SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-11, 08:32 AM   #61
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I'll shut up then and just crawl back into my corner
Don't do that, I'm sure I'll be on here in a couple weeks begging for help. From anybody. Even you.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:11 AM   #62
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Looks nice, but not currently available in the US according to the site.
Upps

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:13 AM   #63
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasan View Post
Upps
No probs.
Old 08-09-11, 07:04 PM   #64
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

So I just started to unpack everything again to make sure I have everything I think I have, and I decide to pull the mobo out of its fancy antistatic bag or whatever the hell it's wrapped in. And one corner of it is just slightly bent and I think cracked right over the screw hole. It must've been boxed that way because IIRC the retail box was sealed and all the packaging was in great condition when I got it, including the bigger box that the retail box shipped in, which is why it didn't occur to me to go over every inch of the contents when I first received it. Stupid stupid stupid.

Of course it's now too late to return it to the retailer, so I'll have to deal with Asus. Started the procedure online but I've heard horror stories about stuff like this, not about Asus in particular but just in general.
Old 08-10-11, 08:46 AM   #65
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Let's hope you get a new one, maybe as a gesture of goodwill.

If not, take a look at the backside. Have a look at the lanes there:

If they are intact and if it is an edge only and a screw hole, it might still work properly.

It's a shame. A really nice board you got there; we are paying around 100 EURO for them.

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
Old 08-10-11, 10:08 AM   #66
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Let's hope you get a new one, maybe as a gesture of goodwill.

If not, take a look at the backside. Have a look at the lanes there:

If they are intact and if it is an edge only and a screw hole, it might still work properly.

It's a shame. A really nice board you got there; we are paying around 100 EURO for them.
The other question is whether or not it will still affix properly to the chassis with the corner bent back, I don't know if the spacers will raise it up off the panel enough to that all four corners can still be screwed down all the way.

Anyway I'm sure Asus isn't just going to replace it, they will want it sent back for "repair" and that would end up costing more than just buying another board if this one won't work. Plus take longer.

EDIT: so, assuming, the backside of the thing looks okay, what's the bare minimum of stuff I need to get hooked up to make sure it works? PSU, obviously, which I still have to order, and I guess the cables from the front panel power button and stuff... but other than that?

Last edited by frau kaleun; 08-10-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 06:50 PM   #67
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
To make it power up you will need a CPU in the socket. Don't even have to have the fan, but I wouldn't advise that. Seat the fan anyway, just dont use any thermal paste since its a quick test.

Nothing else should be needed. Mem, graphics, etc will all check during post - but if you get that far then you already know the board is likely ok so they don't need to be in.

Power on, watch for the cpu fan to stay spinning and powered. If it does, don't worry about POST beeps, just run it for a good 60 seconds and keep your eyes and ears open for smoke or odor. If you get that far, you probably are good.

If you are good - don't forget to go back and apply the thermal paste!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 07:52 PM   #68
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Thanks. That reminds me I need to look at the CPU and fan to see if thermal paste is included, well it's not loose in the package or I would've seen it but it may be applied but covered with something that has to be removed? I dunno.

Heard from Asus and as I suspected physical damage isn't covered by the warranty, since they assume the user caused it otherwise it would've been returned to the retailer. And they want $120 to ship it to them for repair and return. Uh, no. I think I'll pass. The same board is for sale new on Amazon for half that, or at least was when I checked last night. I could get a different, newer board for less than that if it had everything I wanted.

Anyway I just got home and will probably be too tired to fool with it tonight. I'll just order the PSU now and then if the "working" parts of the board look okay on closer inspection I'll test it out and then I'll know what to do next.
Old 08-11-11, 12:11 AM   #69
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:

So I just started to unpack everything again to make sure I have everything I think I have, and I decide to pull the mobo out of its fancy antistatic bag or whatever the hell it's wrapped in. And one corner of it is just slightly bent and I think cracked right over the screw hole. It must've been boxed that way because IIRC the retail box was sealed and all the packaging was in great condition when I got it, including the bigger box that the retail box shipped in, which is why it didn't occur to me to go over every inch of the contents when I first received it. Stupid stupid stupid.

Of course it's now too late to return it to the retailer, so I'll have to deal with Asus. Started the procedure online but I've heard horror stories about stuff like this, not about Asus in particular but just in general.
Try to stay calm next time opening up your mobo package, all that excitement can get the better of you.

Have to ask, are you wearing an antistatic wrist strap when handling your hddware - just to be safe.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:23 AM   #70
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Get all your parts together and quit asking all these what if questions. Your going to be so confused you'll be spinning in circles by the time your ready to put this thing toghter.

Btw Not putting the paste on is FOOLISH. Use a quality paste such as" http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2883&CatId=503" and install fan.If the mobo works your not muscling off the fan to put the paste on and risking doing more damage to the mobo.

If the mobo is dead a little rubbing alcohol will cleanup CPU and Fan surfaces. Don't risk burning up your CPU. Don't you have enough problems with the mobo ? You may just get lucky with the mobo.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???

Last edited by FIREWALL; 08-11-11 at 12:57 AM.
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 06:46 AM   #71
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

So... how's the destruction of the World going?

Quote:
Of course it's now too late to return it to the retailer...
But why? Don't you have two years of warrenty? Or is it because you didn't report the problem immidiatly?
Why not try to tell the true story to retailer about your delay then? Could never hurt, and some of them are actually kind folks...

Quote:
...is thermal paste included, well it's not loose in the package....
Normally it comes pre-applied to fan bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Have to ask, are you wearing an antistatic wrist strap when handling your hddware - just to be safe.
Don't listen to this sissy!

Common sense is all we need.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:10 AM   #72
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
So... how's the destruction of the World going?

snip
FK reworking edge and screw hole of the motherboard:

Image stolen here (nice read)

As long as you don't rub a cat for hours, there is no need for all that antistatic stuff. Edit:

Last edited by danasan; 08-11-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 08:27 AM   #73
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

@danasan:

It looks like the bend/crack doesn't extend across any of the lanes on the back of the board, so I'll give it a shot. The first question will be if it can be screwed onto the chassis properly without it cracking more or the bend making it impossible to get it firmly seated.

I ordered the PSU and I should have it tomorrow. I can take a spare monitor/kb/mouse home from work to get started and see what happens with the mobo. The only thing I still want to order new is a kb & mouse, but that can wait. I may need cables to hook up drives if what I've got aren't as long as I'd like, but I won't know that til I get some components in place.

When I'm handling the sensitive hardware I always make sure to touch something else metallic first, I've never had any problems.

@Jan: I waited too long to look hard enough at the board to see the defect, so I'm long past Tiger Direct's return window. That was my mistake so I'm not gonna go back to them and cry about it.

And I do think the paste is already pre-applied to the fan.
Old 08-11-11, 08:40 AM   #74
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Honestly, I would not use the screw hole in question at all. There should be around eight (?) holes more and that should be good enough to mount the motherboard. I would put a piece of rubber underneath that part of the motherboard so it cant bent.

Old 08-11-11, 08:47 AM   #75
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Honestly, I would not use the screw hole in question at all. There should be around eight (?) holes more and that should be good enough to mount the motherboard. I would put a piece of rubber underneath that part of the motherboard so it cant bent.
That's a good idea, thanks. I think it does have nine total. The case came with spacers to use between the board and the panel, I'm sure I can find a little piece of something to stick between the spacer and board that would let the hole just rest over top of it.