SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-08, 01:35 AM   #1
IJN
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Launchable Planes In Playable IJN taiho?

hey guyz, this should my 1st post ,

when i found out SH4 has playable surface ships i was shocked
my eyes went wide and stuff

now i downloaded Littorio,bismarck,admiralscheer,taiho,yamato,and blah blah blah

now is it possible to launch or AI launch the planes in the playable IJN TaihO?
IJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 06:51 AM   #2
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Hi!

This thread was moved from the ATO forum since its topic (Taiho) seems better aligned with the Fleet Boat Mods than the Atlantic U-boat mods.

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 06:58 AM   #3
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

well people were thinking about making an airfield follow your ship, so those with launchable aircraft will be able to take off...even though there are no takeoff anims.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 07:52 AM   #4
G.K.
Loader

Downloads: 36

Whoa, looks like an interesting idea
Also useful for IJN Sub mod, I have always wanted to have launchable planes here
Old 10-30-08, 08:04 AM   #5
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
well people were thinking about making an airfield follow your ship, so those with launchable aircraft will be able to take off...even though there are no takeoff anims.
I want it !!!

why doesn't anyone ever tell me about these things ? I got two subs waiting to sent out patrol aircrafts now ! the Jyusen B and the Type AM....

Keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:45 PM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
Well, to get it done you will need to overcome two problems in the game I spent a little time trying different stuff.

1. The flyable planes are not the same planes you see on the ships. Same with the one that you see landed in the water. If a flyable plane touches ground, water, or a ship it blows up. So they can't land or take off. So you need to figure a way around that. Not saying it can't be done, just something to work out. And you could make a plane start flying just above the surface of the ship to simulate a takeoff but it won't spawn within 20 miles of the player unit, so you will never see it.

2. A Airbase will not follow waypoints so it won't follow the ship. Again not saying it can't be done, you just have to figure out how.

But those are the main reasons why we don't already have planes taking off from ships and subs.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 02:36 PM   #7
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

I wanted that in TSWSM but the things mentioned above stopped me, as well as a super virus that deleted everything

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 02:59 PM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank
I wanted that in TSWSM but the things mentioned above stopped me, as well as a super virus that deleted everything
Just a suggestion, but if you got a virus, you may want to d/l your stuff from filefront and check it out so you don't spread it.

Sorry you lost your stuff, that must be a real pain!!

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 10-30-08, 03:18 PM   #9
tomhugill
Planesman

Downloads: 23

Ive had a thought about this , would it be possible to spawn an airbase in real time > 20km away from you so would give the illusion of moving with you?
tomhugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 03:42 PM   #10
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhugill
Ive had a thought about this , would it be possible to spawn an airbase in real time > 20km away from you so would give the illusion of moving with you?
There are so many planes in the game I don't see the value. Carriers appear to generate planes wherever they go anyway, they were just trying to see if they could get them to launch so you could see it.
I have not tested it but even if you could generate an airbase, you would need to create a 'zone' that when you enter it, it would create the airbase. And once a zone is used, you can't use it again. So you would have zones all over the Pacific. (not to mention airbases all over the Pacific)

For example on zones. Say you put two zones in the channel into Pearl Harbor. You start inside the harbor and as you pass through zone one it spawns a Task Force attacking Pearl. So you go attack it. Now zone two is set to welcome you back and give you a pat on the back if you sank a carrier. Well, it will never happen. Why you ask. Because you passed through the zone leaving the harbor, even though it did nothing because you didn't sink the carrier yet. When you sink the carrier you have met the conditions of zone 2 and it will welcome you back to Pearl, even though you are in the middle of the Pacific 500 miles away. But when you return to Pearl it will do nothing, it has already been "triggered" when you left.

Your idea may be useful for other things so keep coming up with ideas. I am not trying to discourage you, I have bumped into some things while trying other things and got an unexpected result and then :hmm::hmm: wonder how I could use that? So don't give up on ideas, you may find something you didn't expect.

Peabody

Old 10-30-08, 04:02 PM   #11
tomhugill
Planesman

This idea would be for simulating your bb (or stupidly large sub) having scout aircraft , regarding zones , as your probably not going to recross previous zones too much setting others off wouldnt be a problem , and would it not be possible to have a trigger such that spawning the next zone despawns the previous one?
Old 10-30-08, 05:08 PM   #12
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
This idea would be for simulating your bb (or stupidly large sub) having scout aircraft , regarding zones , as your probably not going to recross previous zones too much setting others off wouldnt be a problem , and would it not be possible to have a trigger such that spawning the next zone despawns the previous one?
Yes, you could have a zone spawn scout aircraft as long as it's 20 miles away. But you don't need an airbase to do it. And a carrier can't trigger a zone, it has to be a players sub. Now having said that, if you are using the playable surface ship, that has to be converted to a sub to be playable so it does become the playable sub and will trigger zones. So you could have a BB or carrier trigger a zone as long as it's the players one that does it. (you may already know that, but for those who do not)

And you don't need to despawn a zone. It doesn't show, and like I commented it doesn't work a second time so it really doesn't do anything except take up some memory to keep track of it. But it is there for the one mission, and when you return to base and do another mission it no longer exists. (of course depending on how you script the campaign). All that is assuming of course that you write it properly so it does not show a big yellow star in it!! Otherwise you would have a map full of stars with flags and binoculars.:rotfl:.

Peabody

Old 10-30-08, 05:29 PM   #13
tomhugill
Planesman

So if im understanding you correctly you could put these zones all over the map and they would spawn a scout that would work like the ones from the jap air bases?
Old 10-30-08, 07:25 PM   #14
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
So if im understanding you correctly you could put these zones all over the map and they would spawn a scout that would work like the ones from the jap air bases?
Entering the zone 'triggers' the spawn and you put the planes in to do what you want and go exactly where you want, but it doesn't happen until you enter the 'zone'. Like ships or subs you create a random group with "air" instead of "naval" and create waypoints for the planes. The trouble with the whole thing is the 20 miles, you may never see the planes unless you can make the player go to a specific location, a bay or harbor and make the planes fly over them.

From an airbase the game spawns them and they go where ever the game is programmed to make them go.
The other problem is putting zones all over means every one will have to have a scout spawned and fly a route.
And how many times have you been on the surface with a sub and got a contact in the air that is about to drop bombs on you and you can't see it?

So in a Campaign setting it is better to have the enemy in a specific location, you go to a specific location and the planes fly over and attack. You don't have to be 20 miles from the target, just 20 miles from the 'spawn' location. That way you can see what is happening. Two examples are the Battle off Sumar and the Battle of Midway single missions. But for just randomly going around the Pacific triggering zones is not going to do much, since you won't see the planes and you won't know where the enemy is to control the flight path.

Peabody

Old 10-31-08, 07:01 AM   #15
IJN
Nub

Downloads: 0

i gotta idea

what if the "planes" that you launch can be a special ability ?
like 1 crew member is a pilot or something and 5 min cooldown and 30 min duration for the planes am i right?

anyway thats just an idea
IJN is offline   Reply With Quote