SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-28-23, 03:52 AM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

In sims like this you often have compromises between realism and gameplay elements that are needed to balance thinbgs, comneosnate for deficits or to implement a challenbge for the player due to real things being not possible to be put into the game. Overlook it and enjoy, I assume the wobble may go in this game the higher the skill level goes up? Thats how it is in both The Hunter titles at least.
Old 11-28-23, 07:21 AM   #47
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

Well, after reading while you guys discussed it I became interested, so I bought it, with all DLC during the autumn sale. I also have tHCotW with all DLC.

So far, so good. I don't see one as better than the other. They're similar, but different. There are things that I like in both. If you could combine the best of both, you'd really have something.

Anyway, I'm glad that I own both, and I'll play each title as I feel moved at the time. They're both good.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 08:00 AM   #48
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

I like them both too, and play both. For me, Way of the Hunter is a better hunting simulation. When the boots are on the ground, when it's just me, my rifle and a whitetail, WOTH is closer to what I want and expect from a hunting game.

I think WOTH has better shooting, ballistics, penetration modeling. The animal animations and behavior are more convincing. Weapons and especially scopes are better. The vastly increased draw distance makes the world feel more real.

Call of the Wild on the other hand is more fun to play for me. More gaming hooks, like missions, challenges and achievements. Hunt Club. A more compelling trophy system with golds, diamonds and great ones. Massively improved scope with more reserves, animal species, weapons and weapon types, ammunition, thermals. It has kit like tents, blinds and decoys.

Call of the Wild is just... easier. Higher pace, more shooting and harvesting, easier to reach a good shooting position.

Stories kinda suck in both games, but WOTH is done like my state government was making ethical hunting instructional material for fourth graders in the 1970s. I fully buy in to the ehtical mojo, in both games. Always the right cartridge, aiming for vitals, never at running animals, and rarely at females. I just don't care to be reminded to do so, so often.

Yeah, I like them both, for different reasons. Picked up Emerald Coast, Tikamoon Plains and the Steyr rifle pack in the autumn sale.
Old 11-28-23, 08:09 AM   #49
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I assume the wobble may go in this game the higher the skill level goes up?

There is a skill to reduce oscillation, but it's absolutely horrible in COTW even with that perk. I shoot rifles and if I held my weapon like it is represented in this game I'd just give up for good. It's like naval gunnery, timing your salvo at the trough of the swell. But I've gotten used to it. I am obsessed by my shooting percentage, which the game tracks for all weapon classes. I want every shot to count, and be well-placed. I've taken about 820 shots in my COTW 'career' and maintain a percentage of 90%. Considering how much sway there is that's not bad at all.