SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-21, 05:06 PM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default All things Elite Dangerous

So... ED was on sale and I got it. Not entirely out of the blue, mind you. I played Frontier and First Encounters for years in the 90's/00's (and had a short lived go at Elite in the 80's) and after learning about player groups like the Fuel Rats, I finally gave in and bought the game.

Currently I play solo exclusively as I learned there are player groups online who dedicate their time to eradicating new players. That is not what ED is to me.

Luckily, apart from solo mode, there is also the option of setting up private sessions by invite but me being this new to the game I haven't looked too much into this as I am still trying to unlearn what Frontier and First Encounter taught me, and with real life demanding its share of my time, well, learning comes slowly.

That being said: Even in solo mode, ED looks like Frontier having studied the X games in many respects. Multiple ships to fly, all sorts of gear to install and swap around. The graphics are stunning and with around 400 billion star systems to explore, I don't think we'll see the game being "won", ever, if exploring everything is winning.

Curently I am taking a well deserved break, and repairs, after an encounter with 4-6 Thargoids (real nasties if you never played the Elite games). Me out to learn absolutely had to investigate a radio signal that was marked as "nonhuman". They almost got me, had my well armoured hull down to 32%, my hyperjump engine (my escape) damaged and worked roughly 40% of the times I attepted to make a jump. My ship was slightly faster than theirs but either they made jumps to gain on me or they have boost tech that put anything I know of to shame. They hunted me well and truly until I was lucky: The jumpdrive kicked in, FINALLY, and I made a hasty retreat to the nearest station for repairs and a stiff drink.

Anyone here playing ED and if so, anyone interested in a private session without the juvenile pests around who want to ruin it for everyone?

Finally, if you have played it, or are still playing it, any stories, tips, ideas to share?

Last edited by Von Due; 01-05-21 at 05:20 PM.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 06:11 PM   #2
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default Ha space sims my old friends

ill look in to getting this maybe could be a good change of pace back in the day i loved space sims

all the Wing commander series

privateer the darkening with ships computer "Dani Behr"

Star Lancer

Free Lancer

Tachyon: The Fringe

FTL Is very good actually

Faster Then Light

ive got the FTL - Advanced Edition with the endless Space mod on it

ill let you know after ive looked at Elite Dangerous k

as you said tho yes private or solo best way to go

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 01-06-21 at 03:34 PM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 06:14 PM   #3
Von Due
Sea Lord

Apart from Elite II/III, the space games I spent waaaay too much time with were
TIE Fighter (best overall space shooter sim there ever was). I have spotted one new feature in ED that is lifted directly from those SW space sims: Power management.
X Beyond The Frontier
X:Tension
Kerbal Space Program (because guns are not needed all the time in every single game in existence)

An absolutely insane amount of time went into all of these. I wouldn't be surprised if ED will end up in the same club. So many things that reminds me of just how crazy big Braben and Ian Bell managed to make space on an 8 bit computer back in the day and how that size exploded with Elite II.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” - D. Adams

ED fully manages to give us that enormous game world, and filled with things to discover in ways that aren't as utterly broken as it was in Elite III.
Old 01-07-21, 12:37 PM   #4
steel shark
XO

Default guess what

when i first saw your "elite dangerous" post it reminded me of something ive remembered what is was now

last year a best friend of mine died in a motorway crash so after i helped his mum out with sorting his room out & legal stuff

he left no will so was a real mess ect

in the end she left me with his xbox 1 and various other stuff as a thank you for the support & help

ive today remembered that he got elite dangerous so ill make a new account for me & try it out tonight

well that,s my first bit of luck this year

ill let you know how i get on

also im guessing that xbox & pc versions might not talk to each other some times they do

either way a Microsoft account should be transferable to a different machine maybe if not at least i can get some hands on practice to see if i like it ive watch few tube videos its looks very good

a other game i got last year ive remembered was for xbox 1 its called "The Long Journey Home"

its very good space get home exploration & tactical game you might like

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 01-22-21 at 02:49 PM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 02:42 PM   #5
Von Due
Sea Lord

That's a dark story. RIP to your friend.

I have no idea about different platforms communicating. I guess we'll find out then. About accounts: ED requires an account that can be linked to the purchase, if I'm not mistaking. I bought mine on sale but the price on steam isn't as bad as for many other titles. You can also link your Steam account to your ED account. It passes for a purchase check.
Old 01-07-21, 05:22 PM   #6
steel shark
XO

Default wow very nise game

very good game like freelancer but with today's graphics and you can land & drive !!!

its also got Holly From RED DWARF as a ai voice choice !!!

"if they have also added a holly hop drive all the better"

also dash board add on,s i couldn't find the "hawaiian hula girl" one i was looking for tho ... ha well

ill look in to cross game compatibility if not ill sort something out ive sent you a friend request

and thank you for the RIP for my mate very appreciated

i really wish that meant

Return If Possible

ill be in touch

Stay safe

Steel Shark