SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-06, 09:23 PM   #1
SubConscious
Frogman

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default U-Boat War Documentary Available!

I've been looking for this documentary for a long time. I saw it years ago on TV - it was a three or four part series and was the best documentary on the U-Boat war that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, the DVD hasn't been available for some time. There is another documentary by the same name, but it has about a third of the running time of this one (run time 156 minutes). It even has interviews with Topp, Kretschmer, and Werner.

I just found it available through Closeout Video, via Amazon.com for the grand price of $15. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...430425?ie=UTF8
SubConscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 10:50 AM   #2
SubConscious
Frogman

Well, poop. Sorry, but this DVD is no longer available. Apparently they sold out pretty quickly. I checked Closeout Video and they didn't have any either.
Old 08-31-06, 03:45 PM   #3
Hellcat
Ensign

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubConscious
Well, poop. Sorry, but this DVD is no longer available. Apparently they sold out pretty quickly. I checked Closeout Video and they didn't have any either.
That's too bad for $15 I was ready to dive right in and buy a copy, it'll be back if there is a demand...

Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 03:50 PM   #4
SubConscious
Frogman

Just a FYI: Amazon had this DVD again today. Only one copy, from the same merchant (Closeout Video), listed as "New", but the price was $3.90! Someone else nabbed it as I was about to buy it for a friend of mine.

Something is fishy though. I paid $15 for this DVD. Why would it be $3.90 a week later?
Old 09-02-06, 04:47 PM   #5
Hellcat
Ensign

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubConscious
Just a FYI: Amazon had this DVD again today. Only one copy, from the same merchant (Closeout Video), listed as "New", but the price was $3.90! Someone else nabbed it as I was about to buy it for a friend of mine.

Something is fishy though. I paid $15 for this DVD. Why would it be $3.90 a week later?
like most things it's worth what the seller is willing to take

I've bought books at 1/6th retail in "new" condition and have never questioned the seller's price :p

Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 01:22 PM   #6
SubConscious
Frogman

I just finished watching this documentary last night. It was well worth the money.

The documentary is divided into three 50-minute episodes: "Sea Wolves", which covers the years up to Pearl Harbor; "Attack America", which is pretty self-explanatory; and "Iron Coffins", detailing the demise of the U-Boats.

The documentary has several good interviews with U-Boat crew and commanders, including Otto Kretschmer, Erich Topp, and Reinhardt Hardegen. There are also interviews with historians such as Michael Gannon (author of Operation Drumbeat), Michael Hadley, Timothy Mulligan, and Correli Barnett.

The only complaints I have about this film is that they didn't put the interviewee's name in a caption more than once. I found this bothersome when they would have the same person on later in the film and there wasn't any identification of who was talking. This is a only a minor annoyance. The other thing I didn't care for was their re-using of the same footage for explosions and sinkings. To me, it is journalistic laziness to do this, but I'm obviously a picky S.O.B.

Overall, I highly recommend this documentary.
Old 09-08-06, 01:37 PM   #7
Frenssen
Sparky

Downloads: 0

A great documentary with very openhearted interviewes. Especially Erich Topp`s honesty made an impression on me. My respect for him and Herbert Werner grew immensely after watching the series.

Last edited by Frenssen; 09-08-06 at 01:39 PM.
Frenssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 03:27 PM   #8
Bungo_Pete
Medic

Downloads: 14

anyone seen this one? is it any good?.Sounds good historical video is always worth it to me.http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6873352
Bungo_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:55 PM   #9
SubConscious
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo_Pete
anyone seen this one? is it any good?.Sounds good historical video is always worth it to me.http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6873352
I haven't viewed it, but I've been tempted. There are three in the series: 1939-1941, 1942-1943, and 1943-1945. www.newegg.com has all three.

Hopefully someone will post a review if they decide to take the plunge.
Old 09-29-06, 12:43 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo_Pete
I own it and it is good!!! Lots of early war footage.
Old 09-29-06, 12:44 AM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I really need to list all of my submarine archives...Nikimcbee's Naval research library