SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-07, 08:37 PM   #1
jrcole
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default what am i doing wrong? (N Atlantic Convoy mission)

I keep getting killed by the
Air launched antiship missiles. I start mission, turn on air and surface radar, set my CWIS to Auto. 10 minutes into the mission enemy aircraft fires missiles from the NE. I turn South to make sure the CWIS can fire. I go to left wing view to watch the missiles destroyed, but no, sounds like cwis fires a short burst then 2 missiles destroy my FFG.
Have tried this mission about ten times same result.
What am i doing wrong?
thanks
jrcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:07 PM   #2
Captain Norman
Medic

Downloads: 16

Not sure, thats a relatively simple mission
Old 01-30-07, 09:09 PM   #3
GhOsT55
Loader

Downloads: 0

couple of things do you got the new patch and lawim thing?

besides that the cwis dose not allways pop the missiles.you do have to use the sm-2's.
in stead of watching the missles get destroyed fight from the weps station and aquire each indivisual missile and you can get most of them but a couple my slip through it happens.
my advice is to use a combo of sm-2's and cwis and the 76mm(it dose get them eventully)
Old 01-30-07, 10:55 PM   #4
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Load all your CM launchers with Chaff (you should do this anyway when playing as the FFG, the vast majority of high threat missiles are radar guided) and when you know you are being attacked, you should fire off three of the packets on both sides and turn away from the incoming missiles and back around behind the clouds of chaff, with your CIWS on Full Auto (Auto is generally recommended) firing SM-2's using both your Fire Control Radars.

That's it.

Cheers,
David

PS Oh, and when you come about on the other side of your first chaff cloud, you should fire off the other six packets when you have stablished a course 120-150 degrees off the incoming missiles, so you can engage with your SM-2 and CIWS effectively, and you are clearing the course of your chaff clouds relative to the missiles' path.

Last edited by LuftWolf; 01-31-07 at 12:10 AM.
LuftWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 04:33 AM   #5
Looney11
Watch

Downloads: 14

Think of ship defense as a layered system, like onions (Shrek (tm)).

You want to engage threats at the farthest range possible. In case of the FFG, that means SM-2 first. if they miss, or there are more missiles than the system can handle, switch to the 76mm. Punch out clouds of chaff as described above and make damn sure you reload ASAP.
If that fails, and by this time your SM-2 is firing as well as your 76mm, open up your engagements-arcs of your CIWS to have it engage the missiles.

Remember that the Ciws, especially the phalanx system, is the last-ditch effort of the ship to destroy incoming threats and by no means should it be used as a primary means of defense. It wasn't made for that, it was made to give ships a last fighting chance if all else fails, lessons learned from the falkland wars so to speak.

I haven't played the mission myself yet, but will give it a go later on.
Old 01-31-07, 09:10 AM   #6
Dr.Sid
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

76mm can be fired at missiles ? I mean .. does it hit ? I guess it could with special flak ammo, but with direct hit ?

I say don't forget CMs .. they are effective .. just fire lot of them to both sides. Also change your startup CM-load so first tubes have chaffs in, not flares. Aotocrew will fire first tubes first no matter what they are loaded with. And most missiles are radio guided.

It's also good idea to have helo out, high and if you can, in the direction of incoming threat. Helo can detect (and report) missiles much sooner.
Dr.Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 10:51 AM   #7
Looney11
Watch

Well, if fitted proximity fuzes they MIGHT score a hit.

Than again, with missiles screaming down on you you might want to have even the cook outside throwing the kitchen sink at the vandals... just in case
Old 02-01-07, 09:36 PM   #8
jrcole
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Thanks for all the tips. I have tried them all but still no go. Get creamed by the TU22s missiles. Every time. I am using patch 1.04 but no LWAMI.
Could you guys with 1.04 try this mission and see if you get different results.
Thanks
jrcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 09:44 PM   #9
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid
76mm can be fired at missiles ? I mean .. does it hit ? I guess it could with special flak ammo, but with direct hit ?
The 76mm is a dual purpose gun. You should be able to use it on air or surface targets. If you watch "show truth" you'll see other ships shooting their guns at incomming missiles. My sense of things is that it's a long shot, but if you save your ship by a long-shot gun hit or a missile shot the end result is a good one. :-)
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 09:57 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid
The 76mm is a dual purpose gun. You should be able to use it on air or surface targets. If you watch "show truth" you'll see other ships shooting their guns at incomming missiles. My sense of things is that it's a long shot, but if you save your ship by a long-shot gun hit or a missile shot the end result is a good one. :-)
In my experience, the gun does not take into consideration the altitude of a contact. I tried shooting at a helo once, and the rounds splashed down in the water underneath it.

Even if there is a slim chance of a hit, why would you want to waste a decent chance of a hit with an SM-2?
Old 02-02-07, 04:19 AM   #11
Dr.Sid
The Old Man

Hm .. I remember shooting helo once too .. with no success. If it can't hit helo, hitting incoming missile would be a miracle. Occupying tracking radar does not give sense.

Other ships use their bigger guns .. but those are AI and AI does pretty everything in different way.
Old 02-02-07, 04:41 AM   #12
Looney11
Watch

My guess is, that at present, the gun fires ordinary "dumb" projectiles. It fires metal slugs like our great-great-great ancestors used on their old wooden ships . With a ballistic trajectory, this makes for hitting a speedy missile neigh impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otobreda_76_mm gives you a look at the oto-breda 76mm naval gun used on a lot of naval vessels.

As you can see, it can carry a meriad of different types of ammo:
- HE
- AP
- Training (lead-slugs)
- Proximity fuses / Timed fuzes / impact fuzes
- Incendiary
- AA

From what I recall from my naval years is that types of fuzes can be switched to match the task at hand. I believe this is done manually and not common practice.

For the 76mm in DW I'd love to see AA / Proximty rounds/fuzes so you can effectively engage airborne targets.

Proximity fuzes -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze
Old 02-02-07, 03:37 PM   #13
GhOsT55
Loader

ot question here.how does a proxy fuze go off? like a magnetic feild or summthig?
Old 02-02-07, 04:07 PM   #14
Dr.Sid
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT55
ot question here.how does a proxy fuze go off? like a magnetic feild or summthig?
Ehm .. that's why there is the link to wikipedia in the post above ..