SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-08, 07:28 AM   #31
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

From M. Sarsfield

Run Silent, Run Deep (1958) - This movie redefined the way sub movies were made. Clark Gable plays a very determined and gruff captain and Burt Lancaster is excellent in his role as XO. Very good effects for that era.

Excellent choice!

Favourite line

Clark Gable (Captain) talking to Jack Warden (Yeoman Mueller)

Mueller, do you think I am a damn fool?

Sir?

Mr. Bledsoe (Burt Lancaster as the exec) thinks I am and I have a great respect for his opinions

Love that line
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 04:15 PM   #32
Vortex
Swabbie

Downloads: 41

I was doing some downloading and Google'ing for a list of navy movies, and came up with this topic high in the results. The thread was helpful and I am already a member here, so I thought I would necro it and write a few more entries myself.

- ***1/2 Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. (1951)

w/Gregory Peck. A really well produced major film that I thought captured the original personality of Forrester's Hornblower much better than the modern TV series did.

- *** In Which We Serve (1942)

w/Noel Coward. Most reviewers give this film a higher rating than I do, but I found the shoreside melodramas to be somewhat tiresome. And the British effeteness of Noel Coward with its underlying message of class superiority - as an American - rubbed me the wrong way as well. But overall, a pretty good navy movie.

- ***1/2 Action in the North Atlantic (1943) and *** San Demetrio London (1943)

Both somewhat similar stories of merchant crews going up against the submarine threat in the Atlantic. I give the edge to Bogart and AitNA, but San Demetrio is a good film too. And I bet most Americans have never even heard of it.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:24 AM   #33
Destraex
Watch

Downloads: 0

Das Boot
Sink the Bismark
tora tora tora
midway - pretty horrible though
that new russian film about the captain in ww1 caught up in the revolution. I think it was called Admiral. Great battle scene at the beginning
U571 - the one with john bon jovi in it
Proud - think this was about destroyers
Nihonkai daikaisen - Great Battle of the Japan Sea - A must see for any fleet enthusiasts. This movie gets an A from me like das boot.
Master and commander
hornblower - another A

what I really want is a good flick about ww1 ship or sub combat. Why does everybody think ww1 was so dull?
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 04:06 PM   #34
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Bridges at Toko Ri - William Holden Korean war CV flick.

In Which We Serve - RN Destroyers loosely based on the career of Louis Mountbatten as Captain D.

Under Ten Flags - The highly coloured story of Raider Atlantis.

Ironclad - cheesy TV movie from Ted Turner about the USS Monitor vs, CSS Virginia fight at Hampton Roads in 1862.

The Cruel Sea - Jack Hawkins classic from the book of the same name.
Old 07-23-10, 09:47 PM   #35
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

Ice Station Zebra, Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine, Patrick McGoohan, & Jim Brown.

Below, a fairly recent movie (2002) about a haunted U.S. sub in 1943. Matthew Davis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams.
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 09:23 AM   #36
mako88sb
XO

Here's a few:

"Men of the Fighting Lady" starring Van Johnson during the Korean War
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047230/

"Away All boats" with Jeff Chandler, some pretty intense Kamikaze action and a uncredited role for Clint Eastwood.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048971/

"Damn the Defiant" With Alec Guinness, Dirk Bogarde & Anthony Quayle
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055884/

"The Hunley" With Armand Assante and Donald Sutherland. I rented this "made for TV" movie a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162897/

"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" Can't believe I forgot this classic. Gotta love those B-25's taking off from the Hornet.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037366/

Last edited by mako88sb; 07-27-10 at 10:03 AM.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 12:47 PM   #37
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
"The Hunley" With Armand Assante and Donald Sutherland. I rented this "made for TV" movie a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised.
I didn't like it all that much, but that was for personal and historical reasons. It does do a good job of recreating the period and feel, so it's worth it.

Another Ted Turner production you might like is Ironclads.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102129/

It too has a lot of flaws, but the models are wonderful.
Old 07-27-10, 09:42 AM   #38
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I didn't like it all that much, but that was for personal and historical reasons. It does do a good job of recreating the period and feel, so it's worth it.

Another Ted Turner production you might like is Ironclads.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102129/

It too has a lot of flaws, but the models are wonderful.

Thanks Sailor Steve. I remember seeing Ironclads when it was first aired but must admit that I don't recall too much about it. Not the greatest reviews but still, a interesting battle that I should try to watch again.

Just curious about the historical reasons you refer to for "The Hunley"? Being Canadian, I'm not that familiar with the Civil War but the IMDB site doesn't have the usual bashing about historical accuracy that you see so often.
Old 07-27-10, 09:57 AM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Well, I only saw it once, and that was way back when it first aired. I'm not sure it is as bad as Ironclads (which has a lot of minor technical flaws) in that respect, but both movies are like Midway, in that they waste a lot of time telling fictional love stories that could have been spent filling out the actual story.

That said, my opinion on this is personal, and should be taken that way. And these are the only movies that tell those stories, so I feel they could have been better but are still worth owning for the true fan of the subject.

I know so many cool Civil War naval stories that will never be filmed. Oh well.
Old 07-27-10, 10:17 AM   #40
mako88sb
XO

Okay, I see what your saying. I completely agree about Midway. Would of been much better if they deleted the love story and included the Coral Sea battle footage. I believe I've only seen that footage once on TV. As for "The Hunley", I must admit that I didn't mind the love story aspect probably because it was flashbacks and kind of set the tone for Captain Dixon's state of mind. Lost the love of his life. Not much to live for but determined to take some of the enemy with him when he goes.

You got me curious about Civil War naval battles. I've always been interested in "Age of Sail" battles but haven't really read much about the Ironclad age. I'll have to check it out.
Old 07-27-10, 01:58 PM   #41
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

EVERYBODY POSTING ON THIS PAGE: You really ought to read the whole thread. Most of the movies you are listing have already been mentioned.
Old 07-27-10, 04:22 PM   #42
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Here's a movie I haven't seen listed on this thread: "Torpedo Bay". It stars James Mason as an RN destroyer captain who pursues and damages an Italian sub. The sub captain manages to make it to the neutral port of Tangiers with the destroyer close behind. The authorities in Tangiers will only allow the sub to remain in port for a limited time after which the sub must leave and then become a target of the destroyer. The two captains form a truce and the rest of the film is comprised of the sub captain trying to make surreptitious repair and the destroyer captain trying to block his efforts on orders of British Intelligence. Of course there is a female character to throw in a bit of a love triangle subplot, but mainly it is about the two captains. The ending is a bit of a surprise and is reminiscent of "Enemy Below". I found a copy of this movie in VHS several years ago at a video store that was chucking all its tapes in favor of DVD. I don't believe it is available on DVD, so if anyone has information on a DVD release, it would be appreciated.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 05:34 PM   #43
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

WOW!

I vaguely remember hearing the title, but I've never known anything about it. I could find no evidence of a DVD release either, but it certainly looks interesting.
Old 07-28-10, 08:13 AM   #44
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by destraex View Post
u571 - the one with john bon jovi in it
burn the heretic!!!!!

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 09:26 AM   #45
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162897/
I thought this movie was unwatchable, for probabley the same reasons SS has.

The scene that just killed me was when Vicksburg(?) was being shelled during some Confederate party(?), so what do the town folk do during a bombardment? They naturally sing patriotic confederate songs and dance....

Note to Ted, keep away from Civil War movies, as you ruin them.

Note to Hollywood producers/directors, the Hunley does not equal a deep diving submarine.

I only think I made it half way through that movie before the channel got changed.