Old 01-13-12, 07:39 PM   #16
pcohen
Shore leave

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Here's how I got mine running in DOS Box .74

Originally DOS has trouble with names greater than 7-characters, to avoid this create a folder in your C:\ drive giving it a short name. I use c:\oldgms and will use it throughout this posting as an example. The name is irrelevant but less than 7 characters is recommended. Note that this folder is not in your Program Files folder but directly in your C:\ drive.

Move your SILENT folder into this folder.

Create a folder named D in your C:\oldgms\SILENT folder. Copy the entire game disk into this folder using drag and drop or select all + copy-paste.

Open DOS Box.

Type:
mount c c:\oldgms\silent

<DOS Box should tell you that c:\ drive is now located in the C:\oldgms\silent folder>

Type:
mount d c:\oldgms\silent\d -t cdrom

<This points the game to the D folder and fools it into thinking that the CDROM is present. Note the space between the d, the -t switch and the cdrom text in the command line. DOS Box should now tell you that the CD ROM has been mounted in the D folder>

Type:
c:

<Changes DOS Box directory from Z:\ to C:\>

Type dir/w/p

<Just a double check to make sure everything is where it should be. The -w switch causes the file and folder names to show in the wide format. The -p switch pauses DOS when the screen is full. Pressing any key continues to the end where the DOS prompt will reappear. This step can be omitted if you think you nailed everything above.>

At the C:\ DOS prompt type SOUND and follow the prompts to set up your sound files. DOS Box emulates SoundBlaster on my machine but I had to enter the IRQ etc. manually. When you first open DOS Box the required values should be listed above the Z:\ prompt.

You should be ready to play, using either SILENT (the DOS Batch executable) or SH, the game executable or SE, the Editor executable.

Hope this helps, good luck.
I dont believe it!!!

Your Instructions above are so straight forward to follow it's untrue.

I followed to the letter making double sure spaces between text was Right, I assume you meant copy files from SHCE CD to D folder created, not from the Folder in C:.

Checked All before clicking SH, Screen changed i.e black dos screen,
looked as though it was going to start, flickered a few times like it was going to start then came back to the desktop.

still have issue with XMS not meeting System Requirements ( item 2 ) when installing SHCE and think this should be correct before using DosBox.

thinking of taking everything out and starting again with your above instructions.

Many thanks for help and patience.

Regards

Paul
pcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 09:44 PM   #17
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I actually installed SHCE using DOS Box using this procedure:

Make sure your C:\oldgms (or whatever you called it) folder just has the D folder with the copy of the SHCE disk. The file tree should be:

C:\oldgms\d

Open DOS Box.

Type:
mount c c:\oldgms

Type:
mount d c:\oldgms\d -t cdrom

Type:
d:

Type:
install

The SH installer will automatically create the SILENT folder in your oldgms folder and you can then run SOUND to set up the audio. It actually seems to me like this may be a sound issue, I re-installed SHCE as a test and got the same XMS error message as you during set up.

When done, move the D folder into the SILENT folder.

Do not use the auto set up for the sound card. Select SoundBlaster (Not SB-16 or pro) and configure it manually. I just tried auto set up with SB-16 emulation and got a CTD just like you.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-13-12, 09:49 PM   #18
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
I actually installed SHCE using DOS Box using this procedure:

Make sure your C:\oldgms (or whatever you called it) folder just has the D folder with the copy of the SHCE disk. The file tree should be:

C:\oldgms\d

Open DOS Box.

Type:
mount c c:\oldgms

Type:
mount d c:\oldgms\d -t cdrom

Type:
d:

Type:
install

The SH installer will automatically create the SILENT folder in your oldgms folder and you can then run SOUND to set up the audio. It actually seems to me like this may be a sound issue, I re-installed SHCE as a test and got the same XMS error message as you during set up.

When done, move the D folder into the SILENT folder.

Do not use the auto set up for the sound card. Select SoundBlaster (Not SB-16 or pro) and configure it manually. I just tried auto set up with SB-16 emulation and got a CTD just like you.

I hope this helps.
Hi, thanks again, will give it try.

Hope I'm not keeping you up, I have to be because i'm at work on night shift

Paul
Old 01-13-12, 10:10 PM   #19
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

No sweat, Pacific Standard Time and all...

If it gets you up and running it's all worthwhile. If not, am pretty much out of ideas.

Just to be sure, when opened DOS Box should have a command line something like:

Z:\SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

These are the values (those required by the program) that will be manually input into the SoundBlaster set up.
Old 01-14-12, 01:05 PM   #20
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
No sweat, Pacific Standard Time and all...

If it gets you up and running it's all worthwhile. If not, am pretty much out of ideas.

Just to be sure, when opened DOS Box should have a command line something like:

Z:\SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

These are the values (those required by the program) that will be manually input into the SoundBlaster set up.
Hi again, and many, thanks for all your help and patience ( And everybody else out there who were also helping ).
It’s now running, Ive seen it running, I’ve heard it running and I know it’s running in all it’s glory.
BUT, here’s the problem I still Have:-
First, it’s running Windowed not in Full Screen,
Second, when I Exit the Game it won’t start again.
I think this is a Folder Tree Issue i.e Where should my Silent Folder be, in C:\Silent or C:\Program Files.
Also which Icon Shortcut should I put on My Desktop Please? When I click SH Icon in Silent Folder, like before it seems to do it’s thing and then comes back to the Desktop.
Thanks again, to you and all the others out on the Forums that have been so much help over the last few days.
Regards
Paul
Old 01-14-12, 01:18 PM   #21
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Good Show!

The big advantage of D-Fend Reloaded over DOS Box is that the latter needs to be started using the DOS text protocols whereas D-Fend starts on a double click. If you got SHCE running in the latter you have done better than me so I have nothing to offer by way of advice.

I imagine one could write a short batch file executable that would do the work in DOS Box but that is far beyond my skill level.

With DOS Box and D-Fend, Alt+Enter toggles full screen on and off.

So, sorry no shortcut for DOS Box, you need to run the mount command lines every time you wish to play.

Good Hunting.
Old 01-14-12, 01:34 PM   #22
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Good Show!

The big advantage of D-Fend Reloaded over DOS Box is that the latter needs to be started using the DOS text protocols whereas D-Fend starts on a double click. If you got SHCE running in the latter you have done better than me so I have nothing to offer by way of advice.

I imagine one could write a short batch file executable that would do the work in DOS Box but that is far beyond my skill level.

With DOS Box and D-Fend, Alt+Enter toggles full screen on and off.

So, sorry no shortcut for DOS Box, you need to run the mount command lines every time you wish to play.

Good Hunting.
OOPS!

Have done this with DosBox.

but now I have a rough idea what I'm doing I will try it Again with D-Fend reloaded, but still have to work out how to start Game

Paul
Old 01-15-12, 06:16 AM   #23
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cohen View Post
OOPS!

Have done this with DosBox.

but now I have a rough idea what I'm doing I will try it Again with D-Fend reloaded, but still have to work Paul
Hello everybody, me again.

Right, I now have SHCE runing in both D-FEND Reloaded and DosBox with everything running OK.

Will delete one or the other when sorted, only Problem i'm left with is the screen still running in Windowed format, am told that ALT+ENTER Switches from Windowed to FullScreen, but does'nt work for me.

I am running this on my Computer and my Laptop and ALT + ENTER for Full Screen Does'nt work on either.

Hopefully this should be last Qestion, apart from now completed, how/where do I start SHCE from.

Many thanks for all help.

Paul

Last edited by pcohen; 01-15-12 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 10:51 AM   #24
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

With any windowed application it must be the active window before keyboard commands will work. Make sure you click on the game window before typing Alt+Enter.

If you have already done so and it doesn't work, have no idea what to do next.
Old 01-15-12, 11:05 AM   #25
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
With any windowed application it must be the active window before keyboard commands will work. Make sure you click on the game window before typing Alt+Enter.

If you have already done so and it doesn't work, have no idea what to do next.
Hello again, your going to get fed up with me.

I have already run this once in windowed Version and everything is running perfectly, problem I have is, when I switch it off and return to the Desktop I cannot find the exe. setup file to restart SHCE.

Once I find this and sort the Full Screen Issue I should be up and running.

I am now running this with D-FEND Reloaded, hopefully for the quicker start.

Thanks

Paul