SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-10, 12:12 AM   #1
timmy41
Weps

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Sinking the HMS Howe, an AAR.

VII-C U-48
Set out from Bergen, 11th flotilla, for my 37th patrol on April 7th 1943.
My goal was to patrol the route to Murmansk and sink as many 5000+ ton ships as possible. So I set a route around the north side of Lerwick to start off patrolling 200 kilometers north of Scapa flow and head to Murmansk from there.
April 10th, 0908, AE9695, I pic up RADAR signatures from the NE and set course to observe. From a visual I was able to confirm it was a task force consisting of 6 or so destroyers, 3 cruisers, and 1 battleship. The task force was traveling at 15 knots, almost my top speed, but with some quick math and knowledge of the route that they were very likely to take due to previous experience (from sinking the Rodney on the same task force route in '40) I thought I should be able to get ahead of them. I plotted their likely course, and then plotted mine. I thought they should turn east from their course of 144 degrees about 200 kilometers north of Scapa flow just as the Rodney had. I maintained radar signature contact until my race to get ahead of them at the very end.
At 1900 I had gotten into position, and the ships came over the horizon. I prepped the Mk. IIIe7 Torpedoes for magnetic pistol, 1.2 degree spread, 10 meter depth, expected contact at 4500 meters. The Weather was clear, about 7mps wind, and I was hoping that this would be calm enough for the magnetic torpedoes to get to target without detonating early.
At 1911 or so, the Howe came in to sight my sights, Gyroscope at 0, and I flipped the switch to fir the salvo. I hit it to 2 knots and begin my exit while diving.
At 1915, 1 torpedo pre-detonated, 2 hit, and one missed. She immediately started sinking, much to my surprise. Seconds before hand I had launched a decoy and hit it to all ahead flank for a good burst of distance while the decoy was making noise.
I dove to 150 meters, but after a bit I ran into a raised portion of the seabed, and had to go back to 120 meters. Repairs only took a minute.
By 1940, the Howe was fully under water, and the destroyers still had not done any accurate depth charge runs.
By 2100 I had escaped and made my run for Bergen, not wanting to risk ruining such luck by intercepting more ships this late in the war!
Hope you enjoyed reading! Pictures will be added below in 20 minutes or so once theyre done uploading!
timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 12:26 AM   #2
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101

Great job, and in 1943! I've only come across a task force once, and I became obsessed with sinking all three battleships I had to abandon that career.

Can't wait to see the screens.
Old 04-28-10, 12:49 AM   #3
timmy41
Weps

After getting into position, the enemy task force comes into view.

Waiting

Open the tubes!

Targets get closer
Old 04-28-10, 12:51 AM   #4
timmy41
Weps

Coming into my sights

First hit!

Fire in the boiler room!
Old 04-28-10, 12:53 AM   #5
timmy41
Weps

Old 04-28-10, 12:58 AM   #6
timmy41
Weps

Scraped the bottom! OOPS!

Marked my path and the estimated path of the task force, cleaned up all the arbitrary course marks for this picture. I started at mark 39, them at mark 38.

Returning to Bergen

My icon, the Edelweiss
Old 04-28-10, 02:07 AM   #7
YukonJack_AK
Soundman

Downloads: 103

I must say... Well done, sir! I have myself only seen a very few task forces, and only once been able to get into firing position on one of them. They are a tough bird to hunt... Congratulations on your BB!

GWX3.0 - SH3Commander - Thomsen's Sounds Pack - Manos Env Pro - Hitman's Optics - RB's UBoat Flags - Waterstream & Exhaust CombiMOD - Torpedo Damage Final - DiD
AMD Phenom II x6, 16GB DDR3, 2x NVidia GTX460 1GB, WIN7 64bit
YukonJack_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 02:16 AM   #8
timmy41
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack_AK View Post
I must say... Well done, sir! I have myself only seen a very few task forces, and only once been able to get into firing position on one of them. They are a tough bird to hunt... Congratulations on your BB!
Normally they travel at a good 21 knots so its almost always impossible for one to get ahead of them, but for some reason these guys were only going 15. luckily the weather was good and I could pull out ahead!
Old 04-28-10, 11:15 AM   #9
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Great intercept over a long haul!

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote