SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-12, 04:30 AM   #1
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default TMO2.5 conversion chart

Just started playing a new TMO2.5 campaign

I love it, and the integrated Nisgeis' TDC is great

But I always find myself wondering about that conversion chart (or "convertion chart" as it calls itself) that replaces the gramophone icon.

What is the point of it actually? it seems to me kind of pointless, and therefore unattractive, and rather below the standard of the rest of the mod.

The chart seems to be nothing more than saying that at 9 knots, you travel 9 nautical miles in one hour and therefore 27 nm in 3 hours and so on. Does anyone playing this game not know this? that speed in knots is defined as nautical miles/hour?

it's just a multiplication table, hardly worthy of the Confidential "For Official Use Only" stamp at the bottom(quotation marks included for, presumably, emphasis), and in fact most of us learned to memorize the multiplication table in primary school.

furthermore it is an unusual multiplication table, in that in many cases it has odd results. eg. 21 knots in one hour gives distance traveled as 20.99 nm, rather than 21 nm. How the designer arrived at this i don't know.

and at 2 knots it gives distance traveled in one hour as 1.2 nm, rather than 2, but after 2 hours it correctly gives 4 nm, and this is inexplicable.

i think the whole thing is silly and beneath the level that TMO2.5 plays at.

it's easy enough for me to get rid of it, and i think i will, but still...perhaps the space could be used for something more productive
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote