think I stayed up nights worrying if you will dive deeper than allowed, please know that I have better things to do.

The limits were set up for two reasons:

1. Realism's sake, as at the time the majority of the group wanted realistic depth values for limits.

2. The multiplayer problem, so people playing multiplayer don't have an unfair advantage over others, with subs that go to 500 meters.

Try the hex editor, it really isn't that hard to use.

TT

SeaSlug_U999
07-26-05, 09:01 AM
1. Realism's sake, as at the time the majority of the group wanted realistic depth values for limits.

2. The multiplayer problem, so people playing multiplayer don't have an unfair advantage over others, with subs that go to 500 meters.

TT

Hi there Timetraveller,

I messed around with the hex editor myself, just to get a glimpse of the sh3 engine (i.e. increased depth leads to increased resistance to depth charges/shells/collisions). It seems that my sub is better at collisions, and I don't like that, since ... errr... it su**s.

By the way, you could make your sub to reach 1000m, but I noticed that below 266 my sub does not follow the plotted nav course. When it reaches a waypoint it keeps circling around it. So, I have to delete each waypoint when reached.

Eventually I reinstalled the originals, it's much more fun.

Did you encounter the same problems?

timetraveller
07-26-05, 10:48 AM

TT

Hi there Timetraveller,

I messed around with the hex editor myself, just to get a glimpse of the sh3 engine (i.e. increased depth leads to increased resistance to depth charges/shells/collisions). It seems that my sub is better at collisions, and I don't like that, since ... errr... it su**s.

By the way, you could make your sub to reach 1000m, but I noticed that below 266 my sub does not follow the plotted nav course. When it reaches a waypoint it keeps circling around it. So, I have to delete each waypoint when reached.

Eventually I reinstalled the originals, it's much more fun.

Did you encounter the same problems?

Very interesting about the nav points. Hadn't noticed that myself, although I never went very far at that depth, just to test that it would go that deep. Thanks for the info! Maybe someone else has had the same experience.

TT

SeaSlug_U999
07-26-05, 10:54 AM
Yeah, quite anoying, indeed.

With my IXB the tail-chasing happens sometimes even at depths below 175m, whereas the XXI seems more robust, does the trick only below 266.

Btw, what's the max depth the DC can reach? (coded in the game that is).

timetraveller
07-26-05, 12:15 PM
Yeah, quite anoying, indeed.

With my IXB the tail-chasing happens sometimes even at depths below 175m, whereas the XXI seems more robust, does the trick only below 266.

Btw, what's the max depth the DC can reach? (coded in the game that is).

Not sure on the DC. I've never seen a max depth variable in any of the files. I know guys have had reports of DCs going off lower than 200M.

If you want to play some more with other settings, send me an e-mail and I'll set you up with a couple of toys.

timetraveller@bellsouth.net

TT

redstorm101
07-26-05, 01:44 PM

Sad?

If you think I stayed up nights worrying if you will dive deeper than allowed, please know that I have better things to do.

The limits were set up for two reasons:

TT

I like the way you broke that down!!!!....You Rock!! Timetraveller.... :|\..........It's a GREAT mod.................... :know: