SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-17, 02:01 PM   #1
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

jsgriccia!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:30 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

That was my freshman -> sophmore year of college. Normal college stuff I guess. Pledged to APO (International service co-ed fraternity, based on the Boy scouts), Got engaged (broke up with her a few years later though).

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:32 AM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Grats Neal!

I've called a few places "home" on the net before, but none like this place. While I may not be an avid playing subsimmer right now, I still love the community. That's why, even if I am posting regularly on other forums on various topics, I always try to check in here at least once a day.

Thank you Neal.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 07:43 AM   #4
gmccabe01
Seaman

Downloads: 207

Was a Radar,Radio Tech in the Irish Naval Service.
Got Divorced,
Came back from 6 month U.N. deployment in Lebanon,
Overall had a great year (was 23)

gmccabe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 02:23 PM   #5
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 245

In 1997 i was 17 years old. I was playing command aces of the deep, and was driving my yamaha scooter and listen to hardcore
Old 01-26-17, 02:54 PM   #6
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Icon14

Geez '97 ??

Moved into my third house, I was 42 (depending on the month ) The futrue looked rosy. Had three beautiful kids, another still to follow. Work went haywire.. and the worries set in. Turned to this community many times, (both public and in PM) for straight talk advice and good old fashoined camaradarie. Never been let down, never been failed.

On the good side, had another son, got four beautiful grandkids, one son and daughter in great marriages, one engaged, the last boy.... Well don't think he's ever gonna fly the nest, but hey. You know when some times that one thing just makes your day!

Congrats SUBSIM. Congrats Onkel.

Best regards and salutations.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 02:59 PM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

In 1997 I had been already 25 years impatiently waiting for subsim.com to finally go online. Finally it happened and here I am since then
Old 01-26-17, 03:12 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

1997? Working at a book distributor's warehouse, living in the machine shop where my band rehearsed. My older daughter was in her last year of high school, and I was 47 years old.
Old 01-26-17, 08:09 PM   #9
Xurf
Watch

Downloads: 64

Back in 1997 I was 14, I think I just got my first computer and where I live we had that awesome 56k dial up modem action.

Used to try and muffle the little speaker on it so my parents would not hear me go online at night to chat on ICQ.....thought I was in love everytime a girl laughed at my jokes... listened to grunge music.. a lot.... started surfing.

Congratulations to all for keeping this gem running 20 years!
Xurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:13 PM   #10
White Elf
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7

Just started working full time in a cinema. Contact had just come out. Was still playing 688 attack sub, SH and yes, Das Boot even. We played the movie Das Boot full length version on screen for a special event. Totally forgot about Silent Service sims too.
White Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 08:29 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

White Elf!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 12:19 AM   #12
Lane
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 36
Default Enter your contest. Message from Lane Goodman

Hi Neal ,

Remember me Lane Goodman and Jim Woford? I think you were just starting the forum.
If I remember we tested some of Silent Hunter? I was 80 yrs old just a few weeks ago.
I am retired year 1992 from Naval Weapons center at Crane, In.
I think Jim wolford is retired too.
I had Silent Hunter Loaded a few years ago. Just Lost interest. Right now I fly Flight sims FS9 and am a Beta Test for Dutch Owens for his FSCaptain program. I fly DC3 and DC4 Prop planes and saab 340. aircraft . the Fscaptain web site is www.fscaptain.net
I am sure Sub sims have realy changed . When I had silent Hunter installed I had some good patrols.

Regards

Lane Goodman
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 12:47 AM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Welcome to Subsim White Elf and Xurf

I joined Subsim in 2012, not all that long ago. I had purchased a number of PC games which as of today, have yet to be opened. Silent hunter was one that I did open which led me to Subsim.

I thought I was joining a community of people connected with sub simulations. Instead, I found a community of people from all over the world who brought to the forums their own unique perspectives on the issues of the day. People who also brought their collective intelligence, gifts, experiences and many talents to the table. The discussions here can range from music to politics, cars to computers and software, current events not to mention the every day issues of life. Many others have posted humorous pictures, jokes and anecdotes that gave us all a much needed laugh.

We have all celebrated your achievements and victories that you shared with us and also grieved with you, your various losses. I have learned a great deal by your posts, threads and many discussions.

Happy Birthday to Subsim and Congratulations to Neal on his stewardship. Congratulations as well to the many members who frequently participate in Subsim. All of you help make Subsim the Vibrant community it is.

I hope you all enjoy the next 20 years and beyond.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-27-17 at 12:56 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 01:05 AM   #14
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

The titles that brought me to subsim were Silent Hunter 2 and Sub Command. Played them mostly during weekends at the dorm...
Old 01-27-17, 01:09 AM   #15
Westbroek
Lieutenant

Downloads: 121

First of all,
Congrats SubSim and to you Neal. Amazing achievement, and amazing accomplishment.
Now to business...
1997, whew, boy.
Went into my freshmen year of high school.
Got suspended for telling my English teacher that Tybalt from Romeo and Juliet was an *******.
Got cut from the basketball team and got into theatre, which ended up determining the course of the rest of my life. (I'm a screenwriter now, still determined to sell a realistic account of American fleetboats in WW2, which is hard in this market of Marvel hero blockbuster garbage).
Had my first girlfriend...got dumped by my first girlfriend...
All while still being 4 years away from my first experience with SH2, a life changing experience...
Cheers to you, SubSim. Thank you for being there for all these years.