SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-09, 06:29 AM   #106
magicsub2
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

eew, gay nightclub, what was bernard doing there??!!!!!!!

this is mind blowing stuff! cant wait for the full version! it looks just like sh4! will ships have shadows too?
Old 02-21-09, 07:48 AM   #107
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

this is gorgeous! im stunned...never recognized the missing shadwos...but now, i will miss them everytime i play the game...i didnt read the whole 6 pages...is there a beta?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 08:08 AM   #108
LordNeuro"Serbia"
Chief

Downloads: 45
Default Just gr8

U r making wery good job. Thx too all envolved in thise project. Thise is just gr8. I hope u will make all work as u pland. Keep up the fantastic job.
Sorry for noth being of more help, but i dont even know how too tray a demo mission , not too talk about same twiking and ather stuff.
And 1 more qvestion abouth the eagle and u flags RB, any chance u work somthing on theat.
The eagle i m talking about is thise on pic
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u101/vonswe/NY1.jpg
It would be graet too have it with u flags.
Old 02-21-09, 08:53 AM   #109
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awful Smutje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRT-WHUFC
Just wondering if there was any news on the progress of the shadows?

thanks
Rick
Privateer had a major system failure which meant complete reinstall
I sympathise with him ...
One month ago i too have casually removed my folder "..\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005" both all my projects and executed codes by theme SH 3...4 "накрылись медным тазом" (russian slang) ...
I don't know, if there is something like this for Vista, but you can use Microsoft's "TweakUI" of the "Powertoys for Windows XP" to move your "My Documents" folder to another partition. After a system crash and reinstall of Windows, just reinstall powertoys and change the "My Documents" folder to the directory on the other partition. This saved many hairs on my head...
Thanks for tip, Awful Smutje ...
But i do it (always) ... but by Windows feature ...
... i have q:\My Documents\ ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 09:17 AM   #110
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerboy
Anvart,

What you are referring to is 'god complex' or 'the peter principle'. I work with those kind of people day after day and they piss me off to no end. I either try to constantly put them in their place or make their life a living hell.
Yes, there is a certain recognition and personal pride that comes with being the first to discover something. But when you let that go to your head then you have issues.
I made a discovery, I shared it with everyone in hopes someone will see something I've missed or overlooked. I'd get more pleasure seeing a discovery grow and being used by others than just trying to figure it out myself. So Anvart anything you can find on this please share. This would bring much more immersion to the game. And who knows, maybe we can find a way to cast shadows onto the water......wouldn't that be cool?
Again you speak not about that (not in a theme) ...
You not the God (god complex) that on bad English to define who i and that i,
and the more so to understand other people ...
and do not mix business and a hobby ...
Do not represent the philanthropist from itself ...
it's usual requirement for attention ... self-affirmation among people at forum ...
All people different and that that you speak this your opinion ...

P.S.
and "interception" of threads at authors ... it's (mildly saying) not beautiful ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 02-22-09 at 06:26 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 09:29 AM   #111
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Little green men have taken control of my UBoat

I did find what controls the lighting of the crew so it's a step in the right direction...
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 09:33 AM   #112
kenijaru
Weps

Downloads: 0

^ dear god... you can see through their heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and they have lovely shade of "radioactive green".
That wouldn't be a photo of U-235 would it? (get the joke? get it?... i cooked my brains coming up with it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
Again you speak not about that (not in a theme) ...
You not the God (god complex ) that on bad English to define who i and that i
and the more so to understand other people ...
and do not mix business and a hobby ...
Do not represent the philanthropist from itself ...
All people different and that that you speak this your opinion ...

I didn't completely understood what you said....
*but*, i can tell you that the quest for personal glory rather than common welfare (or in this case... shadows) has more than once avoided an enterprise to be concluded with the degree of success it *could* have achieved if there was more of "us" and less of "I".
so this (<- that's a crown right?) is not cool, specially on an open community like this one.

Ken.
kenijaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 09:37 AM   #113
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenijaru
*but*, i can tell you that the quest for personal glory rather than common welfare (or in this case... shadows) has more than once avoided an enterprise to be concluded with the degree of success it *could* have achieved if there was more of "us" and less of "I".
so this (<- that's a crown right?) is not cool, specially on an open community like this one.
yep, this shadows work will be transparent. I keep posting findings and information as I find/learn. I'm not like others who let it go to their head so this will remain an open source project as far as I'm concerned. No more to be said about it.

EDIT: this is not looking good. I stripped the crew's body down to nothing (not literally) to see if I could get rid of these pyschadelic colors. Results:

anywhere there's a shadow cast on a crew member these pyschadelic colors are shown. It's a problem with enabling shadows. Looks like something that we're going to have to live with to have shadows. I can deal with it as this is a minor annoyance. I'll put it on my list of come back tos. Now the question is do crew on other ships have this problem? I don't play the game anymore so you all will have to tell me this.
Now let's see if we can get the crew to cast shadows.....

EDIT2: Crew shadows look good...

BUT, as I feared, they interfere with the shadows cast by the Turm. Since the crew's shadows are not 'cast' onto the same object they interfere with the Turm shadows. Looks like no shadows for crew unless I can find another way. Below you can see how the shadows from the crew have introduced 'light' into the Turm shadow on the sub.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 02-21-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-21-09, 12:02 PM   #114
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenijaru
yep, this shadows work will be transparent. I keep posting findings and information as I find/learn. I'm not like others who let it go to their head so this will remain an open source project as far as I'm concerned. No more to be said about it.

EDIT: this is not looking good. I stripped the crew's body down to nothing (not literally) to see if I could get rid of these pyschadelic colors. Results:

anywhere there's a shadow cast on a crew member these pyschadelic colors are shown. It's a problem with enabling shadows. Looks like something that we're going to have to live with to have shadows. I can deal with it as this is a minor annoyance. I'll put it on my list of come back tos. Now the question is do crew on other ships have this problem? I don't play the game anymore so you all will have to tell me this.
Now let's see if we can get the crew to cast shadows.....
Is it possible to turn crew shadows off altogether, surely thats a better option than disco crew??
Old 02-21-09, 12:12 PM   #115
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakmonkey
Is it possible to turn crew shadows off altogether, surely thats a better option than disco crew??
The crew doesn't have any shadows....it's the shadows that are cast onto the crew by other objects that are causing the disco crew. You can't turn off shadow casting onto an object (at least I haven't figured out how if it's even possible - well you can by removing the light source but then all shadows are gone). Watch the crew's binoculars. Once the binocular's cast a shadow onto the crew member you get a nice psychadelic binocular imprint on them. The Flak gun is another good one - if it casts a shadow onto a crew member you see that psychadellic shadow on the crewmember of the Flak gun. I'm not giving up hope but I'm going to put it to the side for now and maybe as I dig deeper into this I'll discover something that can cure this. You never know.
Old 02-21-09, 12:40 PM   #116
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flakmonkey
The crew doesn't have any shadows....it's the shadows that are cast onto the crew by other objects that are causing the disco crew. You can't turn off shadow casting onto an object (at least I haven't figured out how if it's even possible - well you can by removing the light source but then all shadows are gone). Watch the crew's binoculars. Once the binocular's cast a shadow onto the crew member you get a nice psychadelic binocular imprint on them. The Flak gun is another good one - if it casts a shadow onto a crew member you see that psychadellic shadow on the crewmember of the Flak gun. I'm not giving up hope but I'm going to put it to the side for now and maybe as I dig deeper into this I'll discover something that can cure this. You never know.
Guess i need to learn to love disco again!
Old 02-21-09, 05:34 PM   #117
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Question: If the crew belonged to another ship, but were none the less on the sub, would shadows be cast on them?

Might it be possible to have all the crew positions be daughters of a dummy that is someplace the shadows do not get cast on?

Make a dummy for the sub as a whole. The actual sub model (current model) is then a daughter. A sibling to the sub model is a dummy with all the crew stuff. The shadows are set for just the "real" sub.

If that makes sense.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 05:52 PM   #118
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

So if I can catch up here.....have you managed to get an object to cast a shadow on another object and the only stumbling block is the crew colours?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 05:59 PM   #119
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
So if I can catch up here.....have you managed to get an object to cast a shadow on another object and the only stumbling block is the crew colours?
that would be correct.
Old 02-21-09, 06:02 PM   #120
LordNeuro"Serbia"
Chief

Downloads: 45
Default Just the thoat

Maybe u can cancel the crew shadows and the color will work fine. After all missing the crew shadows and ahve all athers dont sound theat bad. I main we dont have any shadows now. So having all shadows and not the crew 1 is a big step for sh.