SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-13, 11:32 AM   #1
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Default The UC3 Nautilus needs your help!

As some of you may know, we had the pleasure of spending 2 full days playing with a true diesel electric submarine during the 2009 Subsim meet.

That submarine now need your help.

Quote:
ABOUT UC3 NAUTILUS
In 1869, Jules Verne wrote a fantastic story about the mysterious Captain Nemo and his submarine "Nautilus." Nemo was an individual seeking freedom and independence in the depths of the oceans. He had constructed Nautilus with his faithful friends on a secret shipyard on the island of "Vulcania."

Despit the technology having been available for over a hundred years, no individual or non-government group ever turned Verne’s idea into reality until a group of Danish individuals, led by Peter Madsen and Claus Nørregård, decided to follow their lifelong dream and build a submarine of their own. Named after Jules Verne’s fictional vessel, the UC3 Nautilus made her maiden voyage in May 2008.

The UC3 Nautilus is a diesel-electric submarine. The diesel engine is used to propel her when sailing on or just below the surface, and the electrical engines are used when submerged. She is equipped just like a “real” post-WWII submarine with galley, crew bunks, officer’s mess, bridge, and engine room.

UC3 NAUTILUS - Technical data:
Type: Submarine
Tonnage: 40 GT
Length: 17.76 m (58 ft 3 in)
Beam: 2 m (6 ft 7 in)
Propulsion: 1 × diesel engine
1 x electric motor
Speed: 6 knots (11 km/h; 6.9 mph)
Crew: 4 - 8

The UC3 Nautilus is owned and operated by the non-profit organization “Copenhagen Suborbitals.” Copenhagen Suborbitals is currently working to become the first non-government, all-volunteer organization to launch a human being into (and back from) space. She is maintained by a dedicated group of volunteers.

Since her deployment, UC3 Nautilus hs logged more the 1000 dives and she is currently ashore for a major overhaul. The purpose of this campaign is to raise USD 50,000 to pay for the materials and spare parts needed to get her back in the water, thereby ensuring many more years of underwater adventures.

If we reach our funding goal, UC3 Nautilus will be fully operational again by the summer of 2014. All her moving parts and valves will be refurbished or replaced, her electrical system upgraded, and she will be sand blasted and coated with professional grade ship paint – a coating that will last at least 5 years. From the summer 2014 she will once again be able to embark on adventures in the ocean.

What We Need
More than ten people are working on the Nautilus but we need your help to afford the necessary materials for her overhaul. Over the past year we have repaired the hull, replaced the rudders, and installed the electric engines. We still need to upgrade the diesel engine, replace pressure valves and windows, and install a GPS-calibrated gyrocompass and new underwater cameras. Additionally, some of the big batteries for electric propulsion need to be replaced.

Lastly the entire ship will be sandblasted and painted black with the best available ship-grade hull paint.
You can see a video and more information about what is needed and the funding here : http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...k-in-the-water

If you cant afford to support, please spread the word far and wide!

Videos from the 2009 meet:

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 10:49 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Hear hear! I will be adding to this effort very soon with more info.
Old 05-31-13, 02:06 AM   #3
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

wow thank for the alert. I hope many at subsim will donate.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 10:21 AM   #4
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

I remember reading about Naughty Nautilus when you were still building her. Still one of the coolest projects I've ever seen. If I can help, I will.
Old 06-02-13, 07:10 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Capt. Peter constructed the Nautilus from his own funds, on his own time, with help from friends. Now he is putting Nautilus in for a refit, and it's time for his friends to step up and help. You can make a donation at the following page to assist with the costs of getting this historic submarine back in fighting shape.

Refit time for our old friend UC-3 Nautilus

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 06:16 AM   #6
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

Just thought Id give this one a bump. It's a good cause. If you love subs, you should love this little wonder
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:29 AM   #7
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkol View Post
If you love subs, you should love this little wonder
If you don't love subs, then this really isn't the place for you.
Old 08-03-13, 02:44 PM   #8
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

Hey folks,

even though Ive pretty much been submerged in my efforts to overcome my very own economical collapse (besides the crash my country faces) for quite a while due to my long-term unemployment and struggle as a freelance programmer, I came to the front site, and took a moment to see the latest subsim news. I saw the page dedicated to this issue. And while I'm nowhere near being able to help directly, I've taken the time to upgrade the Youtube videos I made with brand new annotations that link directly to the most interesting pieces of footage, so as to make the videos a little more "user-friendly".

I hope it's useful for you folks out here, and any newcomers that get to see it for the first time.

Cheers, and special regards to the buddies (and Peter, of course) that attended the 2009 meeting with me, I'd never been able to record such priceless and awesome stuff without you.
martes86 is offline   Reply With Quote