PDA

View Full Version : strange air combat behaviour

Hawk66
03-05-07, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I've setup a demo mission to try out the behaviour during air combat:

I've created a F14 against a Su27, separated ~100nm. When they detect each other via radar they launch a lot of missiles against each other, even if they are far out of range. I've even saw a missile, which turned back and disappeared!

I know, that DW is not an air combat simulator, but this behaviour is a little too weird!

Is this a known bug in the engine and can't be modded etc? I'm using the last LWAMI version.

Molon Labe
03-05-07, 04:41 PM
Is this a known bug in the engine [?]
Yes.

and can't be modded etc?
Yes.

ASWnut101
03-05-07, 05:12 PM
Can't be modded as in it cannot be modded or it can be modded?

LuftWolf
03-05-07, 07:19 PM
Cannot be modded.

Attack behavior for aircraft and ships is fixed in the engine.

Cheers,
David

Molon Labe
03-05-07, 07:55 PM
Can't be modded as in it cannot be modded or it can be modded?

Can't = cannot.
Can't does not = can.
:roll:

ASWnut101
03-05-07, 09:52 PM
Just a grammar check.

SeaQueen
03-05-07, 11:05 PM
My biggest gripes with the sim have to do with it's handling of aircraft. It's all screwed up at this point.

Hi,

I've setup a demo mission to try out the behaviour during air combat:

I've created a F14 against a Su27, separated ~100nm. When they detect each other via radar they launch a lot of missiles against each other, even if they are far out of range. I've even saw a missile, which turned back and disappeared!

I know, that DW is not an air combat simulator, but this behaviour is a little too weird!

Is this a known bug in the engine and can't be modded etc? I'm using the last LWAMI version.

Hawk66
03-06-07, 01:39 PM
Ok, I just wonder, why this problem then wasn't addressed in the latest patch, but perhaps there will be a future one....

But at least there is some 'kind' of air battle :lol: available and that's all what I need.

SeaQueen
03-07-07, 06:57 AM
Ok, I just wonder, why this problem then wasn't addressed in the latest patch, but perhaps there will be a future one....

But at least there is some 'kind' of air battle :lol: available and that's all what I need.

Maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath. My opinion is that DW is really quite limited as a naval simulation. It's great for ASW, and pretty good for certain types of surface warfare. In that sense, I think it's probably one of the most fun simulations for fighting small boat swarms although small arms are under credited, I think. Once combat aircraft gets involved, though, things become very strange. The aircraft just aren't very smart, and do things like fly into mountains, stall out and what not. I'm not sure if I'm the only person who notices it because I tend to play longer scenarios than most people, though.

Hawk66
03-08-07, 02:41 PM
additional question: EW (jamming) is not modelled in DW, is it?
Just wondering, because the prowler is available....:hmm:

LuftWolf
03-08-07, 02:45 PM
SCS specifically took it out of DW.

There are traces of it all over the database, but the majority has been simply cut out and there is no EW function in the engine at all.

Cheers,
David

Wolfhound
01-05-08, 01:17 AM
I tried this out in a mission I was designing once in SC, which I ported to DW. In SC. The planes did really weird stuff like flew up to such an altitute that they would be in orbit if the game allowed such and "flew" down to "altitudes" of like -170k ft. without being officially destroyed.