SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-07, 03:52 PM   #1
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Sh3Gen v0.8.1 Tracking Room -released-

SH3GEN TRACKING ROOM

Because Sh3Gen was completely relying on ingame visualization, and the dire restrictions of the SHIII map station I decided I want to visualize the Sh3Gen data in an external application.

Sh3Gen Tracking Room Editions come with an option to export data that can be used with GIS (geographical information) systems.

You will need to download a tool that can display the map data. I have optimized it for usage with the (completely free) TatukGIS Viewer, a great program, but it’s possible to use it with other GIS tools that can read GML files.

With Sh3Gen and the viewer you can now study the strategic situation like in a real tracking room. Another great advantage is that you can now store and review your previous patrols, which was one of the things I really wanted to have.

The GIS view contains all the data that you are used to from Sh3Gen, plus a lot more through the data panels. There is now a detailed property table for every object in the map, while the SHIII Map is restricted to hold all informations in a 19 character string.

This should be extremely interesting if you run it on a two monitor setup or a second computer. I haven't tried that yet, but it should open up a whole lot of new possibilities!!

I don’t know of I will find the time to create documentation for the GIS part. Using the GIS initially requires a little bit of learning, but is also extremely powerful.

I hope you catch up in the idea, and help others getting the most out of it.

More information can be found on my site.

SCREENSHOTS

INSTRUCTIONS

It should be really simple.

Register and download the free TatukGIS Viewer.

Alternative download:
http://www.rockware.com/catalog/page...gisviewer.html

Get the latest version of Sh3Gen Tracking Room.

UPDATE 2007-04-21: Temporary solution for the newer version of TatukGIS viewer: replace the file Sh3Gen\Tracking Room\Template\terrain.gml with the newer version from this file:

www.christian-wendt.org/terrain.exe

Use Sh3Gen like previous versions until you exit the summary screen

After the summary screen a new window pops up which allows you to specify the place where the generator should place the tracking room files. Usually it should be ok to use the values automatically chosen by Sh3Gen.

If you click "Export", the generator will create a new folder and copy all the required files into it.

If you already have the TatukGIS viewer installed, and you have the "Launch automatically" checkbox on, the map will open up instantly.

Later you can launch any map generated previously by opening up Sh3Gen\UserData\<..>\ and double clicking the corresponding "Sh3Gen Tracking Room.TTKGP" file.

There is another file “Traffic Concentrations.TTKGP” which brings you directly to an alternative map with traffic hotspots for merchants, destroyers, warships and submarines.

The GIS viewer has a multitude of options, which we can discuss later. I have tried to set it up in a way that should be enough for most people. But you don’t get any “stupider” by learning some things about the GIS world. There is a lot more you can do with those tools than just zooming and panning about, and I hope to provide you with tips soon.

If it doesn't seem to do anything, make sure that the "Tracking Room" checkbox under "General Settings" is on (though it should be on by default).

If someone with talent for graphics would like to help me improve the map with little bitmap symbols, that would make my day!

A lot of information can be found in these older discussion threads for Sh3Gen:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105840

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88438

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 04-21-07 at 05:16 AM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 05:12 AM   #2
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

WOW Awesome tool GO!

Love it thanks, for another great work mate!!!

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 10:41 AM   #3
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

GE
Great! A must have!
Old 02-25-07, 06:13 PM   #4
Rab09
Watch

Downloads: 0

What a differance to the game!! Haveing a general idea of whats going on gives one a better understanding of your part in the war. I also like haveing an objective to work for, besides just getting to your patrol station. Gives one a feeling that you are needed and are doing your part.
A massave well done and thank you!!

Proud son of a WWII Chief Torpedoman, forward tubes. Pacific.
Rab09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 08:31 PM   #5
Church SUBSIM
Weps

Downloads: 120
Uploads: 4

umm WOW!

Thanks Global for continuing to work on your mods/tools - they have become for me (and many here I am sure) must haves for the experience!

Church SUBSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:40 PM   #6
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

WOOW!!! It's compatible with SH3 Commander and GWX 1.02?

Great Work!!
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:44 PM   #7
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

Yes Sir GE, You have done it again. I am dl'ding right now. This whole concept of the GIS is really an exciting feature, and can't wait to try this out. GE, you have taken SH3 to another level, my hat is off to you my friend. Expect me to spread the word to other forums as always
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 04:56 AM   #8
shegeek72
WAV

Downloads: 94

Ack! I was going to d/l it when I saw it needs Microshaft's dotNET. Last time I installed .net it screwed up my custom desktop, that took two hours to get back to normal.
--
shegeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 05:36 AM   #9
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170

I dont know what happened to you SG, but I have never had a problem with Dotnet 2, it has always worked for me with previous SH3 Gen versions. The only problem I have, is that GIS is not sending my password. I am ready to install this bad boy, but I am waiting for confirmation from these turkeys. What's holding up the train, I am ready to ride the rails of this exciting new concept of SH3 Gen(Most likely the biggest breakthruogh of SH3 so far)
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 10:00 AM   #10
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsman
WOOW!!! It's compatible with SH3 Commander and GWX 1.02?

Great Work!!
Yes, they are even recommended for it. Am using GWX 1.02 atm and having a blast. Go to http://www.global-explorer.de/ to see why it is safe to use Sh3Gen with any mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegeek72
Ack! I was going to d/l it when I saw it needs Microshaft's dotNET. Last time I installed .net it screwed up my custom desktop, that took two hours to get back to normal.
--
Hm. I have installed dotNet on hundreds of different computers and never had a problem. Otherwise I wouldn't use it for my programs. Most problems I ever heard of was when people were downloading version 2.0 beta when they should have sticked with version 1.1. Apart from that, mostly Microsoft Angst.

Anyway, it's a decision you make yourself. If you don't trust a piece of software, or don't understand it, don't use it.

GE

Old 03-02-07, 10:01 AM   #11
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Tuddley, please check you pm. GE

Old 03-02-07, 03:46 PM   #12
shegeek72
WAV

Downloads: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddley3
I dont know what happened to you SG, but I have never had a problem with Dotnet 2, it has always worked for me with previous SH3 Gen versions. The only problem I have, is that GIS is not sending my password. I am ready to install this bad boy, but I am waiting for confirmation from these turkeys. What's holding up the train, I am ready to ride the rails of this exciting new concept of SH3 Gen(Most likely the biggest breakthruogh of SH3 so far)
Do you have a custom desktop with dual monitors? Perhaps it has no problems with Microshaft's stock desktop.
--
shegeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 06:38 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm more than happy with this

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 06:43 AM   #14
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Thats correct mam. I have never used / tested with a dual desktop, and as such your word weighs heavier than mine in that respect.

It's a pity because I am hoping for someone with a dual monitor to test Sh3Gen TR, because he/she could run the TR on the second monitor and look at it during TC.

To clarify for everyone what a runtime component like dotNET is: it provides libraries that are loaded (only!) if a program is utilizing the runtime. That means whenever the programmer is calling a function from the runtime, he doesn't have to write it himself, thats the whole point in it. It saves time / energy, and the programs run better because the runtime functions are well tested.

While you don't use dotNET applications, the runtime behaves like a normal application that is not running, i.e. it takes up disk space and thats it.

GE

Old 03-09-07, 08:31 PM   #15
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

Seems to be 2 threads on this, not sure which one to use.

Installed the tracking system version ... works great. Put the GIS viewer on my laptop, copied over the user data files, pulled them up in the viewer, no problem at all.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, this really adds to the atmosphere of the game, thanks very much GE.
bert8for3 is offline   Reply With Quote