Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-19, 04:14 AM   #1
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Icon9 U-556 Certificate of Sponsorship

It is May 1941 in my career and I am in the med. Radio messages have been coming in regards the Bismarck and U-556 has been requested to pick up the Bismarck war diaries.

So out of curiosity, I left the game and went to learn about U-556 and the Bismarck. Quite sad really. How frustrating to be unable to assist because you have no torpedoes left.

00:00, (wind) north-west 5, seaway 5, rain squalls, moderate visibility, very dark night. Surfaced. What can I do for Bismarck? I can see star shells being fired and flashes from Bismarck's guns. It is a terrible feeling to be near and not to be able to do anything. All I can do is reconnoitre and lead in boats that have torpedoes. I am keeping contact at the limit of visibility, reporting the position, and sending directional signals to call up the other boats.
03:52: I am moving around on the east side to the south, in order to be in the direction of the activity. I soon reach the limit of what I can do in view of my fuel supply. Otherwise I won't get home.
04:00: The seas are rising ever higher. Bismarck still fighting. Reported weather for the Luftwaffe.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 05:36 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Historical missions are simulated in SH5 with the campaign Open Horizons II or TWoS. So if you go there at the right time you will encounter these battleships, yes.
But the battle result may be unpredictable, e.g. the Bismarck could even sink his aggressors, but that would not change the outcome of the ship or the war

I let you find out, and have fun...

In my mod that will soon come out (Xenon's Modlist), even when you have no torpedos left, it will still be worth to go there to support other subs or lead airplanes into the battle by sending radio reports. This feature is not fully present in WoS (AI subs yes, but no air support).
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 06:01 AM   #3
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Historical missions are simulated in SH5 with the campaign Open Horizons II or TWoS. So if you go there at the right time you will encounter these battleships, yes.
But the battle result may be unpredictable, e.g. the Bismarck could even sink his aggressors, but that would not change the outcome of the ship or the war
Thanks. I will remember this for next play through. If I had thought about the above I would have not selected the med campaign.
Look forward to your mod.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 09:15 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

dylanschaw!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 04:08 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > dylanschaw
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote