PDA

View Full Version : Photo Recon-Min Photo Value Threshold

eweber
05-02-07, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know what Min Photo Value Threshold in the photo recon objective means?

I'm making a set of Aleutian Campaign missions and have not been able to get the Photo Recon Objective completed no matter how many locked-on pics i take of enemy ships...

I guessing Min Photo Value Threshold is the min number of pics one has to take.

Peeked at the packaged "SM06 Photo Recon" mission which had it set to 0... hmmmm...

:doh: ew

Egan
05-03-07, 01:19 PM
it is how manay photographs you have to take in order to complete the objective, as far as I know. The Lifeguard duty objectives works in a similar way, EG: you can set a minimum that need to be rescued.

I've not had any problems getting it to fire. Setting it to zero though is a bit weird as I'm sure the game flags the objective as complete as soon as you reach your min number. I wonder why they did that? A typo perhaps.

mcoca
05-04-07, 11:02 AM
This is speculation, but based on the "Photo Bismarck Sea" mission, I assume setting it means ships below that value don't count towards the objective. I.e. if the mission says "photograph enemy carrier group", you can't complete the mission by taking a hundred photos of sampans.

Egan
05-04-07, 02:21 PM
There is actually no reference in the objective structure to specific ships but if that is indeed how the Min threshold works then it makes sense. I think I might try a couple of test missions out over the next few days and get some nice emperical data: If you are on the right track there, Mcoca, I wonder whether '0' is a flag for merchants and '1' for warships ot whether it is further broken down. :hmm:

To be honest I just considered the wording of the briefing to be flavour only as it tends to be with other ob types.

mcoca
05-04-07, 04:23 PM
I'm taking the Bismark Sea mission in the campaign as a reference here. It has "Photo Value" of 60, and a "Min photo value threshold" of 50. So it's not just a binary flag of merchant/warship, and if it was a more specific type, I would expect it to follow the ship type codes.

I actually think that means you need a photos for a total value of 60 to complete the mission, and each photo needs to have at least a value of 50. I don't know what the number means, though. Maybe a function of the reknown gained for sinking a ship, or tonnage?

Egan
05-04-07, 05:42 PM
After looking at the names.cfg I'm not sure it's the type it's looking for, warships are all very low numbers and merchents start at 100, so i don't think it's as simple as taking the type numbers. It's possible (probably likely,) that , as you say, it's working on renown or something similar. Could even be another variable in one of the ship files.

mcoca
05-05-07, 06:32 AM
I've tested my theory. I set up a mission with a variety of docked ships (one merchant, and one of each type of warship), and set a photo recon objective. I set the photo value at 60, and made two tests, taking photos starting with the merchant and working my way up from subchaser to battleship:

With min. threshold of 30: I could take photos of everything, but none was saved (i.e the picture was not available from the objective notebook) until I reached the heavy cruiser. Both the heavy cruiser and the carrier were saved to the notebook, and the mission was completed.
With min. threshold of 0: All photos were saved, and the objective was complete once I had photos of merchant, subhunter, destroyer and light cruiser.I think this more or less proves my theory. Someone with more patience than I have can try and determine the formula for photo value. I suspect it's 10% of the renown awarded (the light cruiser had 235 and the heavy cruiser 500, so it makes sense).

eweber
05-05-07, 09:51 PM
Thx everyone!

I also did some tests and it appears there's a values formula out there somewhere for ship types and worth. Looks like it's goning to be hit or miss for awhile...:hmm:

-ew