PDA

View Full Version : future modding of SH4

bwchaney
03-04-07, 09:21 AM
I know this is premature but since I have no programming skills are the fantastic modders of SH3 going to become as interested in buying, playing and modding SH4? I think that all the modders are fantastic people to give up their time and energy to make all the good games better. I would not have stuck with SH3 without all the fantastice mods made by the community. So I guess my question is to Grey Wolves and everyone else; will you do a bangup job of making SH4 as good as SH3. Thanks in advance BwChaney:o

JSF
03-04-07, 09:34 AM
I know this is premature but since I have no programming skills are the fantastic modders of SH3 going to become as interested in buying, playing and modding SH4? I think that all the modders are fantastic people to give up their time and energy to make all the good games better. I would not have stuck with SH3 without all the fantastice mods made by the community. So I guess my question is to Grey Wolves and everyone else; will you do a bangup job of making SH4 as good as SH3. Thanks in advance BwChaney:o

They won't be able to help themselves....With some of the talent in this forum...they will have this game dissected sooooo fast you'll wonder how they had time for anything else in thier lives.

stabiz
03-04-07, 10:07 AM
We wont have all the Grey Wolves, it seems, but some.

Safe-Keeper
03-04-07, 12:14 PM
I really want to start a Norwegian Operations 2 mod. But then there'd first have to be some Atlantic Theatre mod for me to build upon, and it might mean discarding all my work so far on Norwegian Operations, in which case I'll be far more reluctant. We'll see.

Gildor
03-04-07, 01:33 PM
Could U-boats be added as a unit and North Atlantic Ops be modded?

Sailor Steve
03-04-07, 03:28 PM
I thought SH3 would bring back all the wonderful guys who modded SH2 so well. Didn't happen. Instead, we got a whole oceanfull of new guys who were great. Maybe SH4 will bring most of them back, maybe we'll see talented folks we've never seen before who'll get the job done. Probably some of both.

Boris
03-04-07, 05:56 PM
Kpt. Lehmann has already unofficially said he won't be leading an SH4 modding effort equivalent to GWX, and I think one or two other members of the team are less than enthusiastic about the Pacific theatre.

But I'll certainly be doing something, and least a few other grey wolves may start modding for SH4. There's nothing to be worried about in terms of modders willing to mod SH4. No doubt things will start off with small mods again, which will form the building blocks for the first supermods.

ReallyDedPoet
03-04-07, 10:06 PM
Kpt. Lehmann has already unofficially said he won't be leading an SH4 modding effort equivalent to GWX, and I think one or two other members of the team are less than enthusiastic about the Pacific theatre.

But I'll certainly be doing something, and least a few other grey wolves may start modding for SH4. There's nothing to be worried about in terms of modders willing to mod SH4. No doubt things will start off with small mods again, which will form the building blocks for the first supermods.
Yeah it was interesting to watch SH3 develop from the small to the large super-mods. Sure SH4 will be the same I'm sure. I still plan to keep SH3 handy and will continue to play it.

hocking
03-04-07, 10:07 PM
I myself am not too thrilled about the Pacific Theater of operations. I am definitely interested in SH4 due to all of its new feature upgrades, but I wish it was going to be another Atlantic/UBoats sub-sim.

I am really really really hoping a group of modders are able to mod this game back into a U-Boat sim. That would be excellent.

stabiz
03-04-07, 11:22 PM
Ditto!

My dream is a VIIC with SHIV graphics.

sgt.weasle
03-05-07, 12:31 AM
fully patrolable world. US, British,German, and Japanese subs from 39 to 45. thats what im waiting for after SHIV.

Crosseye76
03-05-07, 02:59 AM
You are right on track there Sgt. The whole world, 39-45.

Boris
03-05-07, 03:02 AM
Would be really awesome, but we'll have to see just how moddable SH4 will be. If it's going to be anything like SH3, then it'll be a no go'er. :-?

Ducimus
03-05-07, 03:06 AM
Mods in general i think are born from a few things:

1.) Something thats broken and a modder tries to fix it.

2.) Something is annoying, and a modder tries to make it less annoying.

3.) Something is historically incorrect, and it bugs someone enough to try and change it.

4.) Something isn't "realistic" enough to someones perception/interrpretation of the word, and they try to "fix" it.

But despite all that, i think what develops in terms of mods for SHIV is entirely dependant on its final patch, and the state of the game after said patch.

In terms of supermods, i personnaly really do not want a repeat of what went on behind the scenes in SH3's modding community. yes some decent stuff came out of it, but the drama at times was just too much. Certain attitudes and/or persona's should, i feel, leave the "baggage" behind in SH3 where it belongs before checking into the SH4 modding motel.

Boris
03-05-07, 06:46 AM
It would be great if modders could work as a community again for SH4, working towards supermods together in an open forum, with no secrets to hide and petty crediting squabbles.

ReallyDedPoet
03-05-07, 08:48 AM

3.) Something is historically incorrect, and it bugs someone enough to try and change it.

4.) Something isn't "realistic" enough to someones perception/interrpretation of the word, and they try to "fix" it.

But despite all that, i think what develops in terms of mods for SHIV is entirely dependant on its final patch, and the state of the game after said patch.

In terms of supermods, i personnaly really do not want a repeat of what went on behind the scenes in SH3's modding community. yes some decent stuff came out of it, but the drama at times was just too much. Certain attitudes and/or persona's should, i feel, leave the "baggage" behind in SH3 where it belongs before checking into the SH4 modding motel.

Well put as always Ducimus:up:

Uber Gruber
03-05-07, 08:52 AM

Couldn't put it better myself.....could this be the dawn of sanity ? I bloody well hope so, the in-fighting in the SH3 mod community was really petty and, well, should never have got out of the school playground.

nvdrifter
03-05-07, 10:21 AM

You mean you didn't enjoy the SH3 modder wars on this board? :rotfl:

Ducimus
03-05-07, 01:21 PM
You mean you didn't enjoy the SH3 modder wars on this board? :rotfl:

Like a trip to the dentist man.. like a trip to the dentist.

JScones
03-06-07, 05:44 AM
It would be great if modders could work as a community again for SH4, working towards supermods together in an open forum, with no secrets to hide and petty crediting squabbles.
Kinda like the early SH3 days. Ahhhh, the memories...

Well, I've decided that for SH4 I will be a mod user only, with any modding or app development I do being solely for own use. But for me, the 2006 War of the Mods was nothing compared to the increase in players who contribute to the community nothing but negative criticism on everything.

No great loss though. I'm just gonna become a player that does nothing but criticise the hard work of others. :up: :rotfl:

(that last sentence *is* a joke)

Paajtor
03-06-07, 04:04 PM
... for me, the 2006 War of the Mods was nothing compared to the increase in players who contribute to the community nothing but negative criticism on everything...
It's quite sad, to see the bitterness in your post, JS.

You talk about a mod-war, but it must have been during my big break from SH3, because I have no memories of it...and I certainly won't go digging in old topics, to find out about it, because I think I know what to expect.
Back then, I stopped playing while using IUB1.02 (this was in Nov/Dec.'05), and returned to this sim in late Autumn '06, still on IUB1.02, and waiting for the release of GWX that I just found out about.

But ever since I became a member of SubSim, I always enjoyed this great place, and again I don't have the impression that there is an increase in players who contribute to the community nothing but negative criticism on everything...
Every new member gets a warm welcome.
Every old member returning to the board, gets a refreshing welcome.
I can remember only 1 topic from the last months, which I found disturbing (nope, won't post the link), and I forced myself not to post in it.
Everyone's glad to share stories, tips and tricks.
Female players are threated with respect as well.
Visiting this board is almost as exciting as playing SH3 itself...after reading a couple of adventures here, I always feel the need to take my type7C out for hunting.
I can honestly say, that SubSim is the nicest forum that I ever subscribed to (and I've been on allot).

SH4 feels like a fresh start for me...I know next to nothing about the Pacific sub-war...all my knowledge about the NA Uboat-war came from when I bought SH3...and I am really excited, that my big interest in WW2 will get new input, from SH4.

JScones, I admire the work that you did for the SH3-community...as many others, I can't live without your 2 biggest additions (JSGME and SH3C), and I'm really disappointed that your bitterness keeps you from wanting to continue them - allthough I expect JSGME to work with SH4 as well.
But to some degree, I understand your frustrations.
Allthough...if you decide to step back like you said...will you be able to enjoy SH4 the way you would want to?
Suppose those frustrations and bad memories fade over time?
Life goes on, people come and people go.
But the SH-series is here to stay.
Focus on negative things makes one blind for the positives.

Please consider a break from "modding and tooling" for as long as you wish to...but please also consider a return, with fresh enthousiasm, and a nose forward in the wind.
Then I'm sure you will feel at home again, just like you used to feel.

Regards,

P.

hocking
03-06-07, 04:30 PM
JScones, I sure do wish you would release an SH4 Commander. Your mod was great, and it would be a great loss if you didn't introduce a SH4 Commander to the community. I can't say that I don't blame you, but I just wish you would continue to create your great mods.

I hope I was never critical of any mods that were released for SH3. Maybe we should all think back about some of the things we may have criticized as far as SH3 Mods are concerned. These guys don't get paid for all the hard work they do, but we sure do benefit from all their hard work.

I sure do hate to lose a great modder like JScones. It is a loss for everybody in this community.

Jimbuna
03-10-07, 11:23 AM
JScones, I sure do wish you would release an SH4 Commander. Your mod was great, and it would be a great loss if you didn't introduce a SH4 Commander to the community. I can't say that I don't blame you, but I just wish you would continue to create your great mods.

I hope I was never critical of any mods that were released for SH3. Maybe we should all think back about some of the things we may have criticized as far as SH3 Mods are concerned. These guys don't get paid for all the hard work they do, but we sure do benefit from all their hard work.

I sure do hate to lose a great modder like JScones. It is a loss for everybody in this community.

It's a sad fact of life that some people take whats given to them for granted at times. Looking back over the past 12/18 months I suppose many honest and rational people who visit these forums might well ask themselves "was all of the negativity over ar SS really warranted ?...could I have done more to be conciliatory ?" :hmm:
I'll certainly be reflecting on a few things if we lose some of these giants of the modding community and end up with a SH4 similar to how SH3 was at its time of release :yep:

geetrue
03-11-07, 12:06 AM

A mod is an adjustment then ... what is a custom job?
Like a whole new compartment left out of the original?