SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-06, 09:11 AM   #1
Fire_Spy
Mate

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Dynamic Locations

After having read the editor manual I still dont quite get how dynamic locations work. Does anyone know how they work?

And what does the checkbox for Key Player do?

Thanks in advance.
The Russians knew where the carrier group was, but it would move in the four hours required by the bombers to get there. Their missiles needed precise information if they were to home in on the raid's primary target, the two American and one French carrier, or the mission was a wasted effort.

The game was hide and seek, played over a million square miles of ocean. The losers died.
Fire_Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 04:08 PM   #2
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Dynamic locations come in groups. You assign a group of objects to each group of locations.

When the mission loads, the objects assigned to the group are moved to the locations randomly - i.e. A randomly selected ship of those assigned moved to a randomly selected of the dynamic locations in the group.

(And at the end, other things that check for wether or not the object should exist in the mission... May seem kinda backwards until you get to the point of dynamic groups being spawned later.)

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 02:12 AM   #3
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Default Answers

I suggest you practice with dynamic groups first. In short, they are a way of adding random number of random objects to the game. You can manually set them in random areas as well. Check the scenarios made by other players to see how they have done things.

I think the "key player" checkbox is used in campaigns. If the key player is killed during the mission, the campaign will not continue. (Or then it was that all key players are checked after the mission, whether they will exist in the next missions as well... :hmm: )

Hopefully some campaign designer can give a better answer.

Miika
Old 03-23-06, 04:36 AM   #4
Fire_Spy
Mate

Downloads: 25

Thankyou for the info on dynamic locations. I too thought that was what key player was for, so you could have certain platforms from one mission to the next but when i tried to do this it didnt seem to work.
The Russians knew where the carrier group was, but it would move in the four hours required by the bombers to get there. Their missiles needed precise information if they were to home in on the raid's primary target, the two American and one French carrier, or the mission was a wasted effort.

The game was hide and seek, played over a million square miles of ocean. The losers died.
Fire_Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 02:49 PM   #5
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3
Default Re: Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
I think the "key player" checkbox is used in campaigns. If the key player is killed during the mission, the campaign will not continue. (Or then it was that all key players are checked after the mission, whether they will exist in the next missions as well... :hmm: )
Key player isn't available unless you designate the mission as a campaign mission - and probaly has absolutely no effect outside a campaign.

And it is a matter of "will not exist in the following missions if sunk in this mission", if I remember correctly. I haven't made any myself, but I think someone from SCS explained as much.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote