PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at a mission for SH4

Bill Nichols
04-17-07, 06:50 AM
After creating scores of missions for the nuke sub drivers, I'm now going to give SH4 a try.

My first mission is "Tang Rings the Bell", covering Dick O'Kane's third war patrol in USS Tang. The mission objective is simple: sink more tonnage than O'Kane did (39,600 tons).

As this is really more of a 'patrol' mission than a 'quick' mission, I could use some help with the editor. Specifically, how do I create and remove those little 'patrol stars' that show where one is supposed to go? (I have three locations in the East China Sea / Yellow Sea that I want to activate 'in sequence' corresponding to Tang's patrol areas.)

If someone knows the answer to this, I'll be a happy dolphin!

:arrgh!:

Binky1st
04-17-07, 10:10 AM
Take a look at the Single Patrol missions in the editor to see how most the patrols are done, I actually made a test mission recently to try out the patrol zones myself in the way you describe so if you would like the mission to get some idea how it is done pm me with your email address and Il send it to you :)

Bill Nichols
04-17-07, 10:23 AM
Thanks. Check your PM.

-Bill

Egan
04-17-07, 12:30 PM
I'm still working through the various options for the objectives side of the game. I will post my findings once i'm either reasonably happy i know what each do (and whether they work,) or if I'm totally confused.:p

Bill. One little hint is that if you set an objective as 'Hidden Primary', it won't be visable either on the map or the captains orders until it is triggered.

I've had a few probs getting some things to work, So it'll be interesting to see what everones findings are.

Bill Nichols
04-17-07, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Binky1st. Worked like a champ.

My new mission (actually a War Patrol) can be downloaded in a separate post.

Egan - Looking forward to hearing about what you are learning. Keep us posted, please!

:cool:

Binky1st
04-18-07, 02:31 PM
Always glad to Help :D

FAdmiral
04-18-07, 08:52 PM
You can even make a good single patrol by only creating your sub and
a "sink tonnage" objective. The game layers will supply all the AI needed to
give you a run for your money...

JIM

Bill Nichols
04-18-07, 09:42 PM
True. Although, in my scenario I wanted a specific Japanese convoy to appear, as described in O'Kane's patrol report.