SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-08, 03:36 PM   #1
negrete
Nub

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Black screen after intro

Hi guys im new in the forum and ill like to explain the problem i have so somebody could help me.

The problem is after instaling the game sh4 and patching it to 1.4 and instaling the expansion. the problem is that after the intro the screen goes full black and the game is still running y can here the bottons and the music but the screen is full black.

If played th sh4 a lot with no problems and i havent instaled any mod only the patch if got vista 64 bits home premiun 4gigs ram a 8800 gtx ultra and a 4 core pentium

If had litle problems with any other games and got all drivers up to date

Im sorry if my english is not the bets im spanish and thx a lot for all the help i can get.
negrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 04:52 PM   #2
tennozan
Sparky

Downloads: 142

Negrete:

It has been a full week of seeing what you are seeing plus full system crashes to boot. When I saw that you have a 8800 GTX Ultra I knew that you may be seeing (or not seeing) some of these things. The web is neck-deep in Nvidia Vista driver issues right now.

Now the good news. After trying virtually everything. I got everything working well by doing this:

Uninstall whatever driver you are using. The culprit is probably the nvlddmkm.sys or something in that ilk. Anyway, you want to reinstall with the newest WQHL drivers you can find. Now, having said that, I am using the 169.44 which, yes, are BETA.
Use a good driver cleaner program that will utterly clean out every trace of the drivers and registry entries, etc. Run this in Safe Mode AFTER uninstalling Nvidia drivers and rebooting. I actually had to run it 2 or 3 times - go figure. Oh and do not have any driver install files in the main drive or it will monkey with what you are doing. Put 'em on a flash drive or something.

Now, while in Safe Mode, install the Nvidia drivers. Reboot and that should do the trick. One more thing. If I set my AA and AF above 2X and 2X, I get problems. I know, I know it's an 8800 Ultra, which should be the King of swing - or was until the new 9800 pound Nvidia gorilla came out. But that's that until a decent driver comes out.

Big lawsuit a brewin too featuring Nvidia & Microsoft in the mix. That may or may not help us get a decent driver soon. I'd love to step up to a 9800 GX2 but I'm a little short of $600 and a bit wary right now of the stability of new drivers.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-08, 05:03 PM   #3
Karbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 75

Set your antialiasing to application controlled in the nvdia control panel. Start your SH4 up and see if you get past the black screen. If that works then go back out and set your antialiasing to what you had, if you get the black screen again change the antialiasing to a different setting and try again. This worked for me.
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 05:14 PM   #4
tennozan
Sparky

Yes, well that would be less extreme if it works. My concern being that this may be a larger issue. But hey, I'm feeling like I just climbed out of a depth charge attack with Nvidia driver issues. So, just consider the source I guess.
Old 04-17-08, 05:33 PM   #5
Karbo
Sailor man

Downloads: 75

LOL Tennozan I know what you mean unfortunately.
Karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 06:53 PM   #6
negrete
Nub

thx a lot guys for the help im gona try all these thing out and see if it works.
Old 04-17-08, 07:02 PM   #7
negrete
Nub

Karbo thx millions the antialising thing worked perfectly y set it to let the 3d aplication configure it and everything correct thx a lot and to all the people that helped me.

Lets begin the hunt

Thx to every one and gratz to the forum very helpfull
Old 04-18-08, 04:10 PM   #8
tennozan
Sparky

Thought you might like to know that the 174.93 Nvidia drivers are available as of today. I've had zero crashes and my game looks frickin amazing. The clarity and overall look is exceptional. The .93s work with 8800 series cards. I am simply delighted with the new drivers. Bout time.
Old 04-19-08, 06:14 PM   #9
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

The newest drivers, 174.93 seem to work wonderfully. Thus far all my problems with 1.5 and explosions and ctd's and nvlddmkm errors, etc, have disappeared completely. I run SH4 1.5 with all graphic options at MAX settings, including Post-Processing ON. 1920X1200 res.

FYI...My rig:
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Dual core E6700 Cpu
2GB OCZ PC2 8800 (1100Mhz) RAM
BFG 8800GTX w/768MB Graphics card
Audigy2 ZS
4 Seagate 400GB hard drives in a 0+1 RAID array
Plextor PX-800A
Samsung SyncMaster 244T 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1200 native resolution
Windows VISTA 32bit
[/FONT]
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 02:51 PM   #10
Seapup
Watch

Downloads: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennozan
Thought you might like to know that the 174.93 Nvidia drivers are available as of today. I've had zero crashes and my game looks frickin amazing. The clarity and overall look is exceptional. The .93s work with 8800 series cards. I am simply delighted with the new drivers. Bout time.
Hi Tennozan,
I thought I'd come back to this thread and thank you and Karbo for solving a problem so big I was ready to give up on SH4 and jump overboard with the black screen problem. Now I find out you've made life even better with info about the new drivers. Wow!!! It doesn't get better than this. My problem was that I was so happy with the new super mods in SH4 that I decided to upgrade my Nvidia 7900GS to an 8800 GT. I played with it for a week and then did a clean install. That's when I got the black screen. For two days nothing I did solved the problem. It's really frustrating to go from a great display to nothing and no clue as to the problem. I did as was suggested and set my graphics card to "let the 3d application configure it" and now I'm back in business. For the record ... the 8800G improved my frame rate from about 18-35 to 40-60+. The AA is now perfect including having zero moire patterns on the deck in aerial view. Also, FYI .. the new driver has improved the frame rates about 10% and the graphics are great. Much appreciated!
Seapup is offline   Reply With Quote