PDA

View Full Version : Help With Wind re: Gunnery

justmatt101
07-30-15, 01:36 PM
How do I use the hash marks in the binocular view to compensate for wind?

Is there a bit of math? Ie in tank battles, taking the AFVs known dimension x 1000 / the mils it occupied in your sights = a way to figure range.

If it's just guess work/ gut feeling stuff I'm screwed. I really like the game and want to keep as many options activated as I can.....but man, I suck at this specific point. I've seen posts and read stuff like "divide by 2 for every level of zoom." But what the hell does that mean?

Any rule of thumb like "use this basic formula for guns firing against high wind "...which I'm assuming would be impacted by range?

Any help would be appreciated.

Aktungbby
07-30-15, 04:50 PM
justmatt101!:Kaleun_Salute:

Julhelm
07-30-15, 04:58 PM
When you zoom in to 4x from 2x, the hash marks now represent half of what they were at the lower zoom power. Try shooting the same salvo at different zoom settings and observe the fall of shot.

I personally do not use the wind option since the real ships had compensation for wind built into the firecontrol system.

justmatt101
07-30-15, 05:44 PM
:up:thanks for the reply. Recommend the other settings? I'm putting withdraw at >25,000, do you think reduced visibility? To be more realistic in visual spitting distance?

justmatt101
07-30-15, 05:45 PM
The smilies crack me up:salute:

Jimbuna
07-31-15, 05:16 AM
Welcome to SubSim justmatt101 :sunny: