SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-07, 07:44 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

SimHQ review of Subsim Almanac

Well, our first, really well-written review!

Quote:
This is a professionally-produced paperback, with a foreword composed by well-known military fiction author Joe Buff. The idea for the Almanac began in 2005, when Neal, who is the “guod” of Subsim.com, started thinking about the changes in the Internet, military gaming communities, and the simulation fan base since the mid-1990s. Subsim.com started about the same time as the predecessor to SimHQ, in January 1997. Neal’s vision was a printed book, to honor the contributions of the Subsim family to their hobby. Like air combat sim fans, theirs is a diverse, devoted, hardcore and occasionally raucous group. They write game reviews, build mods, and write some of the best military fiction on the Internet. Like our own SimHQ, Subsim is a vibrant community of enthusiasts, and the Almanac is a tribute to that community.
Old 02-19-07, 08:30 PM   #2
flintlock
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
A hearty congrats, Neal, and to all the other people (community and otherwise) who were involved in this project.

/hats off to you all
flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 09:31 AM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Yep, congrats Neal! Looking forward on buying it!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 01:58 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

So, now that you've read it, what's your favorite part? This is a wonderful book, very insightful and funny!
Old 03-04-07, 01:22 AM   #5
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Downloads: 38

'grats and thanks to Neal and contributers. This will proudly be displayed on my bookshelf for decades to come.

James
Old 03-12-07, 10:38 AM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Come on folks put some effort in to it......................

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 11:28 AM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I see Neal's here in his off duty gear, looking good Neal.

OK, here we go folks and this is what Neal wants from you.

STEED is in the house and is about to write a review of 2007 SUBSIM ALMANAC.

First up thank you again Neal for sending me a free copy.

Well a book about a website. :hmm: Tricky one that, so here goes.

Let me get the negative side over with, I found there was a little too much of The Lost Patrols of U-49 and I found the Erich Topp article bland along with a few other issues. But you have to take in to account this is no ordinary book as it's made up of all kinds of information from articles to games to profiles. As this is Neal's first Almanac (that I know of) this is a good first effort and I hope Neal dose a follow up in 2017.

Now what did I enjoy the most from the book, for me there was these articles which were very interesting the Origin of the Laconia Order the famous U-Boat incident. The article by Bill Nichols, I don't have much interest in post war subs but Bills article Back to the Future was well written smooth and easy on the eyes. As a note to you Bill if you write a book along that style on US subs post WW2 I would buy a copy of the book. The Dreadnought Era and The Flanders U-Boat Flotilla 1915-1918 were also interesting reading.

So to some up I believe this book has something in it for everyone to enjoy, my over all mark out of ten for this kind of book is 7 out of 10 which is a good mark for a book that contains all kinds of things to read.

PS: My fellow Captains this what a book review should be. Come on, Neal put a lot of work in to the book so please give Neal a proper book review.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote