SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-08, 09:36 AM   #976
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos
I was playing OM, 30 flotilla, black sea. The Russians seem to have eyes of eagles, and very sharp ears. However that is not the bugaboo.

The problem I found disconcerting I discovered to my chagrin that the crush depth results in a no warning (loud creaks and pops) before the hull takes 100 percent damage.

I did not like this with SH4 when it first came out, and I certainly don't find it realistic in the least. A hull about to give gives a whole hell of a lot of warning.

Did I install OM wrong, or is this a "feature" of OM? I certainly hope it is the former.

In your next release can you do away with this unfortunate "feature" of SH4 vanilla if it was indeed an intended feature.

The scenario,

I was descending to find the thermal layer (which for all I know I had passed). My plan was to level off with the first light flash, Ala, Das Boot (yes deeper chief). But when my boat passed 160 meters the lights started flashing, followed by a whole slew of damage reports. When I looked at the damage screen I saw 100 percent damage, and every thing wrecked. Now remember there was absolutely no audible warning about this, just the usual creaks, depth call outs, and interior sounds before all hell broke loose.

As designed. Max depth on a Type IIB is 150 meters

http://www.uboat.net/types/iib.htm
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 09:43 AM   #977
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosje
Hullo again, Lurker. Well done on OpMon v600 and the patch, sterling stuff!

Current setup:

BBC radio mod
RFB + patch
SPAX Uboat speech fix
Opmon v600
[personal preference commands.cfg]
220 RFB obstructed binocular mod
OMV600 patch 1A
OMPlot v200

now, it says in the readme that OMPlot should only be installed on a clean install with opmon, as i just realised, but it doesnt seem to wreck the game so far. Only problem is that I suddenly have crosshairs and bearing ring back in the binocular view. The only alternative I can see is the TMOplot final mod for RFB which does not work with Opmon as it removes all speed and heading information from contact reports.

So the question is twofold: apart from the 'stock' binoculars, is there anything essential which I'm wrecking with the OMplot v200? If that's the case, what would be the best setup for a 'realistic' game for manual targeting junkies?

The features of OMPlot are pretty much exactly what I'd want but it overwrites all the things which the readme states it should not, if you know what I mean

thanks, bosje
As I stated in the OMPlot readme, It overwrites two "VERY" key files “menu_1024_768.ini” & “menu.txt, when you loaded over the top of RFB, you trashed alot of "key" changes that RFB makes. If you continue to use OMPlot on top of RFB you "ARE" going to have problems later on.

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 12-30-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 11:09 PM   #978
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

I understand that the max depth for the type II was 150, however, what I did not like was the utter silence of the hull as it descended below crush depth. No load and groaning creaks as the hull neared the crush point.

Is it just a limitation of the sound engine of the game?
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 08:56 AM   #979
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
I understand that the max depth for the type II was 150, however, what I did not like was the utter silence of the hull as it descended below crush depth. No load and groaning creaks as the hull neared the crush point.

Is it just a limitation of the sound engine of the game?
I will look into it
Old 01-01-09, 12:10 PM   #980
Husksubsky
XO

Downloads: 254
Default Manual fireing with german u boats

Hello, I ve played RFB in Pacific for a while and started an OM career.It looks so great but I struggle with understanding all the knobs of the attack plot and in what way (if in any) it s linked to the "notepad" I set range aob and speed(wich I like to calculate myself )
Any one seen a tutorial or manual of any kind?
and where is the "ping" sound
Happy new year
EDIT:
I managed to find out most of the system, but still I find some weird results from the pinging .sometimes I hear a ping and sometimes not. some times it seem to send different distance to tdc than when I pinged..hmmm...and I seem to always discover ships when theyre very close.could not see futher than 2-3 km although visibility was good.only once I discovered ship like 6 km away.
think I ll go back to us subs.
tried different german.
using rfb, rsds and om

Last edited by Husksubsky; 01-01-09 at 08:00 PM.
Husksubsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 04:44 AM   #981
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

Lurker, just spent half the night in real time in close company of a convoy, very nice. one question: A flower corvette was sitting stationary, trying to listen for me. I was, in fact, creeping up on him at decks awash.
fired two tII electric torpedoes for magnetic detonation (aob almost 180) and to my surprise it took an evasive run for it as the torpedoes got close...
is that as designed?
(sept 1940, western approaches north entrance, around 23:00)
their passive sonar picks up on running torpedoes?

cheers
Old 01-03-09, 09:03 AM   #982
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Lurker, just spent half the night in real time in close company of a convoy, very nice. one question: A flower corvette was sitting stationary, trying to listen for me. I was, in fact, creeping up on him at decks awash.
fired two tII electric torpedoes for magnetic detonation (aob almost 180) and to my surprise it took an evasive run for it as the torpedoes got close...
is that as designed?

cheers
That a "stock" reaction, I did nothing to make it do that
Old 01-03-09, 09:15 AM   #983
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default HE effects

I would say a sonar operator would pick the screws on his hydrophones, suposing he`s sweeping the bearing in time, and they were alerted. Its a great game dont you think?

Quote:
is that as designed?

cheers

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 12:56 PM   #984
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

yup i figure the same, it's just that i never saw that behaviour in SH3 or 4 before, just checking

aye it's a great game, all these modding efforts really add a lot. thanks!
Old 01-03-09, 04:37 PM   #985
mati-pl@wp.pl
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Am i a MORON??

That's propobly my fault but it doesn't work.

1. How can I access this operation monsun career? I tried trough u boot career but the normal one appears, the one starting in 1943.

I tried different variable:

1.sh4--->OpsMons 600
2.sh4--->patch 1.4-->OpsMons 600
3.sh4--->uboot missions--->OpsMons 600
4.sg4--->uboot missions--->OpsMons 600--->OpsMons patch 600

None of them seems to be working.
Each time mods were inserted by the programm Generic Mod Enabler.
mati-pl@wp.pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 05:21 PM   #986
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati-pl@wp.pl
That's propobly my fault but it doesn't work.

1. How can I access this operation monsun career? I tried trough u boot career but the normal one appears, the one starting in 1943.

I tried different variable:

1.sh4--->OpsMons 600
2.sh4--->patch 1.4-->OpsMons 600
3.sh4--->uboot missions--->OpsMons 600

None of them seems to be working.
Each time mods were inserted by the programm Generic Mod Enabler.

Please read the folllowing

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/5181035206

it sounds as if you did not install OM correctly

this is the correct install order

Old 01-03-09, 06:01 PM   #987
mati-pl@wp.pl
Nub

Downloads: 0

Ha!!!

It all works perfectly. Thank you once again i am really impressed by your skills. I skipped two steps anticipating that this will not affect the overall outcome, however it did. Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Mateusz
mati-pl@wp.pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:09 AM   #988
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Default Diesels running at periscope depth

Sorry to have to bring up another bug, but The type 9c40, lacking a snorkel, late 43 atlantic mission has it's diesels fire up when the the boat is at periscope depth. I looked for the parameter that controls at what depth the engines come on line but found nothing.

I would think this would make silent running impossible during a torpedo attack.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 07:25 AM   #989
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Downloads: 83
Default OM with RFB/RSRDC fully functional?

Here's a quick question:

If I install OM on top of RFB/RSRD, will I be able to move back and forth between German and US play without problems? In other words, does OM "break" anything in RFB/RSRD, or can I play both with no problems?

Thanks!
Paul Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 09:34 AM   #990
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry to have to bring up another bug, but The type 9c40, lacking a snorkel, late 43 atlantic mission has it's diesels fire up when the the boat is at periscope depth. I looked for the parameter that controls at what depth the engines come on line but found nothing.

I would think this would make silent running impossible during a torpedo attack.

The 9c40 lack of a snorkel is currently "as designed" , as far as you other comment I will look into it