Old 03-05-20, 05:45 PM   #751
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Anti-social behaviour at its best. If that does not deserve charges for multiple physical assault (=Körperverletzung), then I don't know.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-05-20 at 08:30 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 06:09 PM   #752
Skybird
Soaring

FOCUS magazine, Germany:

Quote:
Top news (10:31 p.m.): The scientists of the German Primate Center (Leibniz Institute for Primate Research) in Göttingen identified a possible drug against the novel corona virus in a study. First of all, the researchers discovered a cellular enzyme that is essential for the virus to enter the lung cells - the protease TMPRSS2.

An existing drug that can inhibit this enzyme could therefore be a promising treatment option, the scientists continue. The drug, which is called Camostat Mesilate, has already been approved in Japan. The researchers are now investigating whether it can prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2. "We tested SARS-CoV-2 from a patient and found that Camostat Mesilate blocks the virus from entering the lung cells," says Markus Hoffmann, first author of the study.
Case number in Germany: 400-500. The Robert-Koch Institute (=German CDC) and the health ministry of Northrhine-Westfalia disagree over the numbers.
Old 03-05-20, 06:24 PM   #753
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
@ Skybird.

Thank you for your answer.

It was not exactly what I was asking.

So I will create an example

Person A get infected on day zero time zero(let pretend he shake hand with another person around noon-12 pm)

We know or I have been told this virus infect during its Incubation time.

What I would like to know is, when does Person A start to infect others ?
They say it is 10-20 times as infectous as SARS, and SARS was more infectous than seasonal flu. The probability of getting infected by a patient is the higher the more upwards in the respiratory system the virus already is located. Unfortunately, the upper jaw region holds very high ammounts of the virus. If you got contact with a person who turned out to be infected, do not play with probability numbers and hours counted - but assume your defence being breeched already. Have you notied that they try to pick up people who had contact to a known later patient, no matter any time factors ans severeness of symptoms in said patientr? They try to pick them all nevertheless, and as fast as possible. It seems nobody really knows absolutely sure how fast it goes, and it may also vary by individual factors of patients. Anyone who got the virus, no matter whether he has symptoms or not, can infect you, because he then carries the virus. A new patient where the virus still sits deep in the respiratory system, nevertheless can infect you by smear infection: person moves his hand to the face and mouth (people usually do that 2-3 thousand times a day), and then shakes your hand or a surface of a table or a grip (see below), or he is coughing and breathing or simply speaking and happen to already breath out virus with his breathing moisture. It seems nobody yet knows how fast it goes. But it is known that this thing is infectous as hell.

Quarantining people does not care for how long contact is ago. Quarantining people as early as possible is the priority in any case.

If you want to know whether you got hit by somebody or not, self-quarantine yourself at least 14 days, better longer, and then you see what happens - or try to get tested. which seems to be difficult in Germany, we learn over here. Labs already work at their limits.

Consider also another risk. The virus currently is expected to survive on smooth surfaces for up to nine days, which is quite long for a virus, I think, many virusses can live just hours outside the body. Cold temperature and high air moisture help it further to survive outside a physiological environment. Clean things with desinfectant that have been touched and used by an infected person, or a "candidate".

Last edited by Skybird; 03-05-20 at 06:39 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:17 PM   #754
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:27 PM   #755
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Far more dangerous? Not likely, doctors, nurses, geneticists, scientists, all 'medical professionals' have a pretty good understanding how coronavirus including COVID-19 works. I would even go so far as to say the mystery is pretty much over. We also have a truck load of statistical information on how and who it affects by age group. We should know by now it is the elderly who are going to get hit hardest by this virus outbreak as is the case with even the common flu. Italy's elderly makes up almost 25% of their population. Only country I know of that has more is Japan. I expect death rates to be much higher in those countries for that reason.
Not sure I agree.

Quote:
In China, a 36-year-old man who had been confirmed to have the new coronavirus and was discharged from a hospital in Wuhan on February 26 has died, according to the Chinese publication the Paper, who cited his wife.

The man suddenly became ill on March 2 and died after going to the hospital. The cause of death was respiratory failure caused by the coronavirus, the Guardian reports.

China has been noting daily increases in the number of people “cured” or discharged from hospitals after being confirmed to have the virus. But, after several cases of released patients testing positive again, authorities in Hubei ordered that released patients be quarantined for another 14 days.

Beijing Ditan Hospital in Beijing has meanwhile found that a patient who tested positive for has suffered viral encephalitis caused by the coronavirus, adding to evidence the infections can cause damage to patients’ nervous systems.
And NNU Jane Thomason shares the disturbing results of our national #COVID19 survey of more than 6,500 registered nurses.

“Only 29% report that there is a plan in place to isolate a patient with a possible novel coronavirus infection. 23% report they don't know if there is a plan.”
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:46 PM   #756
Traveller
Captain

I have to agree with Neal. There's a good chance the more virulent and deadly Type L strain is reinfecting people, and it is killing younger people, too. I know of at least 3 female Chinese medical workers in their 20s from Wuhan that died from the virus, and I'm sure there are many more we don't know about. I also read that Wuhan hospitals reported relapse / reinfection rates of over 18%. And again, it's much deadlier the second time around if reinfected, increasing the risk of heart failure and other complications.

Regarding Italy, it appears that they are being hit by the deadlier and more virulent L strain. Same with Iran. Furthermore, I read a few days ago that hospitals in northern Italy were already overloaded and at their breaking point. Besides possible reinfections / relapses, this might also account for the higher death rate of 3.5% there. Many patients simply are not getting proper treatment, so expect the death rate to increase later as more become infected.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-05-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 09:14 PM   #757
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I dont mean to disregard all possibilities. Could this virus be planted by extraterrestrials in a bid to take over the world? Maybe!

Believe it or not I'm just trying to be reasonable. I understand there is also political pressure by Chinese authorities to reduce on paper the number of new infections. In fact their numbers have always been suspect right from the get go. So I dont doubt there may have also been several proclamations of so called miracle cures too. But where I lean too is the possibility medical staff are so overworked, tired and like us here too much focused on COVID-19. Completely missing other health issues which may have arisen from being infected by COVID-19. Like viral encephalitis of the brain.

I still stand by the idea the reason for Italy's current death rate is due to the age of the infected population and maybe even poor or overwhelmed health care services. Not by some unknown mysterious more super powerful strain of cooties that by magic appeared out of nowhere and killed that Chinese guy in just five days of being discharged from hospital. Anyone can track the virus in real time by going to 'Nexstrain'. Speaking of Nexstrain, according to analysts COVID-19 is thought to have been in Seattle since mid-January. Seems it may have gotten around in the U.S. long before it even had a name or border closures.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-20 at 08:53 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:33 PM   #758
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I dont mean to disregard all possibilities. Could this virus be planted by extraterrestrials in a bid to take over the world? Maybe!
Good thing you put a smile on that post we are not allowed to bash each other

I've never been to Italy or China, but I've been to Seattle many times

Seattle is old, the homes are old, the buildings are old, the people are old (percentage wise)

Italy is crowded and it is old

China is crowded and it is old

Japan is crowded and it is old

South Korea is crowded and it is old

Where do people go to the restrooms in old cities?

I have a hunch that too close of contact with people that have to go to the restroom could be a contributing factor.

Especially in North Korea where they have a lot of communal style restrooms visited by the majority of the population.

February is over March is here what's next increase or decrease?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:34 PM   #759
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I still stand by the idea the reason for Italy's current death rate is due to the age of the infected population

You may be right. Isn't is something like half of the US deaths associated with the virus out of that one Seattle retirement home?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:36 PM   #760
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I have to agree with Neal. There's a good chance the more virulent and deadly Type L strain is reinfecting people, and it is killing younger people, too. I know of at least 3 female Chinese medical workers in their 20s from Wuhan that died from the virus, and I'm sure there are many more we don't know about. I also read that Wuhan hospitals reported relapse / reinfection rates of over 18%. And again, it's much deadlier the second time around if reinfected, increasing the risk of heart failure and other complications.

Regarding Italy, it appears that they are being hit by the deadlier and more virulent L strain. Same with Iran. Furthermore, I read a few days ago that hospitals in northern Italy were already overloaded and at their breaking point. Besides possible reinfections / relapses, this might also account for the higher death rate of 3.5% there. Many patients simply are not getting proper treatment, so expect the death rate to increase later as more become infected.

Again, I think the more reasonable explanation concerning the death of those noble young medical staff is simply that they were human. They were being overworked, poor nutrition, lack of sleep, emotionally drained and physically exhausted, they literally gave their all to help others, dont ever forget them. Any or all of those conditions are well known to be contributing factors which can devastate a persons immune response to viral infection.

Please understand I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation we find ourselves in. Just trying to give reason a chance, instead of what I perceive as the constant looking for of the newest, biggest, meanest, deadliest. unrestrained mutated boogeyman at every turn.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-05-20 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 10:13 PM   #761
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well enjoy your isolation. I work in hospitals and will likely be exposed at some point and I do take it seriously, so given all that is known, just what is reasonable?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 10:25 PM   #762
Traveller
Captain

Rockstar, no problem. I hope you're right. I really do.

Why everyone should wear a mask- whether infected or not:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...surgical-mask/
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...n-coronavirus/

At first, I was skeptical about surgical masks because of all the officials in Western countries claiming they do not protect you if are not infected. Now I know this is absolutely not true. They are basically lying.

They only say this to discourage people from buying them because of world-wide shortages. The good news is that surgical masks work almost as well as N95 masks at blocking coronavirus particles. Get a mask if you can and always wear it when going out. N95 is best, but surgical masks also work great at blocking this virus as long as they fit fairly well with few gaps. Heck, even a handkerchief blocks 28% of coronavirus particles. Eye protection is also a must.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-05-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 10:46 PM   #763
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Well enjoy your isolation. I work in hospitals and will likely be exposed at some point and I do take it seriously, so given all that is known, just what is reasonable?

I think its reasonable to assume you and I will be infected, by either a Type L, Type S mutation or both at the same time of COVID-19. Type L being the more virulent of the two.

see: https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance...searchresult=1

I think its reasonable to assume our health is extremely important when it comes to our immune system and your ability to help others. You must get SLEEP, you must eat right, exercise and find someone to hash it out with if find you're becoming emotionally overwhelmed.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017...=1401485533317

I think our chances being abducted by aliens are greater than dying from coronavirus.

According to the "Roper Poll" 6% of Americans claimed to have been abducted by aliens

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-20 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 10:51 PM   #764
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Shouldn't we be thinking about the poor UPS/FedX drivers

Hub grub delivery

Water delivery people

Diaper service

Postal service workers

Taxi drivers

Law enforcement

1st responders

and the list goes on

Let us know when you see these people wearing mask

PS My first day in 27 days without coughing
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 10:52 PM   #765
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Rockstar, no problem. I hope you're right. I really do.

Why everyone should wear a mask- whether infected or not:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...surgical-mask/
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...n-coronavirus/

At first, I was skeptical about surgical masks protecting non-infected people, because of all the officials in Western countries claiming they do not protect you if are not infected. Now I know this is absolutely not true. They are basically lying.

They only say this to discourage people from buying them because of world-wide shortages. Even surgical masks work almost as well at blocking this coronavirus as N95 masks do. Get a mask if you can and always wear it when going out. N95 is best, but surgical masks also work great at blocking this virus as long as they fit fairly well with few gaps. Heck, even a handkerchief blocks 28% of coronavirus particles. Eye protection is also a must.

Wear a mask if ya got'em 1.435 BILLION Chinese cant all be wrong.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan