SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-14, 11:37 AM   #1
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default German Torpedo Recommendations

The German U-Boats had been at war for a lot longer than the Americans, and the Germans were historically a very technically oriented people, even before the wars. (There's a REASON it's the Gutenberg Bible, not the Mancini Bible!, that the color is called Prussian Blue, even that the best suits of armor were generally from a Germanic maker.)

The array of torpedoes in this game is bewildering to the novice.

I understand that Gas/Steam are longer range and faster but have wakes so are better for night time raids and targets that are already stopped/wounded

I understand that Electrics are shorter range but harder to detect so are better in DAYLIGHT attacks.

OK, great so far but now, we've got torpedoes that offer a Ladder search pattern, passive acoustic tracking torpedoes, Walterturbines, the list goes on...

How's a guy to decide when he doesn't know what his next mission is going to be?

Also, what do you get when you refit elsewhere? Just the standard gas ones,or are others available as refits?

Also, what get's used as a re-load? Does it always try for a forward or backward facing match if I have one in the boat? Or does it just take from the top of the stack?

Has anyone compiled a Guide to U-Boat Torpedoes?
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-14, 07:51 PM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

You vary your loadout. Even modern submarines have a variety of weapons that can be fired from torpedo tubes so the method is to vary your initial loadout. I never use the ladder search fish because there is no way I have seen to set the ladder information like you could with the German ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oes_of_Germany

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 02:02 AM   #3
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Thanks for that link as well!

Thanks for that. Pretty much I've decided to do that. Take a couple of everything and do a shakedown cruise of sorts. I still need to work out the best configuration and to see how the system handles any auto-reloads. Also curious if any of the premiums will available if and when I refit.

I'm tempted to create a Wiki with all these links. Course that would mean less time to play SH4!
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nooby, recommendations, torpedoes